[comp.dcom.modems] Trailblazers

modems@telebit.UUCP (Modem Mail Account) (04/28/88)

Recently I've noticed a slight bug in the SCO dialer that is provided for
the Telebit TrailBlazer from the SCO Customer Support Department. This
disk contains several programs, including "cu", "uucico" and "dialTBIT"
which is a dial program to specifically work with the Telebit TrailBlazer.

If you have XENIX, and want to use the TrailBlazer or TrailBlazer Plus
modem, call SCO and ask for the "Telebit Update Disk" and they'll
send it out to you.

NOW, the fix. If you are using a TrailBlazer (NOT a TrailBlazer Plus), the
dialer may not work properly without a slight change. The dial program
tries to set S110=0 when it calls MDDIALOUT (see line 229 in dialTBIT.c
on the provided source code). This will result in an ERROR message from
the modem, since the TrailBlazer doesn't provide the option to run data
compression (this is a non-issue in the 'Plus, since compression is
standard).

Change the entry in line 229 of your source code from:

               #define  MDDIALOUT "ATS66=1S110=0\r"

to the new entry for the TrailBlazer:

               #define  MDDIALOUT "ATS66=1S110=255\r"

If you'd like, make two versions of the dialer, one for TrailBlazers (with the
above fix), and one for the TrailBlazer Plus (fix not needed).

Note that the fix will work with both modems, but MAY allow compression if
the modem at the other end has it enabled (with S110=1).

Hope this clears things up!

Regards,

Richard Siegel                           Phone:                   (415) 969-3800
Senior Systems Engineer                  UUCP:  {uunet,ames,hoptoad}!telebit!rls
Telebit Corporation                      ARPA:  telebit!rls@ames.ARPA

            "When the going gets tough, the weird turn pro"...HST

russ@motto.UUCP (Russell Crook) (10/19/88)

.
I have seen much discussion and commentary on the net regarding
the performance of Trailblazer Plus modems. Indeed, it
would appear that the net (at least the high volume sites) are
irretrievably hooked on them. This is *not* a flame; however, this
observation causes the following question...

It is said that, mouldering in another department here, there
exists an unused *original* Trailbalzer. Before I start trying to
lay my paws on it (and putting in the effort to get it net-ready), I ask:

Is it worth it? Is it fully/partially/not_at_all compatible
with Trailblazer Pluses? Is it too painful to consider using? What
character flaws does it have (especially the ones that caused the
creation of the Trailblazer Plus :-)) ? Rumour has it that this
particular unit does not establish connections (via autodial) very well,
but is solid once the connection is made. Is this typical? Is anyone
else using *original* Trailblazers?

advTHANKSance...

--
Russell Crook (UUCP: ...!uunet!mnetor!motto!russ)
Disclaimer: "...we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

bill@iccdev.UUCP (Bill Gaines) (10/20/88)

In article <30@motto.UUCP> russ@motto.UUCP (Russell Crook) writes:
>.
>It is said that, mouldering in another department here, there
>exists an unused *original* Trailbalzer. Before I start trying to
>lay my paws on it (and putting in the effort to get it net-ready), I ask:
>
>Is it worth it? Is it fully/partially/not_at_all compatible
>with Trailblazer Pluses? Is it too painful to consider using? What
>character flaws does it have (especially the ones that caused the
>creation of the Trailblazer Plus :-)) ? Rumour has it that this
>particular unit does not establish connections (via autodial) very well,
>but is solid once the connection is made. Is this typical? Is anyone
>else using *original* Trailblazers?

The old  Trailblazers  are compatible with the new modems.  We have four
of them.  Upgrading them is just too expensive for us.

I tried to get one of these  modems  to work  with UUCP as our  system's
primary  modem.  I had all  kinds  of  problems.  I could  not get it to
adjust  baud  rates  properly  when I tried to dial  out.  I had so many
problems  with this that I finally  decided  to use it as a dial in only
modem.

Our news feed has  Trailblazers.  They call us to transfer  our news via
UUCP.  When  their  Trailblazer  Plus  calls  our  old  Trailblazer  and
connects in FAST mode at 19200 baud, the UUCP  transfers seem to have an
effective  transfer  rate of only 1200  baud.  This is  because  the old
Trailblazer   does  not  have  the  UUCP  protocol  built  in  like  the
Trailblazer  Plus  does.  We ended up  calling  them with our Hayes 2400
baud modem and got a 2400 baud  effective  news transfer  rate.  The old
and the new modems just do not seem to work to well together  when doing
UUCP transfers.

The old  modems  are  still  reliable.  We use  them  all  the  time  to
guarantee error free  transmissions  between a Telebit  Trailblazer Plus
modem in  Scotland  and our site.  We still get the 1200 baud rate  even
then.

--
Bill Gaines
Industrial Computer Corporation

clay@claris.com (Clay A. Maeckel) (10/20/88)

In article <398@iccdev.UUCP> bill@iccdev.UUCP (Bill Gaines) writes:
>... This is  because  the old
>Trailblazer   does  not  have  the  UUCP  protocol  built  in  like  the
>Trailblazer  Plus  does.

The non-plus Trailblazer can support the UUCP protocol spoofing if you
upgrade the ROM to version 3.01 (something like that).  We have two of
the older modems (one doesn't even have the word TrailBlazer on it, only
Telebit) and upgraded one of them to the new ROMs for about $100US. We'll
upgrade the other whenever we get another phone line.

--
 Clay Maeckel         *   UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!clay
 (I know nothing!)    *   Internet:  clay@claris.com  *  GEnie: C.MAECKEL

rls@telebit.UUCP (Richard Siegel) (10/20/88)

In article <30@motto.UUCP>, russ@motto.UUCP (Russell Crook) writes:
> .
[a bunch of stuff about TrailBlazer and TrailBlazer Plus differences
 deleted]

> Is it worth it? Is it fully/partially/not_at_all compatible
> with Trailblazer Pluses? Is it too painful to consider using? What
> character flaws does it have (especially the ones that caused the
> creation of the Trailblazer Plus :-)) ? Rumour has it that this
> particular unit does not establish connections (via autodial) very well,
> but is solid once the connection is made. Is this typical? Is anyone

With regard to TrailBlazers (not-Pluses), yes they will work fine with all
existing TrailBlazer Plus modems, with a couple of exceptions.

1. The TrailBlazer does not provide the Micro-Packets which gives faster
   interactive response in the TrailBlazer Plus. For UUCP this is a non-issue.
   For ordinary use, it is somewhat annoying, but tolerable.

2. The TrailBlazer plus does not have data compression. Again, with compressed
   news in a standard feed, this too is a non-issue.

If the original TrailBlazer has firmware less than revision AA3.01, please call
our 800-TELEBIT number, and order an upgrade kit, part number RA12X-UK3, to
add the protocol support, and fix a number of bugs. It costs $124. I would
not recommend using the TrailBlazer without it, especially if your firmware
is less than rev AA3.00.

Hope this helps you out. You definitely don't have a piece of obsolete equipment
so give it a try. Our technical support number is (415) 969-2500.

Regards,

Richard Siegel                 Phone:                       (415) 969-3800
Product Manager                UUCP:  {sun,uunet,ames,hoptoad}!telebit!rls
Telebit Corporation            ARPA:  telebit!rls@ames.ARPA

                "We are, after all, professionals"...HST

dvv@hq.demos.su (Dmitry V. Volodin) (09/04/90)

Does anybody knows how to buy Telebit Trailblazers in Europe?

Dima <dvv@hq.demos.su> or <dvv%hq.demos.su@fuug.fi>