[comp.dcom.modems] Help with rotored lines / Rack Mounted Modems

pushp@nic.cerf.net (Pushpendra Mohta) (07/14/90)

I recently acquired a set of Telebit 2500 Rack Mount Modems
and found what I consider a major irritant.

Unlike the stand-alones there is no switch on the control
panel of the rackmounts to make a particukar modem go busy or off hook.
(You can connect to the modem in AT mode and then make it go offhook but
our modems will be all over California and technical help may not
be available at all sites )

Ordinarily this would not be a problem , but the application I have
is a dial up terminal server with the phone lines on a rotor with
hunting.
(If the first modem is busy , the call forwards to the next one and so
on.)

Should the modem or the terminal server port go bad
and  the modem does not answer and  go off-hook , all ports beyond
that one will not be utilized.

I wonder if there are feautures available in Pac-Bell territory
on the ROTORS which in effect will allow forward on busy AND
forward if a particular line does not answer in say four rings
simultaneously. I tried talking to the rep here without a clear answer

Are there other suggestions on add on devices which will
have similar effects  ?

thanks
--pushpendra
CERFNet

pushp@nic.cerf.net (Pushpendra Mohta) (07/17/90)

In article <70@nic.cerf.net> pushp@nic.cerf.net (Pushpendra Mohta) writes:

>I recently acquired a set of Telebit 2500 Rack Mount Modems
>and found what I consider a major irritant.
>
>Unlike the stand-alones there is no switch on the control
>panel of the rackmounts to make a particukar modem go busy or off hook.
>(You can connect to the modem in AT mode and then make it go offhook but
>our modems will be all over California and technical help may not
>be available at all sites )

It turns out that pulling the modem out of the cage makes the line
go busy.This suggestion came from Doug Faunt at cisco

I still believe that there should be a toggle switch
on the control panel.

Also, I wonder if it would be asking too much to build in
intelligence into rack  mount controller boards  which allows them
to define "rotary" groups and like functionalities.

--pushpendra
CERFNet

bourman@hpccc.HP.COM (BobbHewlett-PackardCorpNetEngPaloAltoCa.) (07/18/90)

>> stuff deleted

>>It turns out that pulling the modem out of the cage makes the line
>>go busy.This suggestion came from Doug Faunt at cisco
>>

>>--pushpendra
>>CERFNet
>>----------

         Is this the SAME Doug Faunt that used to work at HPLABS around 1984 ?

BOBB

pete@Octopus.COM (Pete Holzmann) (07/18/90)

>>>It turns out that pulling the modem out of the cage makes the line
>>>go busy.This suggestion came from Doug Faunt at cisco
>>>
>>>--pushpendra
>
>         Is this the SAME Doug Faunt that used to work at HPLABS around 1984 ?
>BOBB

Is this the *same* Doug Faunt that used to work at ROLM around 1981?

:-)

Pete
--
Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises   |(if you're a techie Christian & are
19611 La Mar Ct., Cupertino, CA 95014 |interested in helping w/ the Great