[comp.dcom.modems] Looking for on-line V.35 specs ?

pushp@nic.cerf.net (Pushpendra Mohta) (08/16/90)

I wonder if some one has an on-line copy of
V.35 specs .

--pushpendra
CERFNEt

tnixon@hsfmsh.UUCP (Toby Nixon) (08/18/90)

In article <143@nic.cerf.net>, pushp@nic.cerf.net (Pushpendra Mohta)
asks:

- I wonder if some one has an on-line copy of V.35 specs.

I don't, but I want to point out something.  V.35 is a standard for
a 48,000bps group-band modem.  It is not, and never has been, and
"interface standard", which is what most people mean when they talk
about "V.35".  An appendix to V.35 described electrical
characteristics for a serial interface, but didn't even mention a
connector (and most people are referring to a connector when they
refer to V.35).

CCITT Study Group XVII has discontinued support for and publication
of V.35, because it is obsolete.  V.10 and V.11 describe the
electrical characteristics one should use.  There is still no
standard defined for the connector, although ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 6/WG 3
is working on such a standard.  V.36 and V.37 describe more modern
group-band modems, if that's really what one is looking for.

If one is looking for a modern interface standard for high-speed
devices, ANSI/EIA-530 is ideal.  It uses the traditional 25-pin
D-shell connector, but the V.10/V.11 (EIA-422/423) electrical
characteristics, and can handle up to 2 megabit data rates at 1,000
feet.

If you REALLY NEED V.35, you'll have to find specs from one of the
companies that makes "V.35" devices, such as IBM.  There is nothing
in the national or international standards that describes the "total
package" of electrical characteristics, pin assignments, and connector
physical characteristics.

	-- Toby

Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer     Fax:    +1-404-441-1213  Telex: 6502670805
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc.  Voice:  +1-404-449-8791  CIS:    70271,404
Norcross, Georgia, USA             BBS:    +1-404-446-6336  MCI:       TNIXON
                                   Telemail: T.NIXON/HAYES  AT&T:     !tnixon
UUCP:   ...!uunet!hayes!tnixon     Internet:        hayes!tnixon@uunet.uu.net
MHS:    C=US / AD=ATTMAIL / PN=TOBY_L_NIXON / DD=TNIXON

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (08/28/90)

[I am used to concise and useful postings from Toby. The petulant tone of this
one surprised me. Generally I don't waste time correcting inaccurrate postings
on this net unless they are from someone I respect.]

>In article <143@nic.cerf.net>, pushp@nic.cerf.net (Pushpendra Mohta) asks:
>- I wonder if some one has an on-line copy of V.35 specs.

I do not believe you will find one; I've looked long and hard for *any* online
CCITT, CEPT, or ISO documents, without success. CCITT and ISO docs are almost
exclusively provided on paper through Omnicom, who charges truly outrages fees
for them.

In article <3842@hsfmsh.UUCP> tnixon@hsfmsh.UUCP (Toby Nixon) writes:
>V.35 is a standard for a 48,000bps group-band modem. It is not, and never
>has been, and "interface standard", which is what most people mean when they
>talk about "V.35".... CCITT Study Group XVII has discontinued support for
>and publication of V.35, because it is obsolete.

This is all true, but utterly irrelevant. The electrical interface described
in Appendix I of V.35 is not only widely implemented, but is also called out
explictly in CCITT X.21bis. (CCITT still persists in referring to X.21bis an
"interim" standard, which is pretty silly on the face of the evidence.) Also,
many certification bodies either support or mandate it, including DOD, CEPT
(Europe), and JATE (Japan).

>There is still no standard defined for the connector....

Not true. The standard recognized by both CCITT and CEPT is ISO 2593.

While it is true that there is no *single* document from any of the standards
bodies that defines the entire interface colloquially known as "V.35," it is
not difficult to assemble the four that you need for a complete definition:
ISO 2593, V.35, V.28, and V.24. There is nothing magic about this list; each
of the higher level documents makes clear references to the lower.

Incidentally, there is no single CCITT document that defines RS-232, either;
you need ISO 2110, V.28, and V.24. That the V.35 interface is scattered over
four documents in not unusual in this game.

>V.10 and V.11 describe the electrical characteristics one should use.

Most of us know these as the physical level of X.21, so much so that they have
colloquially become known as X.21. These *are* the CCITT-preferred interfaces
for any high-speed application. But just try to find vendors that implement
them! Most are in isolated communities (usually enforced by PTTs), in Western
Europe and Japan. But not much anywhere else in the world. If you implement a
V.10/V.11 interface, you will find little iron that can talk to. Implement the
V.35 interface, and you can talk to almost everyone.

But Todd's real point is well taken. If you are designing something new, from
scratch, you'd do well to implement V.10/V.11 first, and V.35 after. I don't
doubt that much more V.10/V.11 equipment will be available in the future. It
is a major hassle right now for Pyramid selling into Europe not to have X.21.

<csg>

a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (08/31/90)

In <124917@pyramid.pyramid.com> csg@pyramid.pyramid.com
                                               (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:

| CCITT and ISO docs are almost exclusively provided on paper through
| Omnicom, who charges truly outrages fees for them.

    CCITT docs are also available from Global Engineering Documents and
 the United Nations. The Series V recommendations (The Blue Book -VIII.1)
 costs US$51.80 from the UN and about US$80 from Global.

    Omnicom,
    115 Park St. SE,
    Vienna VA 22814
    USA,
    (703)281-1135.

    United Nations Bookshop
    General Assembly Building
    Room: G.A. 32B
    New York, NY 10017
    USA
    (212)963-7680

    Global Engineering Documents
    2805 McGaw
    Irvine, CA 92714
    USA
    (714)261-7892

    You choose.
    <-Harvey

 "If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrement."
                                                    -Florence Kennedy
 Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
 uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
 a186@mindlink.UUCP