[comp.dcom.modems] Still Looking: Access to Internet

bli@aludra.usc.edu (07/14/90)

I am still looking for someone who would be willing to give me shell
access to a machine on the Internet. I'd be willing to pay a flat
monthly or yearly fee.. My requirements are these:

	o Must be either local to me (I am in South Pasadena, Los Angeles)
                  or be able to access it via Internet (i.e. Telnet to it).
		  (*NO* TELENET or PCPursuit!)
	o Must be able to read/send mail and news.
	o Emacs or a similar text editor.. (or compile my own).
	o Small disk quota, will not be running any processor intensive
	  programs, only news and mail.
	o Shell access, not BBS interface.

So, c'mon guys, all you those with the idle workstations there gathering
dust, what about it? Please note that this is a cross-posted message,
so it would be nice if all replies were by mail.

Thanks.

pushp@nic.cerf.net (Pushpendra Mohta) (07/14/90)

In article <10815@chaph.usc.edu> bli@aludra.usc.edu writes:
>I am still looking for someone who would be willing to give me shell
>access to a machine on the Internet. I'd be willing to pay a flat
>monthly or yearly fee.. My requirements are these:
>
>	o Must be either local to me (I am in South Pasadena, Los Angeles)
>                  or be able to access it via Internet (i.e. Telnet to it).
>		  (*NO* TELENET or PCPursuit!)
>	o Must be able to read/send mail and news.
>	o Emacs or a similar text editor.. (or compile my own).
>	o Small disk quota, will not be running any processor intensive
>	  programs, only news and mail.
>	o Shell access, not BBS interface.

If you wish to consider dial up access for internet connectivity
I believe CERFNet can provide all of what you want at sites
at UCLA, CALTECH, UCI , San Diego and Oakland.

Contact the CERFNet staff at (619) 534-5087 for pricing information
or drop me a note by email.

--pushpendra
CERFNet

medin@cincsac.arc.nasa.gov (Milo S. Medin) (07/14/90)

Of course, use of the U.S. Government sections of the Internet
is governed by appropriate use guidelines for the various agencies
involved.  The Internet is hardly a public data network.  Various
regionals may have looser or stricter regulations regarding
their portions of the network.

					Thanks,
					    Milo

In article <53832@ames.arc.nasa.gov> medin@cincsac.arc.nasa.gov (Milo S. Medin) writes:
>Of course, use of the U.S. Government sections of the Internet
>is governed by appropriate use guidelines for the various agencies
>involved.  The Internet is hardly a public data network.  Various
>regionals may have looser or stricter regulations regarding
>their portions of the network.
>					Thanks,
>					    Milo

Some other people also wrote to me about the
omission in my last posting that Milo correctly points out .

A copy of CERFNet's acceptable use policy can be obtained by
anonymous ftp to nic.cerf.net from the cerfnet/cerfnet_info
directory in the file  cerfnet-accept-use-policy.txt.

If you do not have ftp access drop a note to help@cerf.net or
call the CERFNet hotline at (619)534-5087

--pushpendra
CERFNet

schoff@uu.psi.com (Martin Schoffstall) (07/14/90)

While I empathize with your predicament you are PUBLICLY asking for something
that is difficult to determine that you have a right to.  For today it appears
that Internet access is provided to INSTITUTIONS/CORPORATIONS that have
legitimate need and are willing to abide by certain rules.  So unless you
belong to those institutions/corporations what would be the basis of
giving you that accessx?  Providing access on an INDIVIDUAL basis is at
best a murky area.  Since Morris@Cornell it may have become even murkier,
I know of half a dozen academic insitutions that have removed all external
accounts due to perceived liability issues.

Now, I personally believe you will find a home (more probably at an academic
site then a corporate), I also personally don't subscribe to all of the
above and have worked hard to change it along with others.  However, it
is not necessarily as simple as you have written, and between the cajoling
and the PUBLIC aspects of your posting,
undoubtedly makes it less likely to happen.

Marty
---------

In article <10815@chaph.usc.edu> bli@aludra.usc.edu writes:
>I am still looking for someone who would be willing to give me shell
>access to a machine on the Internet. I'd be willing to pay a flat
>monthly or yearly fee.. My requirements are these:
>
>	o Must be either local to me (I am in South Pasadena, Los Angeles)
>                  or be able to access it via Internet (i.e. Telnet to it).
>		  (*NO* TELENET or PCPursuit!)
>	o Must be able to read/send mail and news.
>	o Emacs or a similar text editor.. (or compile my own).
>	o Small disk quota, will not be running any processor intensive
>	  programs, only news and mail.
>	o Shell access, not BBS interface.
>
>So, c'mon guys, all you those with the idle workstations there gathering
>dust, what about it? Please note that this is a cross-posted message,
>so it would be nice if all replies were by mail.
>
>Thanks.

schoff@uu.psi.com (Martin Schoffstall) (07/14/90)

Pushpendra:

Could you describe the permission procedure that CERFNET goes through
to provide Internet access to individuals?
Could you describe contract requirements
(if any) for those individuals, especially in the area of NSFNet limitations,
etc...  Could you describe the costs?

Just Curious.

Marty
---------------

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (07/16/90)

In article <71@nic.cerf.net> pushp@nic.cerf.net (Pushpendra Mohta) writes:

   A copy of CERFNet's acceptable use policy can be obtained by
   anonymous ftp to nic.cerf.net from the cerfnet/cerfnet_info
   directory in the file  cerfnet-accept-use-policy.txt.

A copy of a number of acceptable use policies can currently be
had from ftp.math.lsa.umich.edu:/pub/emv/acceptable-use/* .
I'm collecting more as I find them.  They are labelled according
to the site they were ftp'd from, in order to make it easier to
track down the original source.

Currently the collection looks like:

stag /s/ftp/pub/emv/acceptable-use % ls
cren            nic.cerf.net    nic.near.net    um.cc.umich.edu
farnet          nic.mr.net      nis.nsf.net

I'm sure there are more out there.

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>
comp.archives moderator