[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit T2500 problem with internal 2400 modem

todd@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) (09/03/90)

Has anyone else had problems dialing into a Telebit T2500 with PC internal
2400 baud modems? Here's my problem. I can dial into my Interactive UNIX
2.2 system equipped with two T2500 modems with a variety of other high and
low speed modems (T2500, T1000, Hayes 1200, Worldport 1200, Everex Evercom
24, and Everex 24+) with and without MNP 5. However, if I try to dial into
the T2500 with an internal 2400 bps modem (in this case and Everex Internal
24+ or a Toshiba T5100 2400bps internal modem), I cannot get a connection.
The T2500 just cycles through the various protocols and I never get a sync.
I've tried a variety of workarounds: adding ",,,," to the end of the phone
number (e.g., ATDT 123-4567,,,,), turning off MNP, etc.

Oddly enough, if I step the PC internal modem (either the Everex or the
Toshiba) down to 1200 baud, i can lock in and get into the T2500 and then
login to my UNIX box.

It is pretty important for me to be able to have a variety of low speed
modems that can get into my UNIX box with T2500 modems. Any fixes out
there? Do I need to dump my Telebit modems and buy US Robotics? ...todd
--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii
UUCP:		{uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!todd

todd@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) (09/05/90)

In article <9197@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> todd@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>Has anyone else had problems dialing into a Telebit T2500 with PC internal
>2400 baud modems? Here's my problem. I can dial into my Interactive UNIX
>2.2 system equipped with two T2500 modems with a variety of other high and
>low speed modems (T2500, T1000, Hayes 1200, Worldport 1200, Everex Evercom
>24, and Everex 24+) with and without MNP 5. However, if I try to dial into
>the T2500 with an internal 2400 bps modem (in this case and Everex Internal
>24+ or a Toshiba T5100 2400bps internal modem), I cannot get a connection.
>The T2500 just cycles through the various protocols and I never get a sync.
>I've tried a variety of workarounds: adding ",,,," to the end of the phone
>number (e.g., ATDT 123-4567,,,,), turning off MNP, etc.

To followup on my own question... I called Telebit tech support this
morning. A tech support staff person called back a few minutes ago and we
spent some time verifying that the Toshiba laptop internal 2400 modem does
indeed fail to connect with a T2500 at 2400 baud. The only way we could get
a connect was to force the T2500 to stay at 2400bps (S50=3, S51=2). If the
T2500 is set to autobaud, no connect. Again, this seems to be unique to the
internal 2400 modems from Toshiba and Everex. External 2400 and 1200bps
modems seem to work fine with the T2500.

Telebit is looking into this...todd

--

kevinc@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Kevin E Cosgrove) (09/07/90)

In article <9209@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> todd@uhccux.UUCP (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>To followup on my own question... I called Telebit tech support this
>morning. A tech support staff person called back a few minutes ago and we
>spent some time verifying that the Toshiba laptop internal 2400 modem does
>indeed fail to connect with a T2500 at 2400 baud. The only way we could get
>a connect was to force the T2500 to stay at 2400bps (S50=3, S51=2). If the
>T2500 is set to autobaud, no connect. Again, this seems to be unique to the
>internal 2400 modems from Toshiba and Everex. External 2400 and 1200bps
>modems seem to work fine with the T2500.

I've been following the story on this because I use an Everex Evercom-24
to call UUCP neighbors of mine; they run Telebit modems.  Everything
will run fine for a week or so at a time for a given neighbor.  But
every so often the Everex won't recognize the Telebit's carrier signal.
Also every so often the Telebit won't autobaud down (around?) to 2400.

These two experiences sound like they could be related.  Any guesses?

        Kevin Cosgrove          bucket.UUCP!cathouse!kevinc
        OSU EE Senior           tektronix!tessi!bucket!cathouse!kevinc
        (503)-297-6067          kevinc%cathouse.uucp@bucket.UUCP

rmg@ultra.com (Rich Geiger) (09/07/90)

In <9209@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> todd@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd
Ogasawara) writes:
>In article <9197@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> todd@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu
>(Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>>Has anyone else had problems dialing into a Telebit T2500 with PC internal
>>2400 baud modems?

