[comp.dcom.modems] Modem dialing and telephone credit cards

xeee02@mixcom.UUCP (Dean A. Roth) (07/27/90)

Problem:  Calling long distance through a modem and
          needing to use a telephone credit card.

When traveling, I need to charge a computer-to-computer
call.

How can this be done?  The credit card number has
to be entered after dialing the number, (0 xxx xxxx)
and the modem does not like the tone that indicates the
credit card number should be entered.

Dean Roth
xeee02@mixcom.uucp
--
    Milwaukee Information eXchange (MIX), Public Access UNIX/Usenet
                  MIX Communications, Milwaukee, WI

RREED@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu (07/30/90)

In article <197@mixcom.UUCP>, xeee02@mixcom.UUCP (Dean A. Roth) says:

>Problem:  Calling long distance through a modem and
>          needing to use a telephone credit card.
>
>When traveling, I need to charge a computer-to-computer
>call.
>
>How can this be done?  The credit card number has
>to be entered after dialing the number, (0 xxx xxxx)
>and the modem does not like the tone that indicates the
>credit card number should be entered.

Why don't you post an example dial string (i.e. the one you used
when the modem didn't like the tone).  Also, what kind of modem
are you using?

Reginald Reed -- Struggling Computer Science Student -- Does Bo Know Comp Sci??
BITNET=+> rreed@ucf1vm                     INTERNET=+> rreed@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu
                       UUCP=+> ..!tarpit!bilver!reed

hugo@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Hugo Calendar) (07/31/90)

-| problem:  Calling long distance through a modem and
 |           needing to use a telephone credit card.
 |
 | When traveling, I need to charge a computer-to-computer
 | call.
 |
 | How can this be done?  The credit card number has
 | to be entered after dialing the number, (0 xxx xxxx)
 | and the modem does not like the tone that indicates the
-| credit card number should be entered.

The way I do this is to hook up a phone, as well as a modem,
to the phone line.  Then I type in "ATDT" without hitting
return.  I use the phone as I normally do to make a charge
call, and when I hear it ringing I hit return.

  Hugo Calendar    ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!hugo
  215 Weeks Avenue         hugo@ucscb.ucsc.edu
  Santa Cruz, CA 95060       hugo@ucscd.bitnet
  (408) 425-5479

wkemmerer@sugar.hackercorp.com (Walter Kemmerer) (07/31/90)

As a survivor of the hotel modem telephone call, let me suggest you go
into the comm program of your choice and enter the ATM1 command to turn
the speaker on, then enter the telephone number via the command
"ATDTaaa,xxxxxxxxxx;", where 'aaa' is the access sequence for l/dist at
your hotel (like '0'), and 'xxxxxxxxxx' is the telephone number you're
trying to dial.  Please note the semicolon at the end - this allows you
to key in additional dialing sequences.  Listen for the tone that
indicates that it's time for credit card information, then enter
"ATDTxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx" - note no semicolon this time.  This will
Touch-Tone the info into the telephone and start the normal connection
process in the modem.  Beware, however, that you may have to increase the
connection timer S-register to allow for additional set-up time on some
long distance providers.

If this won't work (as in the case of archaic systems where a *person*
comes on the line for the credit card info), the fallback is an RJ-11 with
alligator clips, stuck into the telephone proper - remember to bring good
screwdrivers and a set of crimps!  In this scenario, you just do "ATDT"
after you hear the call go through and the modem dials a null number and
goes into connect mode.

Good luck!

--
wkemmerer@sugar.hackercorp.com     | raised native Houstonian!
72737.563@compuserve.com           |

campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) (08/01/90)

In article <5547@darkstar.ucsc.edu> hugo@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Hugo Calendar) writes:
:
:-| problem:  Calling long distance through a modem and
: |           needing to use a telephone credit card.
: |
: | When traveling, I need to charge a computer-to-computer
: | call.
: |
: | How can this be done?  The credit card number has
: | to be entered after dialing the number, (0 xxx xxxx)
: | and the modem does not like the tone that indicates the
:-| credit card number should be entered.
:
The method I have used on a number of occassions is:
    ATDT10288012312345,,,,,,,206123123451234
        ^^|^^
          |  ^^^^|^^^^
          |      |    ^^^|^^^
          |      |       |   ^^^^^^^|^^^^^^^
          |      |       |   Credit Card Number
          |      |     Pause for a while (number of , must be found)
          |  Phone Number
        Get onto AT&T and off of other long distance manglers!

This has generally worked well.  If you are on a pulse dialing
system it will be necessary to insert a 'P' in the dialer string
after the original phone number and before the credit card number.
--
....microsoft--\                    Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-entropy----!thebes!camco!bill 6641 East Mercer Way

rmz@cbnewsi.att.com (robert.m.zachok) (08/03/90)

From article <5239@thebes.Thalatta.COM>, by campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell):
> In article <5547@darkstar.ucsc.edu> hugo@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Hugo Calendar) writes:
> :
> :-| problem:  Calling long distance through a modem and
> : |           needing to use a telephone credit card.
> : |
> : | When traveling, I need to charge a computer-to-computer
> : | call.
> : |
> : | How can this be done?  The credit card number has
> : | to be entered after dialing the number, (0 xxx xxxx)
> : | and the modem does not like the tone that indicates the
> :-| credit card number should be entered.
> :
> The method I have used on a number of occassions is:
>     ATDT10288012312345,,,,,,,206123123451234
>         ^^|^^
>           |  ^^^^|^^^^
>           |      |    ^^^|^^^
>           |      |       |   ^^^^^^^|^^^^^^^
>           |      |       |   Credit Card Number
>           |      |     Pause for a while (number of , must be found)
>           |  Phone Number
>         Get onto AT&T and off of other long distance manglers!

I'd like to propose a twist on Bill's method.  Instead of inserting the
pause characters into the dial string, I terminate the original phone
number with a semicolon, which causes the modem to dial the number, and
then return to the command prompt (OK).  If you have ssaved your credit
card number in one of the stored dial registers (at&zn=xxxxxxx), you
type atds=n (where n=1,4 is the register where your credit card number
is stored), and hit the return key when you hear the credit card request
tone, the modem will dial the credit card number, and the connection
will be made.  The only risk here is if you lose your modem, its almost
the same as losing your credit card.

> ....microsoft--\                    Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
> ...uw-entropy----!thebes!camco!bill 6641 East Mercer Way
> ....fluke------/                    Mercer Island, Wa 98040
> ....hplsla----/                     (206) 232-4164

Bob Zachok