[comp.dcom.modems] Use a auto-answer modem and answering machine on one line?

e556@nysaes.cornell.edu (Ron Pool) (08/22/90)

Does anyone know of a workable method of using an auto-answer modem (for a
bulletin board system) and an answering machine on one phone line with one
phone number?  I am aware that there are systems where more than one
number can be assigned to one line and the line will receive different
ring signals when different numbers are called, but that is not what I am
interested in here.

I want to be able to accept voice calls to the answering machine at any
time; I also want the modem to accept calls at any time.  My understanding
is that the auto-answer modem (which will be in answer, not originate,
mode) needs to send a carrier in order to let the remote (calling) modem
connect.  Because of this, I'm not even sure that a good solution to this
problem is possible.

A solution where someone has to speak a code phrase or select a port via a
touch-tone option are not acceptable here.

Any ideas or pointers to a solution?  Thanks in advance.

nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) (08/27/90)

In article <1990Aug22.164938.5316@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, e556@nysaes.cornell.edu (Ron Pool) writes:
> Does anyone know of a workable method of using an auto-answer modem (for a
> bulletin board system) and an answering machine on one phone line with one
> phone number? I want to be able to accept voice calls to the answering
> machine at any > time; I also want the modem to accept calls at any time.
> A solution where someone has to speak a code phrase or select a port via a
> touch-tone option are not acceptable here.

Gee, try to make thing tough for us.  The only suggestion I can come up with
would be a system which required some verbalization within some time frame
after the answer, in the absence of which the call is routed to the modem.  I
don't know of such a beast.  (It also sounds like you can't use this solution.)

I solved a similar problem with a device called "The Switcher", which answers
the phone and switches to either an answering machine or a modem (and/or a
fax machine).  The default is the answering machine.  To get to the modem,
you have to key a '2' within 4.5 seconds of the answer.  To do this, you
change your dialer string to ATDT555-1212,,,,,2222.  Most Autodialer programs
I have seen have enough capability to allow at least five commas, each of
which will pause the dialing modem for a second or so (depends upon what the
comma pause is programmed to on most modems, default is 1 second.)  In using
this device, I have discovered that it works about 90 percent of the te.
It also works if you wait about 25 seconds after answering before keying
the '222' sequence.  This can also be programmed into the modem, but many
autodialer programs don't have this much flexibility.
Mike Nolan                                 "To err is human, to forgive
Tailored Software Services, Inc.            is divine, to procrastinate is,
Lincoln, Nebraska (402) 423-1490            um, can I get back to you on that?"
UUCP: tssi!nolan   (feed site changing, dsndata!tssi!nolan might be better)
INTERNET:  nolan@pythia.unl.edu (only if the other address doesn't work)

alvitar@xavax.com (Phillip Harbison) (08/31/90)

In article <1770@tssi.UUCP> nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) writes:
> In article <1990Aug22.164938.5316@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, e556@nysaes.cornell.edu
> (Ron Pool) writes:
> > Does anyone know of a workable method of using an auto-answer modem
> > (for a bulletin board system) and an answering machine on one phone
> > line with one phone number?
>
> I solved a similar problem with a device called "The Switcher", which
> answers the phone and switches to either an answering machine or a modem
> (and/or a fax machine).  The default is the answering machine.  To get
> to the modem, you have to key a '2' within 4.5 seconds of the answer.

I've tried such a device and my success wasn't near the 90% rate you have
experienced.  I talked with several other people having the same problem,
i.e. a need to cut down on line costs by sharing a line between some com-
bination of a modem, a fax, and voice.  My conclusion is that what is
needed is a box that automatically answers the phone, then gives a dial
tone.  The calling party must then dial the number of the extension they
wish connected.  If no number is dialed, the box would time out and connect
to the default port.  The major advantage of this is that it is not neces-
sary to detect when the called party has answered.  Most modems can wait
for multiple dial tones.  I don't know about fax machines, but I assume
they have similar features to modem autodialers.  In my situation, I'd
probably specify voice to be the default.  A ring sound could be sent back
to the caller to keep them amused until I pick up the phone.

I have some background in telecom and datacom and I am interested in
building such a device.  I also have a friend who owns a manufacturing
company who is interested in building and selling it.  I would like to
know if there are many people who would be interested in such a box,
or if they think it is an appropriate way to solve the problem.  I wel-
come your opinions, either by email or in this forum.  I will summarize
to the net if I get alot of email on this subject.

--
Live: Phil Harbison, Xavax, P.O. Box 7413, Huntsville, AL 35807
Uucp: alvitar@xavax.com

sysop@mixcom.UUCP (System Operator) (08/31/90)

I've ordered one of those devices from JDR (see the back of any
Computer Shopper).  I should have it next week and can let the
net know how well it works.

