[comp.dcom.modems] Courier HST on 386 HDB SysV

blair@obdient.chi.il.us (Doug Blair) (07/22/90)

One of our guest users (a "DOS Person") has given us a US Robotics Courier
HST (not Dual Standard or V.32) modem so that he can read news at high speed.

I'd like to set this up so the interface speed is locked at 19.2 (like we
do with the Trailblazers) but when we call out at lower speeds the modem
stays at the lower speed and consequently the next incoming call doesn't
get a login ('cause getty's set for 19.2).

If you have a Courier HST modem properly set up for high interface speed
and variable link speed that works in both incoming and outgoing modes
could you send a copy of your NVRAM register settings and Dialers entry,
and anything else you think will help?

Thanks!

Doug
 ___  _           _  _             _
|___||___/\___/\___||_|\___/|_|_| |_|   708-653-5527  blair@obdient.chi.il.us

ralphs@halcyon.wa.com (Ralph Sims) (07/23/90)

blair@obdient.chi.il.us (Doug Blair) writes:

> One of our guest users (a "DOS Person") has given us a US Robotics Courier
> HST (not Dual Standard or V.32) modem so that he can read news at high speed.

Interesting concept.  Most people can't read text scrolling that fast.  We
did a little survey once and found 1200 was pretty good for folks who were
accomplished readers, and 2400 was fine for those that used some form of
block i/o ('speed-reading').  Most of the teens were more comfortable at
300.  At the time, I thought this didn't say much for our educational
system.

--
  Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

cth_co@tekno.chalmers.se (Christer Olsson. MedNet, G|teborgs Universitet) (07/24/90)

In article <RqPRm3w162w@halcyon.wa.com>, ralphs@halcyon.wa.com (Ralph Sims) writes:
> blair@obdient.chi.il.us (Doug Blair) writes:
>
>> One of our guest users (a "DOS Person") has given us a US Robotics Courier
>> HST (not Dual Standard or V.32) modem so that he can read news at high speed.
>
> Interesting concept.  Most people can't read text scrolling that fast.  We
> did a little survey once and found 1200 was pretty good for folks who were
> accomplished readers, and 2400 was fine for those that used some form of
> block i/o ('speed-reading').  Most of the teens were more comfortable at
> 300.  At the time, I thought this didn't say much for our educational
> system.

If the text don't scrolling, it's no problems to read at 9600 bps. I've
a 72-lines terminal connected at 19200 and I think 19200 are too slow...

Many DOS-users have terminalemulators supoorting 43 or 50 lines with
EGA/VGA. 2400 bps feels slow with many lines.

I'm using a fullscreen news-reader under VMS and the newsreader sends
VT100-codes so the througput is smaller than 19200 bps.

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (07/25/90)

blair@obdient.chi.il.us (Doug Blair) writes:
>One of our guest users (a "DOS Person") has given us a US Robotics Courier
>HST (not Dual Standard or V.32) modem so that he can read news at high speed.

A "DOS" person, eh?  That sure was nice of him to just give you a modem!
Anyhow, here a nstar we have a couple of HST modems (14.4) and lock the DTE
at 19200 (I would like to try 38400 but haven't had the time to play with
the Computone drivers to even see if they can handle that high of speed).
Since I'm on the modem now (remotely from an Arix box with an HST on it)
I can't send the settings to you now, but I will when I get home this evening
after school (around 9PM).

The HST is the fastest modem we have here on nstar, with Zmodem throughput
running right around 1650 cps on ziped files..

larry

            uucp: iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry  -or-  larry@nstar
     Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 lines/PEP/HST/Hayes-V)