[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit, UUCP and XON/XOFF

bob@semantic.UUCP (08/15/90)

> When a trailblazer goes into UUCP g-protocol spoofing mode,
> Xonn/Xoff flow control is automatically switched off.
>
> Because the trailblazer only uses g-protocol spoofing in
> PEP-mode, this does not work when connected to slow modems.
>
> So, if your trailblazer is used for a variety of modems for
> interactive work, but only with other trailblazers for UUCP,
> you can get away with setting the trailblazer to Xon/Xoff
> flowcontrol, and using a fixed interface speed.
>
> Of course, if your system is capable of using rts/cts flow-
> control it is safer to use that.

Just to let you all know why and when I use flow control:

1) 	I do not use rts/cts flow control. It's not the default of my
	version of unix.  Configuring the system to use it would be
	a hassle, plus I would have to get new I/O ports which have the
	proper pins/lines.

2) 	All PEP connections use xon/xoff flow control.  In UUCP
	connections the telebit knows there is going to be a problem
	and works with. (I guess it just turns of flow control)  We
	use 'cu' quite a bit here and my users loos characters with
	out the flow control enabled.

3)	All non-telebit connections have flow control turned off
	between the port and modem, with xon/xoff between modems.
	This is necessary because uucp spoofing is not in effect
	and and uucp fakes out the modem and files never get through.
	As far as interactive dialup is concerned I guess the xon/xoff
	characters just go right through to the remote modem.  Works
	fine.

4)	I got all this to work, I'm happy, so I don't care to go
	researching into rts/cts flow control.  No flow control at
	times sounds a little risky, but it works.

>I just know I going to get stomped on for this but, why haven't you used the
>dialTBIT?

dialTBIT works great until you need to create a variety of options.  I got
board of rewriting dialTBIT every time I wanted a new option.  Now I just
chuck another entry in the Dialers file.  Much easier.

What if you want the modem to pick up and notice that a line is in use.
Woops hold on I gotta go resarch around in dialTBIT and recompile and
test and ...

-- Robert A. Gorman (Bob)        bob@rsi.com           Watertown MA US --
-- Relational Semantics, Inc.    uunet!semantic!bob    +1 617 926 0979 --
-- No I'm not Ken McVay, Just an evil twin.

revell@uunet.UU.NET (James R Revell Jr) (08/16/90)

In article <10329@gouldnl.encore.nl> ted@gouldnl.encore.nl (Ted Lindgreen) writes:
>When a trailblazer goes into UUCP g-protocol spoofing mode,
>Xonn/Xoff flow control is automatically switched off.  Because
>the UUCP only sends (flow) control characters in the g-protocol
>packets and in (binary) data (i.e. not during setup, where
>g-protocol spoofing is not in effect) this works fine and reliable.
>
>So, if your trailblazer is used for a variety of modems for
>interactive work, but only with other trailblazers for UUCP,
>you can get away with setting the trailblazer to Xon/Xoff
>flowcontrol, and using a fixed interface speed.

I have seen (and fixed) too many problems with UUCP connections
using Telebits in PEP mode to believe this.  Quite often when I
have someone reporting UUCP problems change the appropriate flow
control register (still at factory default value 3 - XON/XOFF
enabled) their problem disapears.  This happens even when g
protocol spoofing is enabled.

--
James Revell	uunet postmaster	revell@uunet.uu.net	/8^{~