[comp.dcom.modems] References to Information on "SLIP" Requested

mbell@cie.uoregon.edu (Max Bell) (08/24/90)

Hello.  I am very interesting in learning more about "SLIP".  I would be
thankful for any leads on references to information about it.  Thanks in
advance for any and all help provided.

                       Max

 /\  /\/ Max Bell              | "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from
/  \/ /\ mbell@cie.uoregon.edu | time to time with the blood of patriots and
------------------------------ | tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (08/25/90)

In article <1990Aug24.010459.17379@cs.uoregon.edu> mbell@cie.uoregon.edu (Max Bell) writes:
   I am very interesting in learning more about "SLIP".  I would be
   thankful for any leads on references to information about it.

SLIP, the Serial Line Internet Protocol, was defined in RFC1055.  A
performance improvement (header compression) was defined in RFC1144.

But don't bother: SLIP has been obsoleted by PPP, the Point to Point
Protocol, as defined in RFC1134 and refined in RFC1171 and RFC1172.

mbell@cie.uoregon.edu (Max Bell) (08/25/90)

}
}But don't bother: SLIP has been obsoleted by PPP, the Point to Point
}Protocol, as defined in RFC1134 and refined in RFC1171 and RFC1172.

Thank you for the information.  Could you tell me where I might be able to
FTP these RFC documents?  I am posting this to the newsgroup instead of by
email due to the high number of people who emailed me asking to be forwarded
any information I received.

terry@eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (08/28/90)

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) writes:

>But don't bother: SLIP has been obsoleted by PPP, the Point to Point
>Protocol, as defined in RFC1134 and refined in RFC1171 and RFC1172.

So where can I get a freely distributable implementation of PPP for my
Suns?

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University

craig@calvin.UUCP (Craig S. Cochran) (08/29/90)

In article <BOB.90Aug24135634@volitans.MorningStar.Com> bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) writes:

>But don't bother: SLIP has been obsoleted by PPP, the Point to Point
>Protocol, as defined in RFC1134 and refined in RFC1171 and RFC1172.

PPP?  I've bever heard of this.  Is this protocol more efficient than SLIP?
Is there a public domain implementation of PPP for Unix?  Will it support
PC-NFS?  Please enlighten me...

--
Craig S. Cochran                           Valid Logic Systems
Voice: 408/944-8037                        San Jose, CA  95134