>Again, this seems to be unique to the internal 2400 modems from
>Toshiba and Everex. External 2400 and 1200bps modems seem to work
>fine with the T2500.

>Telebit is looking into this...todd

A user at our site also had similar problems coming into our T2500
with an externel Everex Evercom 24+. He contacted Everex, who sent
them an updated PROM which fixed the problem. I don't know whether
this can be taken as evidence that it is Everex (rather than Telebit)
who was out of spec with regard to the CCIT standard dictating how
connect speed negotiaion is supposed to be done.

We have also seen a couple of other 2400baud modems that can't handle
connecting to Telebits reliably.

I am keeping a list for users at out site, who have a variety of
modems they use to call our T2500's with, of what is known to work
properly and what isn't. I will post it in a separate posting, in case
it's useful to anybody else out there.

--
 - Rich Geiger
Ultra Network Technologies / 101 Daggett Drive / San Jose CA 95134

In <1990Sep7.152529.18088@ultra.com> I wrote:

>A user at our site also had similar problems coming into our T2500
>with an externel Everex Evercom 24+. He contacted Everex, who sent
>them an updated PROM which fixed the problem. I don't know whether
>this can be taken as evidence that it is Everex (rather than Telebit)
>who was out of spec with regard to the CCIT standard dictating how
>connect speed negotiaion is supposed to be done.

Correction: I now recall that this was an internal Everex.
--

terry@spcvxa.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr) (09/08/90)

In article <1990Sep7.152529.18088@ultra.com>, rmg@ultra.com (Rich Geiger) writes:
> A user at our site also had similar problems coming into our T2500
> with an externel Everex Evercom 24+. He contacted Everex, who sent
> them an updated PROM which fixed the problem. I don't know whether
> this can be taken as evidence that it is Everex (rather than Telebit)
> who was out of spec with regard to the CCIT standard dictating how
> connect speed negotiaion is supposed to be done.

  Yup, the Evercom 24+ modems (both internal and external) used to have a
problem where `unusual' answer tones would confuse them. The 4 pips in the
V.32 answer sequence would do it, and I suppose PEP would as well. The
symptom is that when calling such a modem from an Evercom 24+, you'd hear
the ring, hear the far-end modem pick up, and right after the first V.32
pip you'd get a NO CARRIER on the Evercom 24+.

  This was fixed quite some time ago by a PROM upgrade (27128, I believe).
The FAX card also had the same problem, I don't know if the upgrade for
that one ever made it out (I assume it did, and was just delayed). This
should be a free upgrade from Everex for small numbers of modems. If you
have more than a few (2-3), they may either ask for the old chips back, or
suggest you copy them locally if you have the facility to do so.

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381

Disclaimer: We're an Everex distributor, but only for internal use. The
policies I stated above were Everex's policies at the time I found the
problem; contact Everex technical support for the latest information.

RAF@CU.NIH.GOV ("Roger Fajman") (09/08/90)

I have also had trouble with the Toshiba 2400 bps internal modem
connecting at 2400 bps with the USR Dual Standard operating with V.32
answer tones.  On the advice of USR I set S28=0, which minimizes the
length of the V.32 answer tones.  This solved the problem for the
Toshiba modem, but other brands (including Everex) still have problems.
They also have trouble connecting to a MultiTech V.32 modem at 2400
bps, so I suspect that these modems don't react well to the V.32 answer
tones.

By the way, Toshiba technical support was no help at all, in spite of
the fact that they use a USR Dual Standard themselves on their BBS.
This all occurred in January or February of this year.

todd@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) (09/09/90)

In article <6904@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM> kevinc@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Kevin E Cosgrove) writes:
>I've been following the story on this because I use an Everex Evercom-24
>to call UUCP neighbors of mine; they run Telebit modems.  Everything
>will run fine for a week or so at a time for a given neighbor.  But
>every so often the Everex won't recognize the Telebit's carrier signal.
>Also every so often the Telebit won't autobaud down (around?) to 2400.
>
>These two experiences sound like they could be related.  Any guesses?

