[comp.dcom.modems] telix v.3.12 and kermit

CDAOUST@UOTTAWA.BITNET (Claude Daoust) (07/27/90)

I have also been unable to  complete any file transfers using Telix's built-in
version. We do have the REAL Kermit for our mainframe running in CMS. With the
Kermit stand alone program I have no problem. I noticed also that when I tried
to connect at  n71 I could not. I  don't think this is your  modem however. As
for using 8 data bit transmission as  one user wrote this is not possible with
mainframe connections that must  have a 7 data bit connection.  What I did was
connect up at 8n1 and then switch  using ALT-O to a 7n1 connection. This works
fine  for connection  but  I never  found  the problem  with  the kermit  file
transfers  and I  have a  pretty good  understanding of  the kermit  protocol.
Nothing I tried worked. If someone out there is doing this I'd sure appreciate
hearing from you. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next version of telix. I
hate having to use stand alone kermit when I want to transfer files to and fro
my schools mainframe.

ralphs@halcyon.wa.com (Ralph Sims) (07/30/90)

CDAOUST@UOTTAWA.BITNET (Claude Daoust) writes regarding KERMIT:

> I have also been unable to  complete any file transfers using Telix's built-i

I have been using TELIX since its inception and still beta-test the thing.
My experiences with KERMIT is that it works.  I use it occasionally when
the switched networks start getting bogged down and zmodem won't even start.
The throughput is around 56cps, but the files go through.  For the most
part this works with BSD, Sytem V, and something I ran into once called
AOS (or was it AOS/VS) on a DG MU/10000.  It also works with the KERMIT
implementation in the FIDO bbs package.

I leave things set at 8N1, and probably strip the high-bits (makes it
easier to negotiate CompuServe and TYMNET out here in the sticks).

> hearing from you. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next version of telix.
> hate having to use stand alone kermit when I want to transfer files to and fr

I imagine you are a registered TELIX user.  Send a fax to Colin with some
session dumps (debug mode, if possible, from the mainframe) and let him
know what you find.  He would appreciate some input from some intelligent,
informed sources.  As a registered user, you are most likely running 3.12.
If not, contact EXIS and get upgraded.  If you don't have FAX, just contact
him through CompuServe via Internet.

--
  Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...