[comp.dcom.modems] Modem Speed

dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) (08/28/90)

In <sVRio1w162w@kk4fs.UUCP> genesis@kk4fs.UUCP (Genesis) writes:
>Is it possible to push a 2400 baud modem to 4800 without doing any damage?If
>so,what must i do to do this?THANKS!

There are three areas where you might wish to change the bps rate of your
transmissions.  Each has its own problems and pitfalls.

1.  CPU -> modem
     This is the digital link from the computer to the modem.  (This may not
     be relevant if you have an internal modem.)  If you send characters too
     fast here, the modem will not be able to handle each one before the next
     arrives.  A Hayes-type modem uses the "AT" at the front of a command to
     determine the rate at which you are sending to it--in the process, it
     may not be able to do anything else with them.  In order to detect the
     speed you are using, it must sample the line at some high frequency; the
     exact frequency used imposes a physical maximum detectable rate.  The
     firmware in the modem imposes a logical maximum configurable rate--which
     is probably 2400 in this case...

2.  modem <-> modem
     This is the analog link between your modem and the other modem, probably
     over a telephone line.  At higher baud rates, signals are more likely to
     be lost due to noise.  Most 1200, 2400 and above modems actually use
     600 baud in each direction, and use the phase of the signal (okay; 9600
     gets more complicated...) to encode multiple bits per baud.  Since you
     probably don't want to tinker with the phase encoding/decoding logic in
     the modems, your alternative is to switch states more often.  2400 bps
     modems are already at about 80% of the reliable baud rate for voice-grade
     lines, so switching states twice as often means that you're likely to
     encounter noise bursts big enough to wipe out entire groups of bits.  No
     good.

3.  modem -> CPU
     This is the digital link back from the modem to your CPU.  At some low
     level, your code that talks to the serial port has to be able to grab
     characters as fast as the modem can supply them.  This is subject to a
     lot of variables, but it *can* be a non-trivial problem, especially
     above 2400 bps, which you should be prepared to tackle.  Again, the
     modem components (especially firmware) may impose a maximum here.

Conclusion:
     Assuming that you can get around logical conditions imposed by the modem
firmware, you're likely to be running up against constraints imposed by the
physical universe.  It's not likely to be worth the effort; it's definitely
not going to stand comparison against buy 9600 bps modems.
                                                      Dave

tronix@polari.UUCP (David Daniel) (08/29/90)

[]There are three areas where you might wish to change the bps rate of your
                                                           ^^^ ^^^^
   and...

[]     over a telephone line.  At higher baud rates, signals are more likely to
                                         ^^^^ ^^^^^

are two completely different critters, not interchangeable terms. Baud refers to
how often the analog signal ocillates during transmission, named after the
a French guy - Baudot (or some such french splling). Bps is bits per second.
If memory serves, and it probably doesn't, 1 baud represents roughly 2.xx bits.

[]     be lost due to noise.  Most 1200, 2400 and above modems actually use
[]     600 baud in each direction, and use the phase of the signal (okay; 9600

       ^^^ ^^^^

That's actually 1200+ bps. Baud rates BTW, are obsolete. If you see a modern
modem rated at 2400, the speed is measured in bps.

[]     Assuming that you can get around logical conditions imposed by the modem
[]firmware, you're likely to be running up against constraints imposed by the
[]physical universe.  It's not likely to be worth the effort; it's definitely
[]not going to stand comparison against buy 9600 bps modems.

In other words, the answer is no, unless you use built it transfer protocols -
error correction, data compression or ideally a combination of both to increase
through-put.
--
David Daniel (The man with no disclaimer)  tronix@polari.wa.com
"Beware the Truth. If you find a Truth it can demand that you make painful

conib@gvgpvd.GVG.TEK.COM (Coni Britten) (08/30/90)

In article <2447@polari.UUCP> tronix@polari.WA.COM (David Daniel) writes:

>[]There are three areas where you might wish to change the bps rate of your
>                                                           ^^^ ^^^^
>   and...
>
>[]     over a telephone line.  At higher baud rates, signals are more likely to
>                                         ^^^^ ^^^^^
>
>are two completely different critters, not interchangeable terms. Baud refers to
>how often the analog signal ocillates during transmission, named after the
>a French guy - Baudot (or some such french splling). Bps is bits per second.
>If memory serves, and it probably doesn't, 1 baud represents roughly 2.xx bits.

