[comp.dcom.modems] NEW USR HST & DUAL V.42/BIS UPGRADE AVAILABLE!!

gwang@igloo.scum.com (George Wang) (07/01/90)

the new V.42/bis upgrade for both the HST and the Dual...

If you purchased your modem after approximately 10/15/89
(the latest revision date) the upgrade is FREE!!! Otherwise,
it's $50...

The new compression (LAMP) with v.42 now gives transfer
rates of OVER 2000 CPS on COMPRESSED ZIP FILES!! And
even better on text!! THIS IS AMAZING!!!! If I'm not
correct these rates are even better than TELEBITS!!

I of course own a HST... However, as I stated a while
back, USR's dealer sales manager, Jim Summers, TOTALLY
ruins USR's reputation as a good support company...
I've had a TERRIBLE experience Jim Summers concerning
the dealer program... It's highly unfortunate that such
a fine product is undermined by a person who has no
regards to your typical college student...

George

--
George Wang
Wang Associates

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (07/04/90)

gwang@igloo.scum.com (George Wang) writes:

>The new compression (LAMP) with v.42 now gives transfer
>rates of OVER 2000 CPS on COMPRESSED ZIP FILES!! And
>even better on text!! THIS IS AMAZING!!!! If I'm not
>correct these rates are even better than TELEBITS!!

Have you tried this?  Locking at 38400 produces this
kind of throughput?  Does one need a dual standard to get
this kind of throughput - or will the pure HST work?

Is LAMP a DUPLEX protocol - or a compression form?

Can these modems finally be used with stock UUCP software
to get transfers in excess of 1500 cps?

(to answer your question - I feed around 15 telebit sites
from nstar and get 1450 cps (sending compressed news
max throughput).

>--
>George Wang
>Wang Associates
>(217) 332-4019 (Campus) -- (708) 470-0308 (Home)
>Email: gcw20877@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (INTERNET), gargoyle!igloo!gwang (UUCP)
            uucp: iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry  -or-  larry@nstar
 Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-3745 / lots of files & free PEP feeds!

rlin@cs.ubc.ca (Robert Lin) (07/04/90)

Does the V.42bis upgrade that US Robotics is providing include
the Courier V.32?

smithju@motcid.UUCP (Justin A. Smith) (07/06/90)

jeffn@nuchat.UUCP (Jeff Noxon) writes:

>gwang@igloo.scum.com (George Wang) writes:
>>The new compression (LAMP) with v.42 now gives transfer
>>rates of OVER 2000 CPS on COMPRESSED ZIP FILES!! And
>>even better on text!! THIS IS AMAZING!!!! If I'm not
>>correct these rates are even better than TELEBITS!!

>alone compressed files.  1500 CPS is really pushing it.
>I almost always get better throughput without compression,
>be it v.42, MNP, or PEP compression.
>Jeff

I usually get ~1600 CPS with my USR Dual Standard and Zmodem,
this is with MNP compression OFF, as it slows down ZIP file
transfers. I have seen ~1800 CPS When other people download
files from my BBS. I get 1700 CPS when using Ymodem-g, or Jmodem.

I Have ordered my upgrade, and am hoping that V.42 has algorythms
that will compress ZIP files without slowing data transfer. IF this is
the case then i will expect to see ~2000 CPS. I have heard of people
getting 2000 CPS `with the wind behind them', (with compressed files)
but it does not happen very often.

does V.42 use the zipp-lemfel (sorry about spelling :-) ) compression.
When i was working at BT they were doing somthing like this. Is this
the resulting standard????

Justin Smith.

             Justin Smith   SYSOP- Orange Crush BBS  (708) 359-5379
                        24 Hours USRobotics HST14400/V.32
Email UUNET smithju@motcid.uu.net  INTERNET motcid!smithju@chg.mcd.mot.com

gwang@igloo.scum.com (George Wang) (07/06/90)

In article <1990Jul04.130105.3502@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>gwang@igloo.scum.com (George Wang) writes:
>
>>The new compression (LAMP) with v.42 now gives transfer
>>rates of OVER 2000 CPS on COMPRESSED ZIP FILES!! And
>>even better on text!! THIS IS AMAZING!!!! If I'm not
>>correct these rates are even better than TELEBITS!!
>
>Have you tried this?  Locking at 38400 produces this
>kind of throughput?  Does one need a dual standard to get
>this kind of throughput - or will the pure HST work?
>
>Is LAMP a DUPLEX protocol - or a compression form?
>
>Can these modems finally be used with stock UUCP software
>to get transfers in excess of 1500 cps?

First, to answer several questions...
1> Apparently, there's a been a shortage on the internal jumper
cables needed for the mod... So unless you were lucky like me
and were local (and picked it up in person...) you'll have to
week several more weeks...

2> The mod is for BOTH the HST and the DUAL
3> As for the transfer rates, yes it's confirmed at over 2000cps
with zmodem moybturbo on compressed ZIP files.. If you do text
it flys way over 2000 cps....
4> As for UUCP that is the main weakness of the HST/DUAL... It doesn't
support SLIP and from what I heard it's a pain the butt to get it
to work with UUCP although it CAN be done... I think it's
best to stick with Telebits.. Oh well, if USR cared they should
do something about that...

Any other questions? Please post or email
George

--

In article <25475@nuchat.UUCP> jeffn@nuchat.UUCP (Jeff Noxon) writes:
>the 6.01 roms, which supports LAP M and MNP 5, and I have
>yet to see either of them do that well with text, let
>alone compressed files.  1500 CPS is really pushing it.
>I almost always get better throughput without compression,
>be it v.42, MNP, or PEP compression.
>Jeff

Sorry about the misspelling of LAP M..
Anyways, with the old 14.4K HSTs I can get 1700-1800cps
transfer rates on ZIP files with zmodem mobyturbo.. If the sender
has the NS16550AN fast uart.. With the new v.42/bis I can
get 2000 cps on the same transfer... Amazing!

George
PS remember it's the special HST mode not the v.32 mode that does this..