JDR's price is $109.95.
DAMARK has a box in its catalog for $99.99.

There are probably several others.

I went with JDR with the hope that updates will be available
since nothing works 100% right the first few ROM revisions.

Dean

nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) (09/03/90)

In article <1990Aug31.034046.5793@xavax.com>, alvitar@xavax.com (Phillip Harbison) writes:
>                                         My conclusion is that what is
> needed is a box that automatically answers the phone, then gives a dial
> tone.  The calling party must then dial the number of the extension they
> wish connected.  If no number is dialed, the box would time out and connect
> to the default port.  The major advantage of this is that it is not neces-
> sary to detect when the called party has answered.  Most modems can wait
> for multiple dial tones.  I don't know about fax machines, but I assume
> they have similar features to modem autodialers.  In my situation, I'd
> probably specify voice to be the default.  A ring sound could be sent back
> to the caller to keep them amused until I pick up the phone.

I suspect that giving a dial tone would likely confuse any human caller,
especialy on long distance calls.  I wonder if it would confuse phone dialing
systems as well.  Perhaps if a synthesized voice answered, spoke briefly,
THEN the dial tone showed up, but perhaps this would confuse modems....

My experiences with "The Switcher" show that it helps to give the signal to
switch to the modem (in my case, 2222), several times, producing the
following:

ATDT555-1212,,,,222,,,,222,,,,222

Or alternatively:  ATDT555-1212,,,2,,2,,2,,2,,2,,2   (each ',' is a 1 sec delay)

Maybe we can merge this thread with the "Caller ID" threads running in
several newsgroups, and have the answering system know based on the
incoming phone number whether to answer with voice or modem or fax.

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (09/03/90)

->> (Ron Pool) writes:
->> > Does anyone know of a workable method of using an auto-answer modem
->> > (for a bulletin board system) and an answering machine on one phone
->> > line with one phone number?
->>
->I have some background in telecom and datacom and I am interested in
->building such a device.  I also have a friend who owns a manufacturing
->company who is interested in building and selling it.  I would like to
->know if there are many people who would be interested in such a box,
->or if they think it is an appropriate way to solve the problem.  I wel-
->come your opinions, either by email or in this forum.  I will summarize
->to the net if I get alot of email on this subject.

I hate to repeat previously mentioned articles, but someone DID post
instructions on hooking your fax to your modem which works great on
Telebit modems and might on others.   I will dig it out and repost if
desired.    Otherwise, I prefer not to dink around with my voice lines as
it annoys my customers.

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (404)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741
                             emory!mnopltd!neal

mel@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Melchior A. Meilchen) (09/03/90)

In article <1990Aug31.034046.5793@xavax.com> alvitar@xavax.com (Phillip Harbison) writes:
>company who is interested in building and selling it.  I would like to
>know if there are many people who would be interested in such a box,
>or if they think it is an appropriate way to solve the problem.  I wel-
>come your opinions, either by email or in this forum.  I will summarize
>to the net if I get alot of email on this subject.

I would be very interested in such a device. Ideally, I would like
to run a modem, fax, answering machine and voice all on one line :-).

But seriusly, having two lines, one for fax/modem and the other for the
voice links sounds O.K.

But would your machine require that you tell all the people that call you
to dial an extension after they get a second dial tone?  Something
transparent to the user would be ideal. And under $100, also.

sysop@mixcom.UUCP (System Operator) (09/05/90)

>to run a modem, fax, answering machine and voice all on one line :-).
>
>But seriusly, having two lines, one for fax/modem and the other for the
>voice links sounds O.K.

I bought, and will shortly try to return, a box that is supposed to
switch between fax, modem and telephone.  Does it work?

NO and YES

Does it work the way I want it to work?  NO!  A modem cannot call
the box using the method usually used and get routed to a modem
rather than telephone.

These boxes cannot tell when a "normal" modem calls, and routes the
call to a telephone.  The modem in some fax machines send a tone
when calling another fax.  The box uses that tone to determine that a
fax is calling.

Some modems can be configured to send a tone when calling.  But not
all, and probably not the cheap ones (which we all have, right?).
Normally the answering modem sends the tone modems use to negotiate
baud rate.

My opinion:  Can you use one of these boxes to share a telephone
line between modem and telephone on a BBS?   NO.

Dean
--
    Milwaukee Information eXchange (MIX), public access *NIX/Usenet
        MIX Communications, P.O. Box 17166, Milwaukee, WI 53217