[comp.dcom.modems] Slowing down touch-tone dialing?

cidai@cdp.UUCP (09/06/90)

How can I tell the modem to dial touch-tone slower?? We are
overseas with a poor national telephone system and the
number is dialed too quickly making it impossible to connect
on long strings. I use ProComm and I know there's a modem
setup code in there somewhere that can slow this thing down.
The modem is a WorldPort Fax/Modem. Thanks for any help.

ralphs@halcyon.wa.com (Ralph Sims) (09/07/90)

cidai@cdp.UUCP writes:

> How can I tell the modem to dial touch-tone slower?? We are

Tweak the S11 register.  The higher the number, the slower the modem
will dial.  The range varies with the modem, but generally the default
is 70.  I can get dependable results as low as 40 through my telco's
Central Office, and I don't know if there's an upper limit.  The figures
represent the duration and spacing of the tones in milliseconds.

--
  Remember when dethroning idols to save the pedestals--they may come
  in handy...

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (09/08/90)

In article <1111100011@cdp> cidai@cdp.UUCP writes:

>How can I tell the modem to dial touch-tone slower?? We are
>overseas with a poor national telephone system and the
>number is dialed too quickly making it impossible to connect
>on long strings. I use ProComm and I know there's a modem
>setup code in there somewhere that can slow this thing down.
>The modem is a WorldPort Fax/Modem. Thanks for any help.

If it is a hayes compatible modem, then register S11 sets the touch tone
timing. The deafult is usually 95ms. Try this command to the modem

ATS11=delay

Where delay is between 50 and 255. Sounds like you might want to try the
maximum of 255ms.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254