[comp.dcom.modems] Why 300 baud?

joel@techunix.BITNET (Yossi (Joel) Hoffman) (05/30/90)

I was wondering:  why is it that all the common modem speeds are
multiples of 300 baud?  Is there anything special about that number?

Please reply by e-mail, as I don't often read this group.

Thanks.

-Joel
(joel@techunix.technion.ac.il -or- joel@techunix.BITNET)

--

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (05/31/90)

In article <9686@discus.technion.ac.il> joel%techunix.bitnet@jade.berkeley.edu (Yossi (Joel) Hoffman) writes:
>I was wondering:  why is it that all the common modem speeds are
>multiples of 300 baud?  Is there anything special about that number?

Why, yes, there is.  Long ago in the olden days the Teletype corporation
invented a terminal (models 33 and 35) that would wack along at 10 characters
per second, which was 110 baud (because there were 2 stop bits those days).
Later, Teletype tried to see just how fast a mechanical device could go, so
the model 37 was invented - which had upper and LOWER case characters, black
and RED ribbon, and in general was always on the hairy edge of working.  At
that time, they decided that the mechanical clutch used to decode characters
would drop out in 1 stop bit time.  The mechanism could push 15 characters
per second, so it ran at 150 baud.  That's probably close to the limit, as
IBM only got 14.8 cps on its Selectric terminals (2740 and 2741).  The clutch
dropout time was the reason old Baudot (5-level) teletypes required a stop
bit that was 1.42 data bits long (since rounded to 1.5 in VLSI chips).

The Bell 103 modem, which was current in those days, would run reliably only
up to 300 baud, because of bandwidth constraints -- so the next logical
baud rate was 300.  The Bell 212 actually runs at 600 baud, coding 2 bits
per symbol.  The natural progression was then, 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200.
[Why powers of 2?  Because you have to synthesize the baud rate from some
standard crystal frequency, and divide-by-2 circuits are easier than other
divisors -- before LSI, we had to do it with flip-flops and gates].

ANSI was trying to standardize baud rates during the same time frame, and so
there is an ANSI standard somewhere setting standard baud rates at 200, 400,
800, 1600, etc.  I actually build an interface to a 1600 baud banking terminal
once.

Not to be outdone, IBM -- who always want proprietary hardware, started using
1800, 3600, 7200, and 14400 bps as their synchronous bit rates.

Tannenbaum was right.  The nice thing about standards is that there are so
many of them.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (99700000) (05/31/90)

In article <9686@discus.technion.ac.il> joel%techunix.bitnet@jade.berkeley.edu (Yossi (Joel) Hoffman) writes:
>I was wondering:  why is it that all the common modem speeds are
>multiples of 300 baud?  Is there anything special about that number?

I'll post a reply here because it might be of more general interest.
The formula is actually 75 baud time 2^n (so 75 and 150 are also
standard speeds).  This was standardized by somebody, probably the
military, circa 1960.

The origin of 75 is that the standard communication machine of the period
was Baudot Teletype at 100 words per minute, using a 7.42-unit start-stop
code (which today we call asynchronous).  I don't know how 7.42 was arrived
at; but it goes way back in history to speeds slower than 100 wpm.
At 100 wpm, which is 10 char/sec, the Teletype sends at 74.2 baud.
The military, more than anybody else at the time, was interested in
synchronous transmission, apparently because cryptographic equipment
works that way.  So they rounded up to 75 baud from 74.2; and from
there it's reasonable to say that every standard speed should be
double the next lower speed.  Not much point in having a speed increase
if you don't double it.

Now we get 110 baud, the widely-used speed that doesn't fit the
formula, because if you keep the Teletype at 10 char/sec and transmit
ASCII in an 11-unit start-stop code that's what you get.  Eleven
rather than ten because the mechanical equipment needed more than
one bit time to get stopped at 10 char/sec.  There was also a speed
of 1050 baud in use because Teletype made a paper tape punch that
was designed for a top speed of 105 char/sec.  The short-lived
Teletype Model 37 operated at 150 baud, 150 wpm; it was the last
gasp of mechanical ingenuity up against electronics rapidly falling
in price.
haynes@ucscc.ucsc.edu
haynes@ucscc.bitnet
..ucbvax!ucscc!haynes

"Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an Art."
        Charles McCabe, San Francisco Chronicle

kindred@pyrite.telesci.UUCP (David L Kindred (Dave)) (06/01/90)

In article <1990May31.025608.18545@Neon.Stanford.EDU> kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) writes:

   In article <9686@discus.technion.ac.il> joel%techunix.bitnet@jade.berkeley.edu (Yossi (Joel) Hoffman) writes:
   >I was wondering:  why is it that all the common modem speeds are
   >multiples of 300 baud?  Is there anything special about that number?
<lot's deleted>
   the next logical
   baud rate was 300.  The Bell 212 actually runs at 600 baud, coding 2 bits
   per symbol.  The natural progression was then, 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200.
<more deleted>
   ANSI was trying to standardize baud rates during the same time frame, and so
   there is an ANSI standard somewhere setting standard baud rates at 200, 400,
   800, 1600, etc.
<more deleted>
   Not to be outdone, IBM -- who always want proprietary hardware, started using
   1800, 3600, 7200, and 14400 bps as their synchronous bit rates.
<more deleted>

	Along the lines a strange baud rates, I personally have run
into the all time favorite baud rates of 134.5 and 1050.  The 134.5
was used in a six bit commodities ticker, but I can not remember what
used 1050, I ran into it while working for a company that was doing
work for the Associated Press, so I suspect it was used in some of
their older network equipment.  For really old equipment, 50 and 75
baud were also used.
--

EMail: kindred@telesci.UUCP (...!princeton!pyrnj!telesci!kindred)
CI$: 72456,3226 (72456.3226@compuserve.com)

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (06/02/90)

In article <KINDRED.90May31185056@pyrite.telesci.UUCP> kindred@telesci.uucp writes:
>	Along the lines a strange baud rates, I personally have run
>into the all time favorite baud rates of 134.5 and 1050.  The 134.5
>was used in a six bit commodities ticker,...

134.5 was also the baud rate used by the (half-duplex) IBM 2740 and 2741
Selectric typewriters.  This works out to 14.9+ characters per second, since
they used a 9-bit code (1 start, 1 stop, 7 data - sent HIGH BIT first).

1050 was what.. anybody.. I seem to remember Kleinschmidt reperforators
(tape punches) running at that speed.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)