[comp.dcom.modems] Serial chips/FAS driver

ed@alt.dah.sub.org (Ed Braaten) (08/30/90)

david@monymsys.uucp (David Kozinn) writes:

>Aside from what the others have mentioned, this could also be the dreaded 8250
>slowdown problem. It seems that on many (most?) 386-based systems, the serial
>drivers can't keep up with input at full speed using the stock 8250 chip. The
>solution is to replace it with a 16550AN chip and use the FAS 2.06 replacement
>serial driver that's available out there in net-land.

Be sure to check which chip you actually have.  Many better 386-based
systems are now using the i82510 as a replacement for the 8250.  This chip
has FIFO's!   There are patches available to FAS which enable the i82510
FIFO's for improved performance...

        Ed Braaten             |  Jesus answered,  "I am the way and the
Work: ed@imuse.de.intel.com    |  truth and the life.  No one comes to the
Home: ed@alt.dah.sub.org       |  Father except through me."   John 14:6