[comp.dcom.modems] compressing a bit stream

roy@esp.ics.uci.edu (John Roy) (08/02/90)

Before I go diving into the library, does anybody know of a
good/simple data compression algorithm for a stream of random bits.  I
know this is a tough one, but I would like to the 2 or 3 to 1
compression without loosing any information.  The stream will be
mostly zeros (like 75%) so there is some hope.

thanks,
jmar

--
John M.A. Roy 714/856-5039			TRINTECH USA 714/757-7757
ICS Dept., Univ. Calif., Irvine CA 92714	18500 Von Karman, #410

dave@westmark.UU.NET (Dave Levenson) (08/02/90)

In article <26B70D8E.23784@ics.uci.edu>, roy@esp.ics.uci.edu (John Roy) writes:
> Before I go diving into the library, does anybody know of a
> good/simple data compression algorithm for a stream of random bits.  I
> know this is a tough one, but I would like to the 2 or 3 to 1
> compression without loosing any information.  The stream will be
> mostly zeros (like 75%) so there is some hope.

I suggest that you have a look at the UNIX(tm) utility called compress.
It performs LZW encoding, and if you're at a UNIX site which runs
netnews, you probably already have it.  (It's used to send
compressed news between sites.)

--
Dave Levenson			Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave

steve@wattres.UUCP (Steve Watt) (08/06/90)

In article <573@westmark.UU.NET> dave@westmark.UU.NET (Dave Levenson) writes:
>In article <26B70D8E.23784@ics.uci.edu>, roy@esp.ics.uci.edu (John Roy) writes:
>> Before I go diving into the library, does anybody know of a
>> good/simple data compression algorithm for a stream of random bits.  I

>I suggest that you have a look at the UNIX(tm) utility called compress.
>It performs LZW encoding, and if you're at a UNIX site which runs

Watch out if you plan on using this for ANY commercial application...  There
is a patent (number 4 558 302) held on the LZW algorithm by Unisys, and they
are starting to realize what they have their hands on...

There was a (brief) thread about this in comp.emacs.

The article header is:

From: rms@AI.MIT.EDU
Newsgroups: comp.emacs
Subject: compress patent
Date: 1 Aug 90 19:47:31 GMT

[ article body deleted, find it in your spool directory... ]

--
Steve Watt
...!claris!wattres!steve		wattres!steve@claris.com also works

dave@westmark.UU.NET (Dave Levenson) (08/07/90)

In article <592@wattres.UUCP>, steve@wattres.UUCP (Steve Watt) writes:
> In article <573@westmark.UU.NET> dave@westmark.UU.NET (Dave Levenson) writes:
> >I suggest that you have a look at the UNIX(tm) utility called compress.
> >It performs LZW encoding, and if you're at a UNIX site which runs
>
> Watch out if you plan on using this for ANY commercial application...  There
> is a patent (number 4 558 302) held on the LZW algorithm by Unisys, and they
> are starting to realize what they have their hands on...

I didn't realize that patent-infringement was related to commercial
vs non-commercial use.  If netnews software contains someone's
pattented software and is being copied and distributed without the
patent-owner's permission, it would appear that there is already
widespread infringement of this pattent.

A copy of compress.c comes with every distribution of the netnews
software.  This software package is freely copied and distributed
wherever UNIX goes, and the copy that came with the netnews we run
here bears no copyright nor pattent notice.

Perhaps all nodes who run netnews should immediately discontinue the
use of compressed news transfers until this matter is resolved?

--

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (08/07/90)

In article <593@westmark.UU.NET> dave@westmark.UU.NET (Dave Levenson) writes:
>Perhaps all nodes who run netnews should immediately discontinue the
>use of compressed news transfers until this matter is resolved?

Only if you want to triple your phone bill.  A few points:

-- AT&T distributes compress with recent versions of unix, and they have
patent cross-licenses with Unisys.  This means that in all likelihood anyone
who uses compress on a unix system has the legal right to use the patent,
independent of whether it applies to compress or not.

-- Since the patent has never been litigated, there is considerable doubt
whether the patent is valid, and if so, whether it applies to software-only
patents.  (The legal basis for software-only patents is quite fuzzy.)

-- Discontinuing your use of compress the moment you hear about the patent
is, in the eyes of a court, a virtual admission that you think you're
infringing it, and only makes your situation worse in the unlikely event that
someone took you to court.  Personally, I don't think that I am infringing
anything and see no reason to change what I'm doing.

-- Pragmatically speaking, there is no way that anyone can identify every
site that uses compress, arc, or any of the other programs that use LZW
compression.  There's too many, and there's no audit trail.

--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus|spdcc}!esegue!johnl

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (08/08/90)

In article <592@wattres.UUCP>, steve@wattres.UUCP (Steve Watt) writes:
> Watch out if you plan on using this for ANY commercial application...  There
> is a patent (number 4 558 302) held on the LZW algorithm by Unisys, and they
> are starting to realize what they have their hands on...

This has been discussed in gnu.misc recently.  The enclosed two excerpts
from an article there may be relevant, and for all I know, accurate.

vjs@sgi.com