[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit setup: T2500 on lease line

kmcvay@icgnu.UUCP (Ken McVay [1B Systems Management]) (08/10/90)

I've been banging my head against the wall here, trying to make two T2500's
behave themselves....

The modems are on each end of a leased phone line, and they have never really
performed reliably. I'm unfamiliar with the differences in operation when using
leased lines instead of dialup, and would appreciate some pointers, particularly
concerning flow control. The modem at this end is set as default AECM, with
the following exceptions:

S07=255
S41=002
S50=255
S51=005
S55=003
S101=001
S105=000
S110=001
S111=030
S255=000

Given the present performance (ie nearly useless most of the time) I have
no problem starting over at both ends....

The systems are running SCO Xenix 2.3.2, and both are using Wyse smart port
cards (don't know which ones just yet - I'm new around here).

Any and all helpful suggestions gratefully accepted!

bob@semantic.UUCP (08/10/90)

Ken McVay writes:

> I've been banging my head against the wall here, trying to make two T2500's
> behave themselves. The modems are on each end of a leased phone line.

> I'm unfamiliar with the differences in operation when using leased lines
> instead of dialup, and would appreciate some pointers, particularly
> concerning flow control.

> The systems are running SCO Xenix 2.3.2, and both are using Wyse smart port
> cards

Well I'm not familiar with leased lines but I am familiar with T2500s,
SCO Xenix 2.3.2 and smart cards.

Since your running Xenix I assune you are using some kind of 386 or 486 PC
clone.  Probably a Wyse?  These usually come configured with a stand
PC RS232-C serial port. Every good clone should.  My first suggestion is to
try running your modems off of these serial ports rather than the smart ports.
This will eliminate a whole level of guessing and flow control!  UUCP uses
XON/XOFF characters in its protocol and the modem uses it for flow control;
this creates a conflict.  However the TBITs know this and work with it. But
your smart card is sitting there in the middle!  And it can't figure out
what the heck is going on.  So first off; Get off the stupid smart card
for a while until you get everything else worked out.

I am also currently running SCO Xenix 2.3.2, with a T2500 on my (dumb)
serial card and the default (XON/XOFF) flow control works fine.
(Except when doing UUCP with slow modems; but that's a different story)

> I'm unfamiliar with the differences in operation when using leased lines

Now this sounds like there would be a few basic registars to set and I bet
Telebit Tech Support could tell you what they are.

However here is my standard dialup configuration (For T2000s & T2500s):
(The ones with stars(*) I think are applicable)

* &f	 Reset Modem
* e0	 Echo off; Don't need a getty on our case.
* q6	 Be quiet, unless your asked
  x14	 Notice when the line is in use
  38=20	 Standard delay before disconnect
* 45=255 Enable remote access
* 48=1	 Use eight bit comparison
* 51=5	 19200 baud Interface speed
  52=2	 Reset on disconnect
* 54=3	 Standard break interpertation
  61=25	 Low speaker volume
* 66=1	 Lock interface speed
  92=1	 PEP tones last
* 110=1	 Enable data compression
* 111=30 Use UUCP protocol
* 131=1	 Data carrier detect when data carrier detected
* &w	 Save in NVRAM

A few notes on your current configuration:

S07=255  (The default of 40 should be sufficient, See S101 description)
S41=002  (This is a leased line, why bother with an inactivity timer?)
S50=255  (Correct)
S51=005  (Correct)
S55=003  (Worried about +++ in the data stream?)
S101=001 (The other is set to 2, right?)
S105=000 (I don't understand the purpose of this)
S110=001 (Correct)
S111=030 (Correct)
S255=000 (This is the default)

-- Good Luck!

-- Robert A. Gorman (Bob)        bob@rsi.com           Watertown MA US --
-- Relational Semantics, Inc.    uunet!semantic!bob    +1 617 926 0979 --

det@cimcor.mn.org (Derek Terveer) (08/15/90)

Ken McVay writes:
> [...]  UUCP uses
> XON/XOFF characters in its protocol and the modem uses it for flow control;

Er, don't you mean that xon/xoff are not treated in any special way, i.e., for
flow control, and that they are valid data bytes.  The telebits may be set
(by changing the values of specific registers) to use a variety of flow control
methods, including rcs/cts and xon/xoff.  It is typically set to xon/xoff by
default for non-uucp users.

> this creates a conflict.  However the TBITs know this and work with it.

Huh?

> I am also currently running SCO Xenix 2.3.2, with a T2500 on my (dumb)
> serial card and the default (XON/XOFF) flow control works fine.
> (Except when doing UUCP with slow modems; but that's a different story)

I don't believe that this is true.  Most likely you are either not sending
binary files or your uucp is sending and resending a lot of packets.  Change to
hardware flow control if you can.  What kind of throughput are you getting with
xon/xoff flow control enabled?

> However here is my standard dialup configuration (For T2000s & T2500s):
> (The ones with stars(*) I think are applicable)
>
> * &f	 Reset Modem
> * e0	 Echo off; Don't need a getty on our case.
> * q6	 Be quiet, unless your asked
>   x14	 Notice when the line is in use
>   38=20	 Standard delay before disconnect
> * 45=255 Enable remote access
> * 48=1	 Use eight bit comparison
> * 51=5	 19200 baud Interface speed

I wouldn't recommend this unless you are really sure your serial port can
handle 19200 without dropping characters.

>   52=2	 Reset on disconnect
> * 54=3	 Standard break interpertation
>   61=25	 Low speaker volume
> * 66=1	 Lock interface speed
>   92=1	 PEP tones last
> * 110=1	 Enable data compression

I wouldn't recommend this unless you are sending a lot of UNcompressed files.

derek
--
temporarily:  			derek@cimcor.MN.ORG
as soon as i get my pc back:	det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (08/16/90)

We run all our modems locked at 19.2 kbaud with hardware flow control only
and have no problem with any tranfers (uucp, zmodem, ymodem, sealink, etc..)

            uucp: iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry  -or-  larry@nstar
     Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 lines/PEP/HST/Hayes-V)

datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) (08/16/90)

>Change to
>hardware flow control if you can.

Many say this; none say how to do it.
.

--
beak is								    beak is not

ralphs@halcyon.wa.com (Ralph Sims) (08/16/90)

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:

> We run all our modems locked at 19.2 kbaud with hardware flow control only
> and have no problem with any tranfers (uucp, zmodem, ymodem, sealink, etc..)

I'll have to second this (all of my _one_ modems).  The machines I'm dialing
in to are using 9600 DTE rates (or are floating the baudrate--not sure how
you *nix-er's do things), and I get ~770cps with batched news and around
that for zmodem transfers.  I'd expect to get higher throughputs with their
ports opened to 19.2.  Would it be a good guess that uucico enjoys an 80%
effective throughput (20% overhead with 3 windows?)?  Couple that with phone
line degradation and ~1100cps may be max.

Remember the days when we tried uucico with USR HST's at 38.4?  ~340cps with
a tailwind (my phone bill STILL hasn't recovered. :-)

--
  Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...