I think there was some discussion related to this problem not too long ago
that was very helpful to me in dealing with problems I had when using
recent model external Everex modems to dial into T2500 modems. It looks
like the more recent Everex modems (old ones do not have this problem) are
"too smart for their own good" and get "confused" by the initial non-PEP
T2500 tones. The collective suggestion of the net was to place an
electronic ear muff on the Everex for a few seconds after connect to
prevent this 'confusion'. The technique is to simply use the "," after
dialing. E.g.,

	ATDT 123-4567,,,,

I've found that using a 6 (3 commas) to 10 (5 commas) second delay does the
trick...todd
--

afc@shibaya.lonestar.org (Augustine Cano) (09/09/90)

In article <9209@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> todd@uhccux.UUCP (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>In article <9197@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> todd@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>>Has anyone else had problems dialing into a Telebit T2500 with PC internal
>>2400 baud modems? Here's my problem. I can dial into my Interactive UNIX
>>2.2 system equipped with two T2500 modems with a variety of other high and
>>low speed modems (T2500, T1000, Hayes 1200, Worldport 1200, Everex Evercom
>>24, and Everex 24+) with and without MNP 5. However, if I try to dial into
>>the T2500 with an internal 2400 bps modem (in this case and Everex Internal
>>24+ or a Toshiba T5100 2400bps internal modem), I cannot get a connection.
>>The T2500 just cycles through the various protocols and I never get a sync.
>>I've tried a variety of workarounds: adding ",,,," to the end of the phone
>>number (e.g., ATDT 123-4567,,,,), turning off MNP, etc.
>
>To followup on my own question... I called Telebit tech support this
>morning. A tech support staff person called back a few minutes ago and we
>spent some time verifying that the Toshiba laptop internal 2400 modem does
>indeed fail to connect with a T2500 at 2400 baud. The only way we could get
>a connect was to force the T2500 to stay at 2400bps (S50=3, S51=2). If the
>T2500 is set to autobaud, no connect. Again, this seems to be unique to the
>internal 2400 modems from Toshiba and Everex. External 2400 and 1200bps
>modems seem to work fine with the T2500.
>
>Telebit is looking into this...todd

Good! I hope they fix whatever it is.  It has been known for a while (and
I just experienced it) that telebits (trailblazers for sure, I don't know
about the others) will not talk to the OBM (on board modem) in the AT&T
Unix pc (3b1 & 7300) if the interface speed is locked.  If you let the
interface speed follow the modem speed, there is no problem.

Augustine Cano		afc@shibaya.lonestar.org

braun@dri.com (Kral) (09/10/90)

(Kevin E Cosgrove) writes:
:
:I've been following the story on this because I use an Everex Evercom-24
:to call UUCP neighbors of mine; they run Telebit modems.  Everything
:will run fine for a week or so at a time for a given neighbor.  But
:every so often the Everex won't recognize the Telebit's carrier signal.
:Also every so often the Telebit won't autobaud down (around?) to 2400.
:
:These two experiences sound like they could be related.  Any guesses?
:

Just to add to the databank: We had to dump our Everex 24e's because they
simply couldn't connect with the TB+s and T2500s.  I don't know whose 'fault'
it is.  Also: Periodically, the 24e's would go to 1200 baud and stay there.  We
had to cycle power to reset.

FYI.

--
kral * 408/647-6112 *               ...!uunet!drivax!braun * braun@dri.com
What a man desires to know is *that*. But his means of knowing is *this*.

heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com (09/11/90)

In article <6904@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM> kevinc@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Kevin E Cosgrove) writes:

>I've been following the story on this because I use an Everex Evercom-24
>to call UUCP neighbors of mine; they run Telebit modems.  Everything
>will run fine for a week or so at a time for a given neighbor.  But
>every so often the Everex won't recognize the Telebit's carrier signal.
>Also every so often the Telebit won't autobaud down (around?) to 2400.

My Franklin Telecom 2400 seems to be completely unable to understand
Telebit carriers.  When I try to call one, I get the "shhhhhhh", which
continues for whatever the timeout period is, then that's it.

I *think* my Practical Peripherals 2400 used to work, although I can't
tell now, because that modem seems to have died (it doesn't recognize
a dial tone).

--
Work:    heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com
	 {decuac,necntc,uunet}!rayssd!tdw201!heiser

jeh@dcs.simpact.com (09/13/90)

I assume that all of these Telebit modems which people are having trouble
connecting to with Everex, etc., 2400 bps modems are configured normally --
that is, they answer with the PEP (Telebit proprietary mode) tones first.

