[comp.dcom.modems] Modem Troubles

dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (11/02/87)

Having a bit of a trouble with my modem in answer mode.  Just wondering if
anybody has had similar problems, or would know how to fix it:

When my modem's in answer mode, and a call comes in, here's what happens:

it sends a high-pitched tone, and waits for the caller to make some noise.
At this point, I can drop the DTR and hang up, and all is well.

If the caller sends a valid carrier, then the connection is made, the
carrier is detected, I can drop the DTR to hang up, and all is well.

However, if, after sending this high-pitched tone, certain noise (but not
a valid carrier) is received by the modem from the phone line (busy signals,
dial tones, or any shhhhhh sound), then the modem response with a harsher
carrier (shhhhh--which I think is normal) and hangs bad, probably looking
for a valid carrier, after hearing some indication of noise.

Nothing short of a power-down will remedy this hangup (dropping DTR fails,
+++ fails, etc. etc.)

This is very annoying, as any bogus call with any form of noise on the line
will hang the modem until I come to rescue it.

Any suggestions?

dalegass@dalcsug.uucp

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (11/02/87)

In article <179@dalcsug.UUCP>, dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (Dale Gass) writes:

> However, if, after sending this high-pitched tone, certain noise (but not
> a valid carrier) is received by the modem from the phone line (busy signals,
> dial tones, or any shhhhhh sound), then the modem response with a harsher
> carrier (shhhhh--which I think is normal) and hangs bad, probably looking
> for a valid carrier, after hearing some indication of noise.

  I once had one of the Qubie 2400 Hayes compatible modems that would do
this very thing consistently when running Procomm under MSDOS. My Hayes
SM2400 worked fine. My solution: I returned the Qubie and got my money
back and purchased another Hayes SM2400  ---- Prolem solved. :-)

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           Packet: WA3WBU @ AK3P

jbritain@pnet01.cts.com (Jim Britain) (11/02/87)

Sounds perfectly normal to me.  The pure tone you hear, when the modem first
answers the phone, is an interrogation for 300 baud, and signal provided for
phasing at the other end.  The shusshing noise you hear, is a modem signal of
a higher speed.

The real problem that you have, is allowing the modem to answer the phone on
the first ring.  It simply beats you to the telephone, when it rings.  Your
solution, will depend upon which modem you have.  If it has no intelligence
whatsoever, you will have to disconnect it.  Some use the command ATX, to
disable answerring.  Another method (if intelligent), is to set the number of
rings, to 3, or so, to allow you time to answer the phone first.

A solid solution, really depends upon knowing what brand of modem you have,
and what language it speaks.  In all cases, a seperate line, will solve your
problem.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!jbritain
ARPA: crash!pnet01!jbritain@nosc.mil
INET: jbritain@pnet01.CTS.COM

dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (11/03/87)

In article <179@dalcsug.UUCP>, I write:
> However, if, after sending this high-pitched tone, certain noise (but not
> a valid carrier) is received by the modem from the phone line (busy signals,
> dial tones, or any shhhhhh sound), then the modem response with a harsher
> carrier (shhhhh--which I think is normal) and hangs bad, probably looking
> for a valid carrier, after hearing some indication of noise.
> Nothing short of a power-down will remedy this hangup (dropping DTR fails,
> +++ fails, etc. etc.)

Well, I found a solution for this, in case anybody is having similar problems.

It seems that the cause of this was that the 'baah baah' was being mistaken
for a candidate for a carrier.  My register S9 (time to wait for a valid
carrier) was 8/10ths of a second, and this 'baaah' of a busy signal fell
within this threshold.  Once it thought it might be a carrier, it would not
give up.

By setting S9=30 (3 seconds, probably doesn't need to be that high), my modem
no longer mistakes busy signals or noisy connection 'clunk's as carriers,
and I have had it freeze on me since.

Once again, the net provides no answers, and the problem is solved at home...

Just hope this helps someone...

-swabe

gary@percival.UUCP (Gary Wells) (11/06/87)

swabe writes:

"Once again, the problem is solved at home, and the net provides no answers."

True.  Pose a unique enough problem, in excruciaitng but totally useless
detail, about a obscure bug, occuring at only one site, and the net does have
a history of not helping.  It also was obviously not terribly difficult to
resolve, witness _your_ ablity to fix it.  There is an obvious solution, get off
the net!
.

Still working on _natural_ intelligence.

gary@percival

dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (11/09/87)

In article <972@percival.UUCP> gary@percival.UUCP (Gary Wells) writes:
>True.  Pose a unique enough problem, in excruciaitng but totally useless
>detail, about a obscure bug, occuring at only one site, and the net does have
>a history of not helping.  It also was obviously not terribly difficult to
>resolve, witness _your_ ablity to fix it.  There is an obvious solution, get off
>the net!

Well, excuuuuusee me.  I hate to start a flame of a flame of a flame chain,
but I really don't think this was called for.

I was having modem problems, and was simply looking for help.  And it turns
out that this problem is not quite so obscure, not occuring only at one
site.  When I posted this article, I received *four* responses from other
people having similar problems, and asking me to mail them any solutions
obtained from the net.

Since I have posted the resolution to my problem, I have received
five responses from these and other people *thanking* me for the solution of
the problem.

Just because the occasional article happens not to be of immediate interest
to you, or you haven't encountered the problem and take no interest in trying
to help, this is no reason to publicly rag at someone experiencing a real
problem.  Try hitting the 'n' key once in awhile--it *is* a fact of life
that you won't be interested or have a useful response for every article.

I don't think the fact that I was able to eventually fix it means that the
net couldn't have helped.  I'm sure there were people who have experienced
this problem before (as it seems to be prevalent in inexpensive hayes clones),
but either figured someone else would reply, or simply just couldn't be
bothered...

The detailed explanation of the problem is certainly more appropriate than
a brief overview, since these tend to be misinterpreted.

>get off the net!

I would suggest that articles posted simply for the sake of ragging at
a posting cause more of a problem than they resolve.

My two previous postings helped solve four or five people's modems problems.
Mr. Wells' flame (and hence this response) help no one.

Sheeesshhh, don't some people have better things to do than playing net-cops?

-swabe

bjm@bigben.uucp (Brendan McMahon) (06/12/90)

[ Sorry if this appears twice in c.s.att, I originally posted also to
  comp.sys.sun and         our Pnews to moderated groups trashes
  the posting to other groups in the newsgroups line. ]

We use AT&T-4024 2400 baud modems on our Sun3/260's and Sun4/390.
On SUNOS3.5 we had no trouble using these modems in the AT
command mode.  The same configuration under SUNOS4.03 no longer
works.  As soon as the remote modem picks up, the local modem
drops everything and hangs up.

Another modem problem we have, regardless of modem vendor, is that
upon disconnecting from a tip session, and preparing to issue a
tilde-dot to return to the shell we get:

write: No such device or address
                                 write: No such device or address

this happens when any character is typed.  We need to madly type ~.
about 100 times to get tip to quit.

Any help with either problem is greatly appreciated!  Thanks
--
My Opinions only
...rochester!rocksanne!bigben!bjm           <=====>         bjm.rochia@xerox.com