I've found one published definition of "baud"; it's in my Webster's Collegiate:

	a variable unit of data transmission speed usu. equal to one bit per
	second

So ... they are not necessarily two *completely* different critters.  They can
in fact be interchangable.  And in my experience (13 years in engineering), in
common practice this is true!  So true, in fact, that even Webster defines it
as "usually" true, and gives no other alternative ratio.

Of course, Webster is not exactly the last word in scientific definitions, but
it does define "common usage".

Coni Britten
   conib@gvgpvd.GVG.TEK.COM
           -or-
   ... ucbvax!tektronix!gvgpsa!gvgpvd!conib

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (08/30/90)

    A baud is an analog unit, representing any number of bits.
Traditionally, for slow modems, there is a one-to-one correspondence.
For higher speed modems (2400), this is no longer the case.

    To increase your baud rate, you need a corresponding increase in you
bandwidth - normal phone lines will not pass much over 1200 baud.  In
order to increase your data thruput, you have to encode more bits in a
given baud.  2400 bit per second modems actually run at 1200 baud, but
use 4 different baud to represent four possible states.

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

                96.37% of all statistics are made up.

hes@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Henry E. Schaffer) (08/30/90)

In article <1664@gvgpvd.GVG.TEK.COM> conib@gvgpvd.GVG.TEK.COM (Coni Britten) writes:
>In article <2447@polari.UUCP> tronix@polari.WA.COM (David Daniel) writes:
> ... [bit per second and baud]
>>are two completely different critters, not interchangeable terms. ...
>>If memory serves, and it probably doesn't, 1 baud represents roughly 2.xx bits.
>I've found one published definition of "baud"; it's in my Webster's Collegiate:
>
>	a variable unit of data transmission speed usu. equal to one bit per
>	second
>
>So ... they are not necessarily two *completely* different critters.  They can
>in fact be interchangable.  And in my experience (13 years in engineering), in
>common practice this is true!  So true, in fact, that even Webster defines it
>as "usually" true, and gives no other alternative ratio.

  Dictionary definitions (are supposed to) reflect usage.  Back in the
days of the popular Bell 103 and compatible modems which used FSK for
speeds in the 110 - 300 range - the bps and baud rating were numerically
the same (i.e., 1 bps = 1 baud) and people got into the habit of using
the two interchangeably, even though their engineering/scientific
definitions were not the same.  These days most modems are faster than
300 bps and handle multiple bps per baud, but still the terms are
often used interchangeably - so let me reword Webster's definition

   a variable unit of data transmission speed usu. incorrectly considered
   equal to one bit per second

--henry schaffer  n c state univ

dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) (09/01/90)

In <2447@polari.UUCP> tronix@polari.UUCP (David Daniel) writes:
{using [] where he quotes me}
>[] ... bps ... baud rates
>are two completely different critters, not interchangeable terms. Baud refers to
>how often the analog signal ocillates during transmission, named after the
>a French guy - Baudot (or some such french splling). Bps is bits per second.
>If memory serves, and it probably doesn't, 1 baud represents roughly 2.xx bits.

     You lose, turkey.  While you've got the definitions of bps and baud rate
correct (boy, what a brain-o!), you (a) missed the point that in fact I was
carefully using each correctly where that was what I was talking about, and
(b) 1 baud is essentially 1 bps at low speeds; I was briefly recounting *why*
1 baud = 2 bps *at*1200*bps*using*Bell*212*or*v.22 and 1 baud = 4 bps using
v.22 bis (2400 bps).  If you'd read what I wrote, your memory wouldn't *have*
to serve!

>[]     be lost due to noise.  Most 1200, 2400 and above modems actually use
>[]     600 baud in each direction, and use the phase of the signal (okay; 9600

>       ^^^ ^^^^

>That's actually 1200+ bps. Baud rates BTW, are obsolete. If you see a modern
>modem rated at 2400, the speed is measured in bps.

     That's 1200 bps, 2400 bps, or whatever the modem is rated for.  RTFP!
Since you know what a baud is, you also *know* that it is no more obsolete than
any other unit of measurement:  did "Megahertz" become obsolete when "MIPS"
were invented?  No, they measure related things in different ways, just like
baud and bps do.  (You'll notice that in the quote I refer to the numerical
rating of the modems but *not* to the units; you'll sometimes see them labelled
"bps", sometimes "baud", and sometimes just with the number.  And since I then
specify that these really use 600 baud (again properly using the term as it is
defined!), then any reasonably bright reader would say:  "Gee, if 2400 bps
modems really use 600 baud, then I guess that it's incorrect to label them
as 2400 *baud*."  The point certainly doesn't need to be laboured--and I don't
need to be flamed for it!

