[comp.dcom.modems] 9600 bps on an XT?

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr) (06/27/90)

In article <7cRBL1w162w@halcyon.wa.com>, ralphs@halcyon.wa.com (Ralph Sims) writes:
> If it fits, it should work.  The following is from Ray Gwinn's X00USER.DOC
> file that comes with his device X00v122a device driver package.  I generally
> look to Ray for good information when it comes to this sort of thing, as
> his development of the X00 driver has opened many a new avenue of data
> communications.

  Well, let me quote from the National Semiconductor data sheet for the
NS16550AF (P. 4-36 of the 1990 Data Communications/LAN/UARTs Handbook):

Features:

  Pin for pin compatible with the existing 16450 except for CSOUT (24) and
NC (29). The former CSOUT and NC pins are *TXRDY and *RXRDY, respectively.

[end databook citation]

  The definition of CSOUT on a 16450 and earlier parts is (from P. 4-27)

  CSOUT: Chip Select Out Pin 24: When high, it indicates that the chip has
been selected by active, CS0, CS1, and *CS2 inputs. No data transfer can
be initiated until the CSOUT signal is a logic 1. CSOUT goes low when the
UART is deselected.

[end citation]

  While it is true that almost all boards do not use this signal, I have
run into several that do. Such boards will not work with a 16550 without
some changes. In many cases it is possible to continually assert CSOUT
without harm. In others, one needs to determine which of CS0, CS1 and *CS2
are used to select the part and propagate the correct line(s), possibly
through an inverter (for *CS2) or an AND gate to CSOUT. If anyone is go-
ing to try this, please isolate (cut the etch) to the 16550's pins 24 and
29 first. The part gets a bit upset if you try to drive it's output lines.

>           A very good reference book that I use is  available from National
>           Semiconductor Corporation.   It  covers most  of the  SIO devices
>           (also  called UARTs)  that you will  find in all  PCs and clones.
>           The title  of the book is  Microcommunications Elements Databook.
>           The publication number (manual number) is  400066.

  Another source of information is National Semi's Application Note AN-493,
"A Comparison of the INS8250, NS16450 and NS16550AF Series of UARTs", which
documents the differences between the seven versions of these parts that
NS produces. It also describes (briefly) the no-suffix NS16550. This note
appears on P. 4-84 of the DCom/LAN/UARTs databook I cited above...

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381