[comp.dcom.modems] Picking phone up while modem in use

datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) (07/18/90)

>Shouldn't Hayes compatible modems hang up the phone that's plugged into them
>so picking up the receiver while the modem is in use won't interrupt the

All "Hayes compatible" means is that the modem takes "AT" style commands as
popularized by Hayes long ago.

Not all modems even have a second jack for a phone, and only some that do
cut off that jack when the modem has the line off-hook.  Many modems have
two jacks that are really identical, so it doesn't matter which gets what
plugged into it.

Of course, you certainly don't *need* a phone plugged into the modem, unless
you've got something crufty like an old Vadic that's too stupid to dial on
its own.

--

bourman@hpccc.HP.COM (BobbHewlett-PackardCorpNetEngPaloAltoCa.) (07/19/90)

Are you in reliable mode (error correction) when it disconnects or just
plain old (non MNP) mode ?

gulik@motcid.UUCP (Gregory Gulik) (07/19/90)

In article <5851@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> lsh@jhunix.UUCP writes:

> [edited]
>Our modem doesn't do that and it is a major problem because we have several
>phones in the labs (plugged INTO the modem, not before) and we get
>disconnected when someone picks up the phone in another room.
>

>Is that right??  What can I do ?

There is a little gadget available from Radio Shack for $7.95, I believe,
that will do what you want to do.  You can plug this item between the
telephone and the phone line.  It will disconnect that phone from the line
if any other extension on that line of off the hook (including the modem).

I'm not sure what's it's called, it's at home, but if you go to Radio
Shack and ask about it, they should be able to direct you to it.  I believe
it is made by DuoFone.

-greg

Gregory A. Gulik
	uunet!motcid!gulik  ||  greg@gagme.chi.il.us
	||  gulik@depaul.edu

mcknight@tusun2.knet.utulsa.edu ( Law) (07/19/90)

I believe that the device you are thinking of from Radio Shack is called a
telephone exclusion switch.  Hope this helps.

Chuck

lsh@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Lan S Hsieh) (07/20/90)

In article <5830017@hpccc.HP.COM> bourman@hpccc.HP.COM (BobbHewlett-PackardCorpNetEngPaloAltoCa.) writes:
>Are you in reliable mode (error correction) when it disconnects or just
>plain old (non MNP) mode ?

I tried in both modes.  This is very suspicious.

tnixon@hsfmsh.UUCP (Toby Nixon) (07/21/90)

In article <5851@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, Lan S Hsieh writes:

- Shouldn't Hayes compatible modems hang up the phone that's plugged
- into them so picking up the receiver while the modem is in use won't
- interrupt the comm link?
-
- Our modem doesn't do that and it is a major problem because we have
- several phones in the labs (plugged INTO the modem, not before) and
- we get disconnected when someone picks up the phone in another room.
-
- I talked to the Viva techie and he claims that even real Hayes
- modems don't disconnect the line coming out of them.

The techie is wrong.  Real Hayes modems DO disconnect the PHONE jack
from the line whenever the modem is off-hook, precisely for the
reason you describe: to prevent you from inadvertently interrupting
your call by picking up that phone.  Of course, the modem can't
affect other phones on the same line, but only those that are
connected via the PHONE jack on the back of the modem.

Many modems made by other manufacturers do not do this.  It takes an
additional relay, adding some expense and board space.  This is only
one of the many little reasons why Hayes modems cost a little more,
but, as you can see, those little things are sometimes important.

Whether or not you have some kind of "claim" against these folks is
doubtful.  "Hayes compatible" is not any kind of a legal term; it is
very subjective, defined by the company using it, not by Hayes.  It
generally refers to the fact that the modem implements some portion
of the Hayes AT Command Set (although nobody but Hayes implements
ALL of it).  Your question was whether or not "Hayes compatible"
modems "should" cut off the phone attached to the PHONE jack; the
answer is, "That's a design decision the manufacturer makes."  If
you require that feature, you need to ask whether or not the modem
has it before buying the modem.

You might be able to get around this cheaply, however.  Radio Shack
and many office supply stores carry devices called "Answering
Machine Stoppers".  Normally, you plug it into the wall jack, then
plug your answering machine into it.  Then, if your answering
machine picks up on the line to quick for you, you can still take
the call -- from any phone in the house -- by just picking up.  The
"Stopper" detects that another phone is off-hook, and cuts off the
answering machine.  I'm sure you could rig it so that all of the
other phones were plugged into the "cutoff" side of the stopper and
the modem was plugged into the other jack, so that whenever the
modem is off-hook that the phones are cut off.  These devices
generally cost from $5 to $10.

