[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit to China

kunkee@ficc.ferranti.com (randy kunkee) (06/14/90)

I'd like to set up a Trailblazer Plus in China to support a customer
there.  Has anyone done this before?  What's your experience of the
quality of the transmission (UUCP and interative), between the U.S.
and there?
--
Randy Kunkee, System Manager
Ferranti International Controls Corporation

In article <NU:3RT6@xds13.ferranti.com> kunkee@ficc.ferranti.com (randy kunkee) writes:
> I'd like to set up a Trailblazer Plus in China to support a customer
> there.  Has anyone done this before?  What's your experience of the
> quality of the transmission (UUCP and interative), between the U.S.
> and there?

Depends what you mean by China - we use a TB+ to get to Hong Kong and see
thruput equivalent to ~5KBps, but we've had some reliability problems that
haven't been fully worked out yet.  Twiddling with the various documented
and undocumented register settings supposed to help on overseas calls didn't
seem to have much effect on the thruput, but might help reliability.  It's
one of those things that whenever you have time to play with it, it works
every time...

If you're calling the mainland, a lot is going to depend on the quality and
condition of the local connection on that end and whether you get as good of
overseas lines as to HK or Taiwan.  How are voice calls?