One way to work around these troubles is to configure the Telebit with
S92=1, which makes it send the PEP tones last when it answers.  A Telebit
configured this way should also be set to S7=90 or so.  S7 is the "wait
for carrier time (seconds)" parameter, and the default of 40 seconds is
often not enough to get through the whole 2400/1200/300/PEP sequence if
the calling modem wants to talk PEP.

The downside of this is that if a Telebit modem is calling another Telebit
modem, and the answering modem is set S92=1, and the calling modem wants to
talk PEP (which it normally would), the calling modem must be set to S50=255.
S50 controls the transmission mode, and 255 forces PEP mode.  The default is
S50=0, which is auto speed determination.  If the calling modem is left at the
default of S50=0, and the answering modem answers with 2400 bps tones first,
the calling modem will not wait through the search sequence just in case there
are PEP tones at the end; it will hook up at 2400 bps, which probably isn't
what you want.  This requires the calling system to be able to send
S50=255 to the outgoing modem before giving it the dial command, since
you normally don't want your TB modems set to S50=255 by default.

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Chair, VMSnet [DECUS uucp] and Internals Working Groups, DECUS VAX Systems SIG
Internet:  jeh@dcs.simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh

ralphs@halcyon.wa.com (Ralph Sims) (09/13/90)

jeh@dcs.simpact.com writes:

> that is, they answer with the PEP (Telebit proprietary mode) tones first.

> One way to work around these troubles is to configure the Telebit with
> S92=1, which makes it send the PEP tones last when it answers.  A Telebit

> The downside of this is that if a Telebit modem is calling another Telebit
> modem, and the answering modem is set S92=1, and the calling modem wants to
> talk PEP (which it normally would), the calling modem must be set to S50=255.

Another downside is that I bought my Telebit for speed in transferring files
over toll lines.  This would add approximately 20 seconds (it may be a little
less) to the connect time.  Why should I sacrifice the features I purchased
the modem for to satisfy those which have problems?  I'm trying to be somewhat
the Devil's Advocate here--no matter what you do, not everyone will be happy.

--
  Remember when dethroning idols to save the pedestals--they may come
  in handy...

rmg@ultra.com (Rich Geiger) (09/13/90)

In <1610.26ee582b@dcs.simpact.com> jeh@dcs.simpact.com writes:

>I assume that all of these Telebit modems which people are having trouble
>connecting to with Everex, etc., 2400 bps modems are configured normally --
>that is, they answer with the PEP (Telebit proprietary mode) tones first.

No, actually, our T2500s are configured to put PEP last. The problem
seems to arise from the V.32 tones. (Telebit models that only support
PEP (and not V.32) for "fast" connections wouldn't present these, so
the problems we have been talking about wouldn't happen with them.)

--

todd@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) (09/14/90)

In article <1610.26ee582b@dcs.simpact.com> jeh@dcs.simpact.com writes:
>I assume that all of these Telebit modems which people are having trouble
>connecting to with Everex, etc., 2400 bps modems are configured normally --
>that is, they answer with the PEP (Telebit proprietary mode) tones first.

Nope... From what I can tell, all the other people reporting problems like
mine have PEP at the end as I do. Please note that other 1200/2400 modems
dial in just fine. We are having a brand specific problem that Telebit
confirmed for me.

--

jeh@dcs.simpact.com (09/15/90)

In article <59wFP1w163w@halcyon.wa.com>, ralphs@halcyon.wa.com (Ralph Sims)
 writes:
> Another downside [of configuring a Telebit to answer with PEP tones last]
> is that I bought my Telebit for speed in transferring files
> over toll lines.  This would add approximately 20 seconds (it may be a little
> less) to the connect time.

Well, one can argue that at least with AT&T you are paying for the call in
chunks of a minute anyway.  (And with alternate l-d services you stand a good
chance of not being able to use PEP mode at all -- according to recent
discussions here.)

> I'm trying to be somewhat
> the Devil's Advocate here--no matter what you do, not everyone will be happy.

Indeed.  It's too bad that the initial PEP tones have such a great likelihood
of annoying 2400 bps modems.