	-- Toby

Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer     Fax:    +1-404-441-1213  Telex: 6502670805
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc.  Voice:  +1-404-449-8791  CIS:    70271,404
Norcross, Georgia, USA             BBS:    +1-404-446-6336  MCI:       TNIXON
                                   Telemail: T.NIXON/HAYES  AT&T:     !tnixon
UUCP:   ...!uunet!hayes!tnixon     Internet:        hayes!tnixon@uunet.uu.net
MHS:    C=US / AD=ATTMAIL / PN=TOBY_L_NIXON / DD=TNIXON

bruce@balilly.uucp (Bruce Lilly) (07/22/90)

In article <3619@hsfmsh.UUCP> tnixon@hsfmsh.UUCP (Toby Nixon) writes:
>In article <5851@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, Lan S Hsieh writes:
>
>- Shouldn't Hayes compatible modems hang up the phone that's plugged
>- into them so picking up the receiver while the modem is in use won't
>- interrupt the comm link?
>
>The techie is wrong.  Real Hayes modems DO disconnect the PHONE jack
>from the line whenever the modem is off-hook, precisely for the
>reason you describe: to prevent you from inadvertently interrupting
>your call by picking up that phone.  [ ... ]
>
>Many modems made by other manufacturers do not do this.  It takes an
>additional relay, adding some expense and board space.  This is only
>one of the many little reasons why Hayes modems cost a little more,
>but, as you can see, those little things are sometimes important.
>
>Whether or not you have some kind of "claim" against these folks is
>doubtful.  "Hayes compatible" is not any kind of a legal term; it is
>very subjective, defined by the company using it, not by Hayes. [ ... ]
>
>	-- Toby
>Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer     Fax:    +1-404-441-1213  Telex: 6502670805
>Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc.  Voice:  +1-404-449-8791  CIS:    70271,404
>Norcross, Georgia, USA             BBS:    +1-404-446-6336  MCI:       TNIXON
>                                   Telemail: T.NIXON/HAYES  AT&T:     !tnixon
>UUCP:   ...!uunet!hayes!tnixon     Internet:        hayes!tnixon@uunet.uu.net
>MHS:    C=US / AD=ATTMAIL / PN=TOBY_L_NIXON / DD=TNIXON

I have a "Real Hayes" Smartmodem 1200 which *does not* disconnect the
PHONE jack .... (it doesn't even *have* a PHONE jack, just the single
connector for the telco line).

I'm certain that Toby *knows* that some "Real Hayes" modems don't do what
he claims they do (since I e-mail'ed him last time he said this).

I don't object to Toby, or any other representative of a vendor, making
statements about his products, *provided that the statements are factual
and not just marketing hype*.

Readers of this newsgroup should be advised that not all Hayes modems have
the feature claimed by Mr. Nixon.  I would hope that in the future Mr.
Nixon would be somewhat more carefule in his statements (I'll give him the
benefit of the doubt by assuming that it wasn't *intentionally*
misleading).
--
	Bruce Lilly		uunet!vmp!sonyd1!blilly!balilly!bruce

tempest@walleye.uucp (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (07/23/90)

In article <1990Jul22.122933.3749@blilly.UUCP> bruce@balilly.uucp (Bruce Lilly) writes:

>I have a "Real Hayes" Smartmodem 1200 which *does not* disconnect the
>PHONE jack .... (it doesn't even *have* a PHONE jack, just the single
>connector for the telco line).

NOTE: this is not a flame.  From my understanding of this
message, this feature should apply to modems that have a
jack for a local telephone.  Since the Smartmodem 1200 does not
have this extra jack for a local phone, it should be exempt from
modems that do.

BTW, the first thing I noticed when I got my Telebit is that it
has the feature discussed.  For the $$ that I pad, it better
have!

  Kenneth K.F. Lui        |   Other paths you can use: tempest@csuchico,
  tempest@csuchico.edu    |   tempest@{cscihp|walleye}.csuchico.edu
__________________________|__________________________________________________

kim@spock (Kim Letkeman) (07/23/90)

In article <1990Jul22.122933.3749@blilly.UUCP>, bruce@balilly.uucp (Bruce Lilly) writes:

| I have a "Real Hayes" Smartmodem 1200 which *does not* disconnect the
| PHONE jack .... (it doesn't even *have* a PHONE jack, just the single
| connector for the telco line).

It's just a bit obvious that a modem cannot disconnect a phone line
that is not physically present ....

| I'm certain that Toby *knows* that some "Real Hayes" modems don't do what
| he claims they do (since I e-mail'ed him last time he said this).

If you have only the above modem as your sample space, I would suggest
that you are misinterpreting his postings ....

| I don't object to Toby, or any other representative of a vendor, making
| statements about his products, *provided that the statements are factual
| and not just marketing hype*.
|
| Readers of this newsgroup should be advised that not all Hayes modems have
| the feature claimed by Mr. Nixon.  I would hope that in the future Mr.
| Nixon would be somewhat more carefule in his statements (I'll give him the
| benefit of the doubt by assuming that it wasn't *intentionally*
| misleading).

Toby did not say that all Hayes modems had a separate line for the
phone. He said that all Hayes modems disconnected the phone when in
use. This has the obvious implication that there must be a phone line
to disconnect. I think this article requires more benefit of the doubt
than Toby's ....

--
Kim Letkeman    mitel!spock!kim@uunet.uu.net

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (07/23/90)

All hayes modems which have jacks two jacks (one for the modem to the
telco line, and one for a voice telephone) disconnect the voice line
when the modem is online.

Obviously, those which do not have a voice line cannot disconnect it.

No claim was ever made that any modem by any manufacturer would
disconnect phones which are not plugged directly into the modem
or into a line which is plugged into the modem.

- Jeff