[comp.dcom.modems] curious about toggling DCD

rguido@bunker.UUCP (Roy Guidonte) (06/08/90)

Can anyone think of any applications that would need a modem to toggle DCD ?
(other than to get a SIGHUP to a process).  I believe ATT calls this feature
'CD Wink'.  Just curious.

Roy Guidonte - ISC-Bunker Ramo,an Olivetti Company, Shelton, CT - (203)337-1200
uucp address: ...{iscuva,decvax,yale,philabs,oliveb}!bunker!rguido

jst@cca.ucsf.edu (Joe Stong) (06/11/90)

In article <12306@bunker.UUCP> rguido@bunker.UUCP (Roy Guidonte) writes:

>Can anyone think of any applications that would need a modem to toggle DCD ?
>(other than to get a SIGHUP to a process).  I believe ATT calls this feature
>'CD Wink'.  Just curious.

There's a broken series of UART's (6250's?) that were popular a few
years back, that would refuse to output characters if CD(DCD) wasn't
asserted.  If you wanted to get your SIGHUP when CD went away, but wanted
to be able to send characters to the modem when CD wasn't asserted (needed
for dialing!) you need CD to disappear briefly, and come back.

	Joe Stong	jst@cca.ucsf.edu