[comp.dcom.modems] Lkg for 19200 baud SYNC modem <= $2000 !?

bruce@idsssd.UUCP (Bruce T. Harvey) (09/10/90)

Does anyone know of a 19200 baud synchronous modem (mux<-->mux)
for less than $2000?  It's almost as cheap for us to buy another
mux pair with internal 9600 baud modems.

Many thanks.

bruce@idsssd.UUCP

Bruce T. Harvey  {B-}> |                    ... cp1!sarin!wb3ffv!idsssd!bruce
System Software Dvlpmt | ... idssup!idsssd!bruce  -or- ...ctnews!idsssd!bruce
(301) 329-1100 -- x312 | In*sight Distribution Systems -Hunt Valley, MD 21031

vernon@hpcvaac.cv.hp.com (Vernon King) (09/11/90)

True 19200 modems are rare and expensive. Are your muxes hooked up to lease
line or dialup. Multitech has some 14.4 lease line modems/muxes in various
configurations.
                                  Hope this helps Vernon

bruce@ccavax.camb.com (09/11/90)

In article <771@idsssd.UUCP>, bruce@idsssd.UUCP (Bruce T. Harvey) writes:
> Does anyone know of a 19200 baud synchronous modem (mux<-->mux)
> for less than $2000?  It's almost as cheap for us to buy another
> mux pair with internal 9600 baud modems.

Where are you going with it. In town? Or across country?

Analog leased line modems modems are dying FAST. DDS II and
fractional T1, along with the carriers RAISING analog ckt prices
makes it generally better to simply switch to digital services.

In NYC, ant DDS II rate from 2.4 to 56kb is the SAME price. Most
long haul carriers (except possibly AT&T) will charge you for the
FULL 64kb DS0 regardless of whether you use it for analog, or DDS
at any rate up to 64kb. It is your local loops that will differ.
Now with DDS II pricing available many places, digital local loops
(at 56 or possibly even 64kb) may be less than analog, and several
long haul carriers will currently PAY FOR ALL installation charges
(theirs and the local rip-off carrier's) just to get you to sign
up!

Why are you using analog!?

If it is short haul on private copper, the CSU/DSU you would have
had to buy to connect to a carrier will generally also function as
a short haul line driver (just make sure it has this option).

If you can't use 56kb, you could use one of the slower DDS speeds,
but may not save any $s. If you must, buy inexpensive sync TDMs for
about $1500 each to break up the 56 into 4 or maybe 6 lower speed
lines. For a tad more $, you may even be able to do some compressed
voice or other things over the TDM box.

On the other hand, with 56kb in place, you may NOT want to use a
statmux for terminal traffic (you were doing statmuxing, weren't
you?), but instead use low end Enet bridges (<$2k each end) and
remote terminal servers that speak both LAT and TCP/IP, if they
will give you what you want. Stat Muxes may not be dying quite as
fast as analog modems, but remote terminal servers is a very NICE
way to go. Other stuff can use the remote Enet, too.

If you do find good 19.2 sync modems at less than 2k, I would LOVE
to know. On the other hand, the coming crop of v.32bis modems will
include 2w/4w leased with 2w dialup, too, and will go 14.4 sync at
attractive prices. Of course that same modem used for async may
go MUCH faster if used with v.42bis, but you need a SYNC modem.