[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit setup...

ted@gouldnl.encore.nl (Ted Lindgreen) (08/16/90)

In <1990Aug14.194845.24322@cimcor.mn.org> det@cimcor.mn.org (Derek Terveer) writes:

>Ken McVay writes:
>> [...]  UUCP uses
>> XON/XOFF characters in its protocol and the modem uses it for flow control;
>> this creates a conflict.  However the TBITs know this and work with it.

>Huh?

>> I am also currently running SCO Xenix 2.3.2, with a T2500 on my (dumb)
>> serial card and the default (XON/XOFF) flow control works fine.
>> (Except when doing UUCP with slow modems; but that's a different story)

>I don't believe that this is true.

Yes, perhaps amazing, but it is true.

When a trailblazer goes into UUCP g-protocol spoofing mode,
Xonn/Xoff flow control is automatically switched off.  Because
the UUCP only sends (flow) control characters in the g-protocol
packets and in (binary) data (i.e. not during setup, where
g-protocol spoofing is not in effect) this works fine and
reliable.

Because the trailblazer only uses g-protocol spoofing in
PEP-mode, this does not work when connected to slow modems.

So, if your trailblazer is used for a variety of modems for
interactive work, but only with other trailblazers for UUCP,
you can get away with setting the trailblazer to Xon/Xoff
flowcontrol, and using a fixed interface speed.

Of course, if your system is capable of using rts/cts flow-
control it is safer to use that. Unless you are the unfortunate
owner of a system, that react a bit to "enthousiastic" in
rts/cts flow control mode (stopping and starting the flow
after each character), causing your throughput to slow down.
I don't remember anymore which systems suffer from this.

--
| Ted Lindgreen                                      ted@encore.nl |
| Encore Unix Centre Europe          ...!mcsun!hp4nl!encore.nl!ted |