[comp.dcom.modems] Strange HST disconnects

RAF@CU.NIH.GOV ("Roger Fajman") (05/07/90)

> In article <1358@faatcrl.UUCP>, jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) writes:
> > BTW, the exact same thing happened with 3 different USR Dual-Standards!
> > Two externals, and one internal.
>
> there are several problems with the dual standard running in the V.32
> mode.  A friend of mine finally gave up on the idea of supporting V.32
> with his since the modems would drop the connection on a high percentage
> of the calls.

I have not experienced a problem with connections dropping once
established with my USR Dual Standards.  I'm running 9 on a BBS.  It is
important to be at the latest ROM level.  An ATI7 command should show
Supervisor date 9/29/89, IOP date 8/8/89, and DSP date 9/18/89.  The
reason for wanting to be at the latest level is problems with some 2400
bps modems connecting at 2400 bps.  It's also helpful to set the S
register that controls the duration of the V.32 answer tones (don't
have the number handy) to zero.  Doing these things takes care of most
2400 bps modem problems.  The problem modems that are left seem to have
trouble connecting to other V.32 modems as well.

Roger Fajman