[comp.dcom.modems] v.32bis modems??

greg@turbo.atl.ga.us (Greg Montgomery) (09/03/90)

I remember seeing an ad awhile ago for a V.32bis modem. Does anyone know
what companies manufacture V.32bis modems and how close it is to being
approved by CCITT??

Thanks..

Greg

----
Greg Montgomery        Internet:  greg@turbo.atl.ga.us
                   UUCP (smart):  greg@turbo.UUCP
                   UUCP (route):  {rutgers,ogcise,gatech}!emory!turbo!greg

bruce@ccavax.camb.com (09/05/90)

In article <1g4Vo1w162w@turbo.atl.ga.us>, greg@turbo.atl.ga.us (Greg Montgomery) writes:
> I remember seeing an ad awhile ago for a V.32bis modem. Does anyone know
> what companies manufacture V.32bis modems and how close it is to being

Any of the modem manufacturers that use DSP technology have a fair chance of
being able to simply upgrade via a prom change to v.32bis in what ever flavor
is actually finally approved.

The bug rub for many companies may well be that 19.2 as an interface speed
just isn't enough, and 38.4 will be necessary causing all sorts of problems
especailly for PC users with 8250 uarts on an internal modem card, or on
the serial card facing an external modem.

You really also want v.42 bis at the same time for your compression and error
correction.

One company for sure is advertising an upgrade package to take ANY of their
v.32 DSP technology modems up to v.32bis *WITH* v.42bis and in the package
they include their Group-3 PC S/W for sending and receiving FAXes.

That company is DSI (Digicom Systems Inc), the "PLUS Option" (for
v.32bis + v.42bis + "FlashFax PC S/W") lists for $200. The lowest price
v.32 boxed modem they have is their 9624LE that lists for around $795.
That puts the whole thing just under $1k. Obviously noobody in the PC
world pays list.

I think they are a few weeks away from shipping V.32bis WITH V.42bis, but
you can get V.32 with V.42bis, or V.32bis with V.42 right now.

Wherever you buy a modem today, be sure they will commit to getting you
to full v.32bis + v.42bis shortly and for a known low price - else shop
elsewhere.

DSI sells through distributors to dealers, but they can tell you where to
shop. Try: 800-833-8900

ususal disclaimer: no connection.