>[]     Assuming that you can get around logical conditions imposed by the modem
>[]firmware, you're likely to be running up against constraints imposed by the
>[]physical universe.  It's not likely to be worth the effort; it's definitely
>[]not going to stand comparison against buy 9600 bps modems.

>In other words, the answer is no, unless you use built it transfer protocols -
>error correction, data compression or ideally a combination of both to increase
>through-put.

No, is indeed the answer.  The question, though, was phrased in terms of
increasing the bps rate and not in terms of increasing the throughput.  Perhaps
Daniel did a better job than I did of reading the original poster's mind on
this point.
                                           Dave

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) (09/01/90)

hes@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Henry E. Schaffer) writes:

>These days most modems are faster than
>300 bps and handle multiple bps per baud, but still the terms are
>often used interchangeably - so let me reword Webster's definition

>   a variable unit of data transmission speed usu. incorrectly considered
>   equal to one bit per second

Which is illustrated perfectly by the Telebit TrailBlazer running in PEP
mode which - as far as I remember - runs at just 7 baud.
So here, you have a 1 baud ~ 2000 bit relation.

--
Kim F. Storm  <storm@texas.dk>		No news is good news,
Texas Instruments A/S, Denmark		  but nn is better!

A Trailblazer gets 14000 bps with 6 bauds per channel. Both of these
measurements are relevent.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

jon@savant.uucp (Jon Gefaell) (09/04/90)

In article <659@texas.dk> storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>hes@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Henry E. Schaffer) writes:
>
>>These days most modems are faster than
>>300 bps and handle multiple bps per baud, but still the terms are
>>often used interchangeably - so let me reword Webster's definition
>
>>   a variable unit of data transmission speed usu. incorrectly considered
>>   equal to one bit per second
>
>Which is illustrated perfectly by the Telebit TrailBlazer running in PEP
>mode which - as far as I remember - runs at just 7 baud.
>So here, you have a 1 baud ~ 2000 bit relation.

Will misinformation never cease? I'll add to it now:

The PEP method uses up to 511 7Hz 'channels' each having one baud. Each
channel is 'tested' to determine whether that baud is stable enough to
encode 2, 4 or 6 bits (FSK, PSK, QPSK respectively)

Have I helped muddy things up? (i.e. set me strayt on where I've goofed)
--
+----------- Domain? DOMAIN? We Don't Need No Steeeenkin' Domain! -----------+
|I wish I had something interesting to put in my .signature file, but I don't|

jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard) (09/05/90)

In article <1990Sep4.150259.12379@savant.uucp> jon@savant.uucp (Jon Gefaell) writes:
>In article <659@texas.dk> storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>>hes@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Henry E. Schaffer) writes:
...lots of overly pedantic BS.

ARRRRRGGGGGH!!!!!!!!!!

Who gives a fuzzy rat's posterior how many bauds in the absolutely correct,
theoretical sense a modem runs???? The _only_ important measure - unless you're
designing the damned things - is how fast it gets data from point A to point B.
Anything else is trivia, and arguing about bauds vs. BPS is sheer pedantry.
--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.

fsb@stsim.ocs.com (Steve Brailsford) (09/06/90)

I don't know if this is anything like what is being discussed, I just
picked up this group, but I am looking into getting a 9600 modem and
need some advice on what kind to get and what to look for.  I seem to
see that the V.32 seems to be a general standard for that rate, is this
true?  Should I bother with any of the other standards that might also
come with that?  I also hear about a 19.2K modem called Trailblazer,
or is that some kind of protocal?  I have seen some articles about how
you can get 19.2K from 9600 V.32bis modems.  Do these modems require
leased lines, or is an ordinary phone line ok?  Thanks for any help
you can give me here.

	Steve Brailsford >>> uunet!oscmd!stsim!fsb

  There are currently three major players in the 9600 and up modem
protocol game. The standard is V.32, but it's not as widely used as the
others. If you are buying modeems for both ends you don't care.

