[comp.dcom.modems] out of sync error with Ymodem-G

timg@smoke.BRL.MIL (Timothy Gion) (08/13/90)

I recently tried to receive a file using DSZ's Ymodem-G with my Practical
Peripherals 2400 MNP5 from an USR HST.  I have never been able to use
Ymodem-G, but this is the first time I tried a transfer using DSZ.  I
usually use Telix which just says transfer aborted.  DSZ gave me
"out of synce error:  11 should have been 6".  The '11' kept incrementing
until the transfer aborted.  I'm pretty certain that the problem is in my
serial port because I was hit by a surge that fried parts of my expansion
bus and most likely my serial port.  I would like to know exactly what is
damamged in my serial port.  In case there isn't anything wrong with my
serial port, here is my init string:

    "ATM1 Q0 V1 X4 M1 E0 \N3 \Q3 \G1 \J0 \V1"

It's possible that I may have forgot to list a few settings, but I've had no
problems using a locked baud rate of 9600.

--Tim
--
  **  The Mages' Guild :: (301)939-9139 :: 2400MNP5 :: WWIVLink @13124 **

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (08/14/90)

In article <13543@smoke.BRL.MIL> timg@smoke.BRL.MIL (Timothy Gion) writes:

>I recently tried to receive a file using DSZ's Ymodem-G with my Practical
>Peripherals 2400 MNP5 from an USR HST.  I have never been able to use
>Ymodem-G, but this is the first time I tried a transfer using DSZ.  I
>usually use Telix which just says transfer aborted.  DSZ gave me
>"out of synce error:  11 should have been 6".  The '11' kept incrementing
>until the transfer aborted.  I'm pretty certain that the problem is in my

Looks like something happened to blocks 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10.
Possibly flow control problems at the sending end.

If you Want YMODEM-g speed and error recovery too ZMODEM with
MobyTurbo(Tm) is a good bet.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF