[comp.dcom.modems] V23 modems

Hi.

Anyone have a source for reliable V23 modems that fake the 75 baud back
channel to 1200 baud so they can be used on a computer that doesn't like
split-speed action? Southwestern Bell has flooded Houston with cheesy
Minitel terminals and I'd like to make a BBS accessible to them.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) (08/28/90)

In <3LE5EW2@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Anyone have a source for reliable V23 modems that fake the 75 baud back
>channel to 1200 baud so they can be used on a computer that doesn't like
>split-speed action? Southwestern Bell has flooded Houston with cheesy
>Minitel terminals and I'd like to make a BBS accessible to them.

When I was inquiring into v.23 modems to see what would be involved in
supporting users in the UK, I was assured that the v.23 modems sold for
home use there *all* fake the back channel to 1200 baud.  This seems like
the right way to do it....

I just don't know where you're going to find one for sale on this side of
the Atlantic.
                                            Dave

paul@actrix.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (08/29/90)

In article <359@saxony.pa.reuter.COM> dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) writes:
>When I was inquiring into v.23 modems to see what would be involved in
>supporting users in the UK, I was assured that the v.23 modems sold for
>home use there *all* fake the back channel to 1200 baud.  This seems like
>the right way to do it....

Sorry, but there do exist many V.23 modems which require the DTE
interface to talk to the back channel at 75 baud.  One clever chap
here in New Zealand managed to write a comms package which fakes 75
bps on an IBM PC by toggling lines directly (since the clock chip
doesn't have a divisor to do this).

So, it *is* possible to use a 75 bps channel on a PC, if you've got
the right software.  It's mostly the cheaper V.23 modems which fail
to lock the DTE speed to 1200 bps.
--
Paul Gillingwater, paul@actrix.co.nz