[comp.dcom.modems] help with Kermit

timg@smoke.BRL.MIL (Timothy Gion) (07/24/90)

I'm having trouble getting a file via Kermit from this system for my bbs.  I
am using Telix 3.12 for my terminal program and have it set for 7 bits, no
parity, and 2 stop bits.  I'm trying to use the Kermit protocol included
with Telix.  I'm using a Practical Peripherals 2400 MNP5 modem.  I believe
I'm not setting something properly on the remote side's Kermit which happens
to lack the man pages for some reason.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.  (Please don't tell me I need a
synchronous modem to complete the transfer.  heh.)

--Tim
(

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (07/25/90)

In article <13386@smoke.BRL.MIL> timg@smoke.BRL.MIL (Timothy Gion) writes:
>am using Telix 3.12 for my terminal program and have it set for 7 bits, no
>parity, and 2 stop bits.  I'm trying to use the Kermit protocol included
>with Telix.  I'm using a Practical Peripherals 2400 MNP5 modem.  I believe

Wha...?  Excuse me, but 2 stop bits went away when cave-dwellers
discovered 300 baud.  Try 8-N-1.  What you also haven't mentioned
is what version of kermit you have on the other side.  Have you
tried "real" kermit from Columbia on your micro?  (Everything is
suspect...)  (Also, make sure MNP is turned off... MNP and
transfer protocols have a way of fighting with each other.)

					-=EPS=-

timg@smoke.BRL.MIL (Timothy Gion) (07/26/90)

In article <1389@wet.UUCP> epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:

>Wha...?  Excuse me, but 2 stop bits went away when cave-dwellers
>discovered 300 baud.  Try 8-N-1.  What you also haven't mentioned
>is what version of kermit you have on the other side.  Have you
>tried "real" kermit from Columbia on your micro?  (Everything is
>suspect...)  (Also, make sure MNP is turned off... MNP and
>transfer protocols have a way of fighting with each other.)
>
>					-=EPS=-

I used 2 stops bits because my modem didn't support 7N1.  The server I am
using uses BSD's Kermit, dated Sept. 87.  I haven't acquired the 'real'
Kermit yet.  I managed to get my file by uuencoding it and logging the
output to a file.  Fortunately I didn't encounter any line noise... heh.
I think that Telix's Kermit is the problem, but I don't have any
experience with Kermit.

Well, thanks again for everyone's help.

--Tim

kai@sp1.csrd.uiuc.edu (Kuck And Associates) (07/26/90)

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>(Also, make sure MNP is turned off... MNP and
>transfer protocols have a way of fighting with each other.)

Huh?  You shoudn't turn off MNP, ever (unless you're connecting to non-MNP
modems), and especially when transferring files.  You might want to turn off
MNP compression (so you're using MNP class 4, not 5).

If you're transferring files that are already compressed, MNP class 5 may take
longer than class 4 to transfer a file.

We have also run into occational problems with MNP5 dropping some characters,
but that's almost always due one of the modems being connected to a system that
doesn't support hardware flow control, and can't use XON/XOFF flow control
without conflicts with binary file transfers.  MNP4 has never given us any
problems, with any file transfer protocol (x/y/zmodem, kermit, uucp).

MNP.  Don't dialout from home without it!

	Patrick Wolfe   (pat@kai.com, kailand!pat)
	System Programmer/Operations Manager, Kuck & Associates
	"Any opinions expressed are my own, not my employers's.
	 Please don't call my boss and complain ... again."

kim@spock (Kim Letkeman) (07/27/90)

In article <13416@smoke.BRL.MIL>, timg@smoke.BRL.MIL (Timothy Gion) writes:
| I used 2 stops bits because my modem didn't support 7N1.  The server I am
| using uses BSD's Kermit, dated Sept. 87.  I haven't acquired the 'real'
| Kermit yet.  I managed to get my file by uuencoding it and logging the
| output to a file.  Fortunately I didn't encounter any line noise... heh.
| I think that Telix's Kermit is the problem, but I don't have any
| experience with Kermit.

Your use of 7 data bits is probably the problem. Go to 8N1. Telix's
Kermit works as well as Columbia's from my experience.
--
Kim Letkeman    mitel!spock!kim@uunet.uu.net

timg@smoke.BRL.MIL (Timothy Gion) (07/27/90)

In article <1990Jul26.150448.22027@csrd.uiuc.edu> kai@sp1.csrd.uiuc.edu (Kuck And Associates) writes:
>epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>>(Also, make sure MNP is turned off... MNP and
>>transfer protocols have a way of fighting with each other.)
>
>Huh?  You shoudn't turn off MNP, ever (unless you're connecting to non-MNP
>modems), and especially when transferring files.  You might want to turn off
>MNP compression (so you're using MNP class 4, not 5).

Well considering that I can't even connect to the supposed 9600 baud modems
at higher than 1200 baud, I won't need to worry about MNP.  heh.

I usually have my modem set at \N3 so I can let the modem figure out if
the remote modem supports MNP for me.

To all that might send mail to me about my little Kermit problem:
    I'm leaving for Florida in a couple of days so I won't be responding
    to any mail for a week or so.  Thanks for your help.

--Tim

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (08/01/90)

In article <1990Jul26.150448.22027@csrd.uiuc.edu> kai@sp1.csrd.uiuc.edu (Kuck And Associates) writes:
>MNP.  Don't dialout from home without it!

Funny, I say the same thing about PEP ...

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF weenie, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>