[comp.dcom.modems] High speed error correcting modems

JUTBAAA@IUP.BITNET (Abhik Biswas) (08/29/90)

Date sent:  28-AUG-1990 13:46:19

        I am trying to find the best cost effective option for high speed
modems (at least 9.6k) for use in India where the telephone line quality
is poor. If anyone has any experience in working in a similar situation please
advice.

|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
|      Abhik  Biswas      | InterNet: JUTBAAA@oak.grove.iup.edu            |
|  Indiana University of  |                                                |
|      Pennsylvania       | Bitnet  : JUTBAAA@IUPOAK                       |
|  Indiana, Pennsylvania  |                                                |
|         U.S.A.          | Snail   : Dont even bother.                    |
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
|  DISCLAIMER:   I never said that. You must have been zzz'ing on the job  |

vernon@hpcvaac.cv.hp.com (Vernon King) (08/31/90)

I would look at modems that have the ability to change baud rates automatically
as the line quality changes. I am assuming that India's phone system is compat-
ible with ours. Error correction is a must.  For cost effectivness I would look
at v.32 modems with either mnp or lap-m for a start. You also could go with
telebit trailblazers (the 2500 does both telebit and v.32) or hst modems. The
three modems listed above seem to be the most popular but I have no idea what
would be practical in India.  I have heard that the phone system in parts of
India are quite old. Some of it is Satellite. I think your results would vary
from place to place. If I had to take a guess I would look at the telebit trail-blazer 2500 which would do both telebit pep and v32. Price is between 800 and
1200 dollars depending on vendor and your buying power. In a less expensive
solution for just v-32 with mnp I have had good luck with Multitech v-32 mt932eawhich cost between 600 and 900 dollars. Disclaimer!! Modems and phone lines are
not a exact science conditions can vary. Extreme long distances can vary in per-formance from day to day and from phone carrier to carrier. On any given day on
dial-up phone lines you could be getting to your destination in many different
methods (sa

good luck Vernon              t or fiber or coppe

shark@alchemy.ithaca.ny.us (Kris Stark) (09/03/90)

JUTBAAA@IUP.BITNET (Abhik Biswas) writes:

> Date sent:  28-AUG-1990 13:46:19
>
>         I am trying to find the best cost effective option for high speed
> modems (at least 9.6k) for use in India where the telephone line quality
> is poor. If anyone has any experience in working in a similar situation pleas
> advice.

Hmmm....  Leaves me to wonder, are you thinking of using the modem
between cities, or only in one of the larger metros?  Having lived in
India for 8 years, and dealt with the phone system, I could almost say
that you could almost totally forget all modem transmissions unless
you are calling within a MNTL (Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited)
network.  Most other lines are so bad that the best option might just
be a packet modem with a radio :-)  The other problem you would face
there is that the modem probably would not be able to recognize the
weird signal tones that the phone network there uses, and you would
definately have to add a spike and surge suppressor on the phone line.

Apart from that, I would say that a trellis modem would be a necessity,
not only because of the echo that the modems cause at the high speeds,
but also because of the echo inherent in the phones out there...

Simply said, I would think that to get any modem to work there would
be a major miracle!  I think we should make the country the official
test site of all modems....  :-)

Good luck if you do get anything to work...

BTW there is an internet node in India, they might be able to help
you out a little more.  Unfortunately I cannot remember the name,
but if you send me mail to STARK@ITHACA.BITNET I can dig out the
name of the system and get more info that way...

Kris