[comp.dcom.modems] MNP5 and Zmodem problems

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (08/10/90)

We are having some problems since we changed our Computer Center's
modems to 9600 MNP5 (I don't recall the name, but they are connected
to our Sun 4/260 running SunOS 4.01). Zmodem downloads to my (and some
others, too) home machine(s) don't work at all as expected them to
work. Uploads are running just fine but I can't download even if I
have 2400 MNP5. Kermit is losing 1K packets quite too often, too.
Zmodem gets only 1/4 of the line speed that is 50-60 cps and every
packet makes errors. It can be that this have something to do with
buffering on the CC side.

Do you know if this is a configuration error in our Computer Center or
what. I have tried many separate possibilities at my side but don't
have any left. I have quite a long experience of using Zmodem protocol
and still can't figure out what is the problem.

Please answer by email because I think that this is not much do with
public (it's our own little harm, but very annoying to me).
--
== Harri Valkama ==============================================================
| harri.valkama@wmac00.uwasa.fi hv@uwasa.fi hv@flame.uwasa.fi hv@nic.funet.fi |

msd@enh.nist.gov (M. Scott Dewey) (08/10/90)

Dear Experts,

In article <1990Aug9.205922.5812@uwasa.fi>, hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) writes:
>We are having some problems since we changed our Computer Center's
>modems to 9600 MNP5 (I don't recall the name, but they are connected
>to our Sun 4/260 running SunOS 4.01). Zmodem downloads to my (and some
>others, too) home machine(s) don't work at all as expected them to
>work. Uploads are running just fine but I can't download even if I
>have 2400 MNP5. Kermit is losing 1K packets quite too often, too.
>Zmodem gets only 1/4 of the line speed that is 50-60 cps and every
>packet makes errors. It can be that this have something to do with
>buffering on the CC side.

Is this a general problem with 9600 baud MNP5 systems?  We're considering
upgrading our modems, but if KERMIT and ZMODEM transfers aren't reliable
with such systems, we'd need to reconsider.

Thanks!
--
NAME:   M. Scott Dewey                 TELE: (301) 975-4843
DIVISION: Quantum Metrology            INTERNET: msd@enh.nist.gov