[comp.dcom.modems] International line high speed modems.

devil@techunix.BITNET (Gil Tene) (05/31/90)

Hello ModemFolk,

        I am thinking of using a high speed modem for communication
between Israel and the US. I am considering a T2500, Qx/V.32c, and
USRobotics HST. I will be able to have an identical modem on the
other side, but would like to do UUCP transfers.

I am interested in MEASURED performance figures on the above modems
(or other high speed modems) over international lines from Europe
or Israel to the US. The connection throughtput is VERY important,
as it directly affects phone charges...

Please specify the Protocol used for the transfers along with the
figures, and include as much information as possible : type of
data, avg. connection length as volume, how many calls before getting a
good line, etc.

AdvTHANKS,

Gil.

| Gil Tene                      "Some days it just doesn't pay     |
| devil@techunix.technion.ac.il   to go to sleep in the morning."  |

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (05/31/90)

devil@techunix.BITNET (Gil Tene) writes:

>Hello ModemFolk,

>        I am thinking of using a high speed modem for communication
>between Israel and the US. I am considering a T2500, Qx/V.32c, and
>USRobotics HST. I will be able to have an identical modem on the
>other side, but would like to do UUCP transfers.

>I am interested in MEASURED performance figures on the above modems
>(or other high speed modems) over international lines from Europe
>or Israel to the US. The connection throughtput is VERY important,
>as it directly affects phone charges...

Using Hayes 9600 V-Series modems transatlantic has been next to impossible
for us.  The modems will connect at 9600, but during their protocol
negotiation, they ALWAYS drop the line.  Connecting at 2400 is no problem.
Other modems may be better, but I recommend against Hayes for high-speed
international, based on my experience. (However, I really like them for
calls within the U.S.)
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

"Don't hold your finger on the button if the motor ain't goin' roundy-roundy."