[comp.dcom.modems] Naive Question

grayic@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Ivor C Gray) (08/21/90)

Are there any problems associated with using modem connections between the UK
and the USA due to the difference in the audio frequencies utilised?

thanks,
ivor

dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) (08/23/90)

In <8161.9008211255@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> grayic@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Ivor C Gray) writes:

>Are there any problems associated with using modem connections between the UK
>and the USA due to the difference in the audio frequencies utilised?

At 2400 baud and above, things are pretty much standardized, but this is still
a problem at 1200.  Most Hayes-compatible modems offer a software switch
(ATB0/ATB1) to select between the Bell 212 standard used in North America and
the v.22 standard common in Britain.  Really smart ones will shift to match
the answering tone regardless of setting, but this is probably not as reliable
as setting your modem ahead of time to match the receiver.

v.23 modems are virtually unknown in North America--don't even bother trying
to connect with one of these.

You may find that transatlantic phone calls are subject to a lot of line
noise.  You *may* be able to avoid both this and modem-tone conflicts if
your destination is reachable through a packet-switched network like Tymnet
or Telenet....
                                                 Dave

srm@Unify.Com (Steve Maraglia) (08/24/90)

In article <8161.9008211255@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> grayic@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Ivor C Gray) writes:

>Are there any problems associated with using modem connections between the UK
>and the USA due to the difference in the audio frequencies utilised?

I've had a uucp/email link setup for about 3 months now between
the UK and Sacramento with two Trailblazers and works GREAT!

--
Steve Maraglia				   internet: srm@unify.com
Unify Corporation			   ..!{uunet,csusac,pyramid}!unify!srm