[comp.dcom.modems] Zmodem W/Network

kchiu@carina.unm.edu (Kai L. Chiu) (08/05/90)

   I tried to use the SZ zmodem on unix to send a file to my PC, I always get
Some CRC error in the very begining, about 1.3k. I heard it has something
to do with the NetWork(CDCN) and Xon/Xoff. I can always turn off Escape
code and make it work, but It would be much slower. Can anyone help me, Either
tell me how do I change the Terminal Setting on the Vax or Suggest a better
protocol.
                                                     Thanks.

caf@omen.UUCP (WA7KGX) (08/06/90)

In article <1990Aug5.082430.14463@ariel.unm.edu> kchiu@carina.unm.edu (Kai L. Chiu) writes:
:
:   I tried to use the SZ zmodem on unix to send a file to my PC, I always get
:Some CRC error in the very begining, about 1.3k. I heard it has something
:to do with the NetWork(CDCN) and Xon/Xoff. I can always turn off Escape
:code and make it work, but It would be much slower. Can anyone help me, Either
:tell me how do I change the Terminal Setting on the Vax or Suggest a better
:protocol.
:                                                     Thanks.

Recent ZMODEM extensions allow individual control characters
to be escaped.  I am testing new versions of VMS rz and sz
which will support some of the ZMODEM-90(TM) extensions; they
are available on TeleGodzilla's upgrade/vms subdirectory.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF

palkovic@linac.fnal.gov (John A. Palkovic) (08/08/90)

In article <1990Aug5.082430.14463@ariel.unm.edu> kchiu@carina.unm.edu (Kai L. Chiu) writes:

>   I tried to use the SZ zmodem on unix to send a file to my PC, I always get
>Some CRC error in the very begining, about 1.3k. I heard it has something
>to do with the NetWork(CDCN) and Xon/Xoff. I can always turn off Escape
>code and make it work, but It would be much slower. Can anyone help me, Either
>tell me how do I change the Terminal Setting on the Vax or Suggest a better
>protocol.
>                                                     Thanks.

Try using the -l option of zmodem, like this:

	$ sz -l 512 <your_file>

If 512 doesn't work try something smaller or larger. I have had
success with 512 and I still get good "efficiency," better than
KERMIT.  The XON/XOFF isn't necessarily coming from the VAX, it could
be the answering modem (assuming you are dialing in).

--

John Palkovic (708) 840-3527 	   palkovic@fnal.bitnet,palkovic@linac.fnal.gov
University of Wisconsin-Madison    {yclept,tellab5,obdient}!linac!palkovic