[comp.dcom.modems] Lightning Strikes!

DLB112@psuvm.psu.edu (DAVID BOWLER) (07/07/90)

I am the owner of a newly broken IBM XT clone.  Thanks to mother nature.  It
seems that while I was away one weekend, there was a thunderstorm.  Though
my pc has a power surge spike protector, it does not have anything for the
modem.  Lightning took out both my computer which was connected to the phone
lines and my television which was connected to the local cable system.  Total
damage was estimated at close to $1000.  I am still awaiting word from the
insurance company.  Let this be a lesson to all those, who like me, have no
protection for the modem.

For those of you who have protection, could you recommend some for me?
I have/had a 2400 baud internal modem.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

gary@ke4zv.UUCP (Gary Coffman) (07/10/90)

In article <90187.213022DLB112@psuvm.psu.edu> DLB112@psuvm.psu.edu (DAVID BOWLER) writes:
>I am the owner of a newly broken IBM XT clone.  Thanks to mother nature.  It
>seems that while I was away one weekend, there was a thunderstorm.  Though
>my pc has a power surge spike protector, it does not have anything for the
>modem.  Lightning took out both my computer which was connected to the phone
>lines and my television which was connected to the local cable system.  Total
>damage was estimated at close to $1000.  I am still awaiting word from the
>insurance company.  Let this be a lesson to all those, who like me, have no
>protection for the modem.
>
>For those of you who have protection, could you recommend some for me?
>I have/had a 2400 baud internal modem.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The only reasonably sure protection is to run your computer totally
isolated from mains power by a motor generator set with insulated
coupling, say a one meter glass fibre drive shaft. Run your modem
to computer link via a fibre optical cable, kits are available from
the larger suppliers. You will still lose the modem from a strike but
your computer will survive. In general, there is no sure way to make
a computer with internal modem survive a lightning strike. MOV based
surge supressors will help with SURGES but are useless against a
lightning strike.

Gary

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (07/11/90)

I and others have found that a good lightning/surge protector containing
MOVs, gas discharge tubes and inductors quite effective in in preventing
lightning damage.   I've never had much problem with power but the phones
lines have transmitted several modem killing jolts.

--
Jon Zeeff (NIC handle JZ)	 zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

marc@octel.UUCP (Marc Lewert) (07/13/90)

I am using a surge protector by Panamax (I think that is the name, I will
check and get back to you if you want).  They also have units with protectors
on phone lines and coax.  They cost about double what the usual ones
cost, but come with a lifetime guarentee that covers the equipment the
surge protector is protecting.

--
[ Marc Lewert                      Phone: (408) 942-6626                ]
[ Octel Communications Corp.                                            ]

snoopy@netmbx.UUCP (M. Niemz) (07/15/90)

I heard from several friends in germany who got a lighning via phoneline
into their modems (although most phonelines in germany are below ground).
A simple (and not very expensive) multi-plug on the floor will protect
against lightning comming via power-supply.
--
Snailmail: Mathias Niemz, Preussenallee 23, D-1000 Berlin 19, W-Germany
E-Mail: GEO1: M.Niemz   Bix: M.Niemz   CompuServe: 76206,3341

timg@smoke.BRL.MIL (Timothy Gion) (07/17/90)

I also have a Panamax surge protector.  They come with a life time
warranty/insurance policy on the surge protector and the equipment it
protects that covers up to $1.5 million (that ought to be enough to cover the
average user's equipment!) in damages.  I believe I have the Supermax, which
cost about $110.  It has four outlets and the two phone jack plugs to protect
your computer and your modem or fax.  It will also cut the power before brown
outs.  I highly recommend them despite the high price.

cdc@eleg.uucp (C. David Covington) (07/18/90)

In article <913@netmbx.UUCP>, snoopy@netmbx.UUCP (M. Niemz) writes:

> I heard from several friends in germany who got a lighning via phoneline
> into their modems (although most phonelines in germany are below ground).

      Huge currents travel along the surface of the ground in the vicinity of
a lightning hit.  These transient currents induce currents along burried cables
in the vicinity of the current.  Our cable TV lines have had to be replaced
a couple of times in six years probably for this reason.

