[comp.dcom.modems] looking for upgrade to speeds > 2400

tim@chaos.math.uakron.edu (Timothy Smith) (05/31/90)

Hello all,

	Im looking to replace my dead 2400 modem with something faster.
I have a couple of picks but no clear winner.

1) 2400 with MNP/5
2) v.32 modem
3) HST 1400

My questions are which of the modems are the most cost-effective..
I maining do BBS'ing of reading messages and downloading files in either
the ZIP or ARC format..
What down MNP/5 really buy you in the real world?
Is buying the HST modem (no v.32) a really stupid thing to do.. ??
If I buy a v.32 should it also have MNP/5 ??

I really only want to spend no more than 400-500 dollars, so what is the
best choice..

					thanks

tim smith
tim@chaos.math.uakron.edu

In article <485@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU> tim@chaos.math.uakron.edu writes:
> Hello all,
>
> 	Im looking to replace my dead 2400 modem with something faster.
> I have a couple of picks but no clear winner.
>
> 1) 2400 with MNP/5 > 2) v.32 modem > 3) HST 1400

> My questions are which of the modems are the most cost-effective..
> I maining do BBS'ing of reading messages and downloading files in either
> the ZIP or ARC format..

If BBS activity is your main thrill, I'd suggest the HST either vanilla,
14400 or dual standard, depending on how much you want to invest.

> I really only want to spend no more than 400-500 dollars, so what is the
> best choice..

I think your price limit actually precludes one of the dual standard modems
and a v.32 modem isn't going to get you anywhere near as much BBS access as
the HST will.