[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit Modems -- Where to buy

labtg@mathlab4.mathcs.emory.edu (tom genese) (07/31/90)

greetings:

  i am considering purchase of a telebit modem.  it would be used on a Sun for
connection to other telebits.  19.2k is most desired, but 9600 is ok if
cost is too high.

  where is a good place to buy telebits?  any good discounters out there?
thanx in advance.

--
labtg@emoryu1.cc.emory.edu                            tom genese
bitnet: labtg@emoryu1.bitnet                          math/cs dept.

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (07/31/90)

labtg@mathlab4.mathcs.emory.edu (tom genese) writes:

>  i am considering purchase of a telebit modem.  it would be used on a Sun for
>connection to other telebits.  19.2k is most desired, but 9600 is ok if
>cost is too high.

>  where is a good place to buy telebits?  any good discounters out there?
>thanx in advance.

Last I heard UUNET was selling Telebit modems - and I assume that you are
aware of the internet discount (call 1-800-TELEBIT and ask about the
internet discount).

            uucp: iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry  -or-  larry@nstar
     Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 lines/PEP/HST/Hayes-V)

howardl@wb3ffv.ampr.org ( WB3FFV) (08/03/90)

From article <1990Jul31.020932.14633@nstar.uucp>, by larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder):

> Last I heard UUNET was selling Telebit modems - and I assume that you are
> aware of the internet discount (call 1-800-TELEBIT and ask about the
> internet discount).

   Hello All,

I talked with a lady at Telebit the other day, and she informaed me that
the Internet discount was no longer being offered.  I can't personally
assure you this is true, but unless I hear otherwise I will assume it is.

Internet  : howardl@wb3ffv.ampr.org	|	Howard D. Leadmon
UUCP      : wb3ffv!howardl		|	Advanced Business Solutions
TELEX     : 152252474     		|	210 E. Lombard St - Suite 410
Telephone : (301)-576-8635		|	Baltimore, MD  21202

rick@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) (08/04/90)

The Telebit District Sales Manager for my region says that the
internet offer is no longer valid.

RREED@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu (08/04/90)

In article <3691@wb3ffv.ampr.org>, howardl@wb3ffv.ampr.org ( WB3FFV) says:

>From article <1990Jul31.020932.14633@nstar.uucp>, by larry@nstar.uucp (Larry
>Snyder):
>>
>> Last I heard UUNET was selling Telebit modems - and I assume that you are
>> aware of the internet discount (call 1-800-TELEBIT and ask about the
>> internet discount).
>

>   Hello All,
>
>I talked with a lady at Telebit the other day, and she informaed me that
>the Internet discount was no longer being offered.  I can't personally
>assure you this is true, but unless I hear otherwise I will assume it is.

Yesterday I received an information packet from UUNET Communications and going
by what I received, the discounts still apply when purchasing Telebits directly
from UUNET.  I don't know if this is still the "Internet" discount, but the
prices where the same as someone posted here in this newsgroup last month.

Reginald Reed -- Struggling Computer Science Student -- Does Bo Know Comp Sci??
BITNET=+> rreed@ucf1vm                     INTERNET=+> rreed@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu

dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) (08/06/90)

RREED@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu writes:

>Yesterday I received an information packet from UUNET Communications and going
>by what I received, the discounts still apply when purchasing Telebits directly
>from UUNET.  I don't know if this is still the "Internet" discount, but the
>prices where the same as someone posted here in this newsgroup last month.

   There are two "discount" options available through UUNET that I
think are being confused here.  Each is described below.  Our site purchased
a Telebit through the IDNDP program listed below; however, I do not know
if either program is still in effect, but I am inclined to say that the
discounts are still available.

1)  UUNET offers around a 33% discount to UUNET subscribers only.  The
	discount is good for the entire Telbit line of products and
	has NO quantity restrictions.  However, this option is not open
	to the general public; it is for UUNET subscribers only.

2)  Telebit's IDNDP Program. (NOTE:  This discount program is not maintained
	by UUNET.  It is actually a program that Telebit offers).

        Any organization legitimately participating on the Internet by
	use of Internet domain names can qualify.  The organization must
	reside physically within the 50 United States or Canada.
	In addition all UUNET members qualify for this program as well.

	There is a quantity restriction of 2 modems.  If separate autonomous
	organizations reside under a domain entry, then each division is
	entitled to the 2 quantity purchase amount.

	The discounts are anywhere between 40% and 50% depending on the
	model of Telebit desired.  For more information, contact the
	following address:

		IDNDP Program Coordinator	Voice: (415) 969-3800
		Telebit Corporation		Email: idndp@telebit.com
		1345 Shorebird Way
		Mountain View, CA
		94043-1329

--
dean@coplex.UUCP   Dean A. Brooks
                   Copper Electronics, Inc.

asp@uunet.UU.NET (Andrew Partan) (08/07/90)

In article <186@coplex.UUCP>, dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) writes:

> 1)  UUNET offers around a 33% discount to UUNET subscribers only.  The
> 	discount is good for the entire Telbit line of products and
> 	has NO quantity restrictions.  However, this option is not open
> 	to the general public; it is for UUNET subscribers only.

The correct info:

	UUNET is now offering significant discounts on the entire Telebit line.

	Our terms are NET 30 and we add our shipping costs to the
	invoice.  Modem sales are now open to the general public in
	addition to UUNET members.  Sales to non UUNET members will be
	either prepaid or COD unless credit has been previously
	established.

For purchasing information contact orders@uunet.uu.net

> 2)  Telebit's IDNDP Program. (NOTE:  This discount program is not maintained
> 	by UUNET.  It is actually a program that Telebit offers).

This is no longer (according to our local Telebit sales person).
Contact Telebit directly to find out for sure.

	--asp@uunet.uu.net (Andrew Partan)

lmb@vicom.com (Larry Blair) (08/07/90)

In article <1990Jul31.020932.14633@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
=labtg@mathlab4.mathcs.emory.edu (tom genese) writes:
=>  where is a good place to buy telebits?  any good discounters out there?
=
=Last I heard UUNET was selling Telebit modems

I just posted these prices a couple of weeks ago, so I was reluctant to
repost.  However, no one else mentioned them, so here they are again:

I have found a distributor who will sell Telebit modems to anyone at prices
lower than those offered by UUNET.

T1000 - $500
T1500 - $700
TB+   - $740
T2500 - $870

The distributor is:

Josh Wells
AnDATAco
9550 Waples St.
San Diego, CA 95121
(805) 523-9191

I have no connection with these people, except as a satisfied customer.
--
Larry Blair   ames!vsi1!lmb   lmb@vicom.com

rwc@critz.mv.com (Richard Critz) (08/08/90)

In article <3691@wb3ffv.ampr.org> howardl@wb3ffv.ampr.org ( WB3FFV) writes:
>I talked with a lady at Telebit the other day, and she informaed me that
>the Internet discount was no longer being offered.  I can't personally
>assure you this is true, but unless I hear otherwise I will assume it is.

I suppose it's possible that things have changed since June 1 but I
ordered a TB+ then and definitely got the discount.  It took forever
for them to ship it but I finally got the thing.

Richard
--
Richard W. Critz, Jr.           |        ...{decvax!ubbs-nh, decuac}!critz!rwc
141 Hills Ferry Road            |                             rwc@critz.mv.com