[comp.dcom.modems] TB2500 Problems with uucico

emeyer@eliabel.sf.ca.us (08/08/90)

I just got two Telebit 2500 and I have problems setting them up with uucp.
I parametered them like described in my INTERACTIVE IX386 2.2 manual and
in the TB manual, and I did set up the UUCP S110=30 register to support
uucp on the TB. I have my port running at 19200 bauds.

Everything works fine, except that I get a lot of uucico timeouts.
Basically, it transfers a bunch of packets fast and after 5 or 10k
it stops and timeouts, then after a few seconds restarts.

uucico -d9 gives me 'alert' messages at every of such timeouts...

Is there something wrong in my setup or is my machine just not
fast enough to handle 19200 bauds?

--
Eric P. Meyer
ELIABEL Corp.

In article <129@porky.UUCP> emeyer@eliabel.sf.ca.us writes:

> Everything works fine, except that I get a lot of uucico timeouts.
> Basically, it transfers a bunch of packets fast and after 5 or 10k
> it stops and timeouts, then after a few seconds restarts.

> Is there something wrong in my setup or is my machine just not
> fast enough to handle 19200 bauds?

It's certainly a strong possibility - either your serial card can't keep
up, or the software is off somewhere ignoring interrupts for too long.

A quick test is to cut back the speed to 9600 baud and see if the problem
occurs less often.  If it is a proformance issue, you can either live with
the slower speed, upgrade to an intelligent (buffered) serial board or
perhaps upgrade the UART chip on your serial card.

blair@obdient.chi.il.us (Doug Blair) (08/10/90)

In article <129@porky.UUCP>, emeyer@eliabel.sf.ca.us writes:

[description of TB2500 installation deleted]

> ... uucico timeouts.
> Basically, it transfers a bunch of packets fast and after 5 or 10k
> it stops and timeouts, then after a few seconds restarts.
> uucico -d9 gives me 'alert' messages at every of such timeouts...

We had exactly the same symptoms here on obdient.  Change the uart chips
on your serial card to NS16550's - these have a 16 byte buffer in them.
They're availbale from JDR Microdevices in San Jose (800-538-5000) for
about $20 each (other sources available too, I'm sure).  You may
also want to add the FAS driver to your kernel, which is faster than
most vendor's i/o drivers for the i386 ports.  Until those chips arrive,
you'll probably have to change your interface speed to 9600, which is
still a darn bit faster than 2400 :-).

Doug
|___||___/\___/\___||_|\___/|_|_| |_|   708-653-5527  blair@obdient.chi.il.us