[comp.dcom.modems] Phone line busy indicator

JAJZ801@CALSTATE.BITNET (Jeff Sicherman,CSU Long Beach) (06/27/90)

  Does anyone know of a device, Radio Shack like or mail order,
that can be attached to extension phones of a single-line home
type system to indicate when the line is already in use, so that
a handset is not picked-up while i'm on line with my modem.

Please dont suggest getting a second line. Not acceptable at this
time.

Jeff Sicherman
jajz801@calstate.bitnet

dcaulkins@cdp.UUCP (06/28/90)

I've seen some advertised in the $30 price range.  I've a;lso
designed and built some central-office-battery powered ones in
which when the line is available a green LED is on; when the line
is in use the light is out.  Works for 2 - 4 users on one line.

Dave C

gammal@altitude.CAM.ORG (Michael Gammal) (06/30/90)

JAJZ801@CALSTATE.BITNET (Jeff Sicherman,CSU Long Beach) writes:

>  Does anyone know of a device, Radio Shack like or mail order,
>that can be attached to extension phones of a single-line home
>type system to indicate when the line is already in use, so that
>a handset is not picked-up while i'm on line with my modem.

>Please dont suggest getting a second line. Not acceptable at this
>time.

>Jeff Sicherman
>jajz801@calstate.bitnet

There used to be a device that you would connect to the phone line and if the phone was off hook a red light (a mini-light bulb) would turn on.

I don't remember where it could be purchased, but I think it would react to the voltage of the phone line or something like that.

Anyways good luck in your search!
Chow!

--
Michael Gammal	           Apple //e & Atari Enthusiast		Dawson College
gammal@altitude.CAM.ORG		qp qp qp qp qp qp qp 		Montreal, Que.

greg@gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) (07/05/90)

JAJZ801@CALSTATE.BITNET (Jeff Sicherman,CSU Long Beach) writes:

>  Does anyone know of a device, Radio Shack like or mail order,
>that can be attached to extension phones of a single-line home
>type system to indicate when the line is already in use, so that
>a handset is not picked-up while i'm on line with my modem.

I just picked up this little gadget from Radio Shack yesterday
which sounds like it would help you more than a little light.

It is called the DuoPhone TeleProtector and cost me $7.95

Basically, it is supposed to be used on an answering machine
that you want to kill when you pick up another line.  I used
it for the opposite reason.  I have it on another line in the
house, and when the modem is being used, that line is completely
dead!

So, just go to Radio Shack, and read the package, it might
suit your purpose.

-greg

--
Gregory A. Gulik					Call Gagme, a public
	greg@gagme.chi.il.us  ||  ...!gagme!greg	access UNIX system at

marka@dsinet (elroy) (07/11/90)

In article <9006270705.AA09386@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, JAJZ801@CALSTATE.BITNET (Jeff Sicherman,CSU Long Beach) writes:

>   Does anyone know of a device, Radio Shack like or mail order,
> that can be attached to extension phones of a single-line home
> type system to indicate when the line is already in use, so that
> a handset is not picked-up while i'm on line with my modem.

The December 1989 issue of Popular Electronics has a simple circuit (a
triac, a diode, and a resistor) that will act as a cut-off device.  You
place one of thses devices on each phone line, and the first phone to get
picked up gets exclusive access to the line.  All the extensions are cut
off until the first phone is hung up.

It's simple, cheap, and doesn't require re-wiring the phones.
--
Mark Anacker				...!dsinet!marka -or- ...!toybox!msa
Digital Systems International, Inc.	Redmond, WA   USA    (206) 881-7544