[comp.dcom.modems] Modem and Fax on Same Line

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (09/04/90)

As requested, here is the poop on above.    I didn't make ut up, but it
works for him.   (and me...)

From: phillip@bartal.CRLABS.COM (Phillip M. Vogel)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.modems,alt.fax

OK, so here's what I do. I have the modem (Telebit TrailBlazer
Plus) and the Fax set up to answer on the first ring.  The fax is
plugged into the 'phone' jack on the modem.

The modem is programmed to disconnect after 18 seconds of no carrier (S7=18).
The fax machine allows 30 seconds to make a connection.

The line rings, they both pick up, the fax is disconnected by the relay in
the modem.

If the call is from a modem, the modem keeps the line and the fax
drops out after 30 seconds.

If the call is from a fax, the modem hangs up after 18 seconds,
reconnecting the fax. The fax then has 12 seconds to make its connection.

This setup has been in place for over two years, and EVERYONE who
calls (FAX, 300, 1200, 2400, PEP) connects with no problem.  I
also had this setup running on an Avatex 2400 modem, but that
required a slight mod to the modem in order to get the relay to
disconnect the phone jack at the appropriate time (no big deal,
but with the TB+ it's plug in and go).
--
Phillip M. Vogel, President             | #include <standard_disclaimer.h>
Bartal Design Group, Inc. Englewood, NJ | (201)567-1343

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (404)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741
                             emory!mnopltd!neal