[comp.dcom.modems] Phone/FAX switcher?

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (07/24/90)

They just started offering an option on the phone service here that
adds a second phone number to your existing service.  It uses a
distinctive ring to signal that the new number is being called.

I remember hearing about a box that can distinguish between the
different rings and control two different devices from the single line,
(like a telephone and a FAX).  I'm aware of the units that will work
without the special rings -- that's not what I'm looking for.

Does anyone know where I might find something like this?

Thanks

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

In article <1990Jul24.142742.28780@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
> They just started offering an option on the phone service here that
> adds a second phone number to your existing service.  It uses a
> distinctive ring to signal that the new number is being called.

can you say "party line"?

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (07/28/90)

In article <1990Jul24.142742.28780@pegasus.com>, richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
> They just started offering an option on the phone service here that
> adds a second phone number to your existing service.  It uses a
> distinctive ring to signal that the new number is being called.
>
> I remember hearing about a box that can distinguish between the
> different rings and control two different devices from the single line,
> (like a telephone and a FAX).
> Does anyone know where I might find something like this?

Check out the AutoLine Plus from ITS Comm. of Endicott, NY.
Their phone number is 800-333-0802.

This box can distinguish between three distinctive rings.  I put
one on my friend's home phone, and it works great.

Tad Cook
Seattle, WA
Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA
Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544
Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad
or, tad@ssc.UUCP

sreekanth@rgb.dec.com (Jon Sreekanth) (07/31/90)

In article <1990Jul24.142742.28780@pegasus.com>, richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes...
>They just started offering an option on the phone service here that

>Does anyone know where I might find something like this?

>Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

This info is from "Fax buyers guide", the complete facsimile shopper,
guide #19. (Larger newsstands should carry it, if not, Computer
Buyer's Guide and Handbook, 1-800-435-0715)

A company called Lynx Automation Inc offers a 'one port' model for
$79 and a 'four port' model for $139, by which I assume they mean
the number of distinct rings the two units can identify and redirect.
" .... Ring Detector, working in conjunction with the phone company's
multiring service, introduces no delays or odd noises, " , etc

Ring Detector, from
Lynx Automation Inc  ; P O Box 99068 ; Seattle, WA 98199 ; 206-285-1754

/ Jon Sreekanth

US Mail : J Sreekanth, 79 Apsley Street, Apt #7, Hudson, MA 01749
          Digital Equipment Corp., 77 Reed Road, HLO2-1/J12, Hudson, MA 01749
email   : sreekanth@rgb.dec.com
Voice   : 508-562-3358 eves, 508-568-7195 work