C. David Covington (WA5TGF)  cdc@uafeleg.uark.edu     (501) 575-6583
Asst Prof, Elec Eng          Univ of Arkansas        Fayetteville, AR 72701

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (07/27/90)

->I also have a Panamax surge protector.  They come with a life time
->warranty/insurance policy on the surge protector and the equipment it
->protects that covers up to $1.5 million (that ought to be enough to cover the
->average user's equipment!) in damages.  I believe I have the Supermax, which
->cost about $110.  It has four outlets and the two phone jack plugs to protect
->your computer and your modem or fax.  It will also cut the power before brown
->outs.  I highly recommend them despite the high price.

Is there any fine print in the policy on these things?  i.e. what if your
ground connection is no good?   Or you have real sandy soil? (no conductance)

Or do they just play the law of averages?  How do you prove that your equipment
was damaged by a lightening hit?   What's to stop you from zapping your 1200
baud modem for the insurance?  Am I too devious for my own good?

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (404)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741
                             emory!mnopltd!neal

timg@smoke.BRL.MIL (Timothy Gion) (07/28/90)

In article <97@mnopltd.UUCP> gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal writes:
>Is there any fine print in the policy on these things?  i.e. what if your
>ground connection is no good?   Or you have real sandy soil? (no conductance)
>
>Or do they just play the law of averages?  How do you prove that your equipment
>was damaged by a lightening hit?   What's to stop you from zapping your 1200
>baud modem for the insurance?  Am I too devious for my own good?

>Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (404)- 972-5430

here's exactly what the warranty says:

		Lifetime Warranty

     Panamax warrants that our surge protectors will be free from defects in
material and workmanship.  Panamax will repair OR replace products that have
suffered damage from catastrophic transient surges.

end quote...

Panamax may be reached directly at 800-472-6262.  They also have a fax line
at 415-472-5540.  Their address is:

	Panamax
	150 Mitchell Blvd.
	San Rafael, CA 94903-2057

And as everyone says, I am in no way associated with Panamax except for being
a satisfied customer.  (Too bad I didn't get one before my computer got hit
by a surge.  heh.)

--Tim

david@monymsys.uucp (David Kozinn) (07/28/90)

In article <97@mnopltd.UUCP> gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal writes:

>Is there any fine print in the policy on these things?  i.e. what if your
>ground connection is no good?   Or you have real sandy soil? (no conductance)

The following is taken from the PANAMAX warranty that a friend at work had.
Most of this is a direct quote:

"PANAMAX will pay for repair or replacement of equipment downline of any
PANAMAX surge protector if a transiet surge should pass from the AC power
line(s), or from the ancillary connectors (RJ-11/RJ-45, coaxial cable "F"
connector, etc.) through the three stages of protection in PANAMAX surge
protectors and cause damage to connected equipment, under the following
conditions:

1. The PANAMAX surge protector must have been plugged into a properly grounded
electrical outlet and have positive connection between all three prongs of the
plug (hot, neutral, and ground). All equipment grounds must be properly
connected to the PANAMAX surge protector.

2. [Paragraphs says that return authorization must be obtained before
returning the surge protector.]

3. Notification of connected equipment damage must be given to PANAMAX at the
time of initial phone call. An estimate of the needed repairs, including the
report from a qualified technician explaining the nature of the damage must
follow from the customer in a timely fashion. Panamax has the option of
inspecting the damaged connected equipment (to be shipped at Panamax expense).

4. The test results of the returned surge protector and the report from the
qualified technician are evaluated to determine whether the surge protector
has failed to provide protection.

5. The customer will pay to have the stated equipment replaced or repaired. If
the surge protector has failed to provide protection, PANAMAX will reinburse
the customer, and will pay for the lesser of repairing or replacing the
damaged equipment.

6. Warranty: Valid in the United States and Canada."

I don't have one of these myself but it certainly looks impressive. I hope
this info helps.
--
David Kozinn                     | UUCP:   uunet!vmp!monymsys!david
MONY Financial Services MD 75-14 | Domain: monymsys!david@vmp.com