  PEP protocol (Trailblazer) offers higher throughput than the line
speed for some protocols, notably uucp and (I believe) xmodem and
kermit. The packet envelope is stripped at the sending end and
reconstructed at the other end. Only the data flows, and throughput can
be 20-40% faster.

  The standard used by many ham radio and CP/M systems is (the HST US
Robotics). I'm not sure what this buys you other than compatibility.
That's not saying something bad, I just don't have a lot of time on
these modems.

  V.42 is a data compression scheme, and it may be effected by the
recent UNISYS patent on data compression. The last word I heard was that
software compression would be ignored, hardware compression (like a
modem) would be licensed.

  If I were buying modems I'd go Telebit T2500, with PEP and V.32.

    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

esmith@goofy.apple.com (Eric Smith) (09/07/90)

In article <1990Sep4.150259.12379@savant.uucp> jon@savant.uucp (Jon Gefaell) writes:

>   Will misinformation never cease? I'll add to it now:
>
>   The PEP method uses up to 511 7Hz 'channels' each having one baud. Each
>   channel is 'tested' to determine whether that baud is stable enough to
>   encode 2, 4 or 6 bits (FSK, PSK, QPSK respectively)

Yes, misinformation will never cease.  The 511 channels are each
approximately 7 baud.  If they were 1 baud, the highest bit rate
thoretically possible with the modem would be 3066 bps.  At 7 baud each,
the maximum is 21462, of which some is lost since not all carriers will
actually be able to encode 6 bits/baud, and some is lost due to packetizing
and error handling.

--
Eric L. Smith      Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those
esmith@apple.com   of my employer, friends, family, computer, or even me!  :-)

tnixon@hayes.uucp (Toby Nixon) (09/07/90)

In article <2495@crdos1.crd.ge.COM>, davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm
E Davidsen Jr) writes:

>   There are currently three major players in the 9600 and up modem
> protocol game. The standard is V.32, but it's not as widely used as the
> others. If you are buying modeems for both ends you don't care.

V.32 is much more widely used that either Trailblazer or HST, if you
consider the entire marketplace and not certain limited
applications.  V.32 modems are available from virtually all major
modem manufacturers, and have the distinct advantage of running all
unix-related protocols with no need for strange settings or protocol
"spoofing".

>   PEP protocol (Trailblazer) offers higher throughput than the line
> speed for some protocols, notably uucp and (I believe) xmodem and
> kermit. The packet envelope is stripped at the sending end and
> reconstructed at the other end. Only the data flows, and throughput can
> be 20-40% faster.

All error-control modems strip the start and stop bits from async
characters, so they'll all experience a 25% speed increase.  The
other "increase" you mention is due to protocol "spoofing" in the
Trailblazer.  But V.32 modems don't need to do this, because they're
full duplex to start with; the Trailblazer (and other multicarrier
and assymetrical modems) need to do it to make up for the negative
impact on protocol performance caused by the basically half-duplex
nature of their modulation schemes.

>   The standard used by many ham radio and CP/M systems is (the HST US
> Robotics). I'm not sure what this buys you other than compatibility.
> That's not saying something bad, I just don't have a lot of time on
> these modems.

The HST is "popular" primarily because USRobotics practically gave
them away ("sold" them for less than manufacturing costs) to BBS
sysops all over the country.  Telebit did basically the same thing
with Trailblazer modems a few years ago, which accounts for their
"acceptance" in the unix community.  The HST, like the Trailblazer,
is OK for some applications like file transfer, but due to the
extremely slow turnaround time is unacceptable for other
applications.

>   V.42 is a data compression scheme, and it may be effected by the
> recent UNISYS patent on data compression. The last word I heard was that
> software compression would be ignored, hardware compression (like a
> modem) would be licensed.

V.42 is the international standard for error control in modems,
defining two protocols: the primary protocol, LAPM, and an
"alternative protocol" for backward compatibility with MNP2-4
modems.  You may be thinking of V.42bis, which is the international
standard for data compression in modems.  It is based on Lempel-Ziv
compression, and two companies, Unisys and IBM, claim that patents
issued to them apply to the LZ compression used in modem
applications; British Telecom also claims that patents for which
they have filed for but that have not yet been issued will also
apply to V.42bis modems.

>   If I were buying modems I'd go Telebit T2500, with PEP and V.32.

One should select a modem based on, among other things, what the
people use that one intends to call.  But you're quite right in
preferring a modem with V.32 over one with only proprietary
high-speed protocols, since V.32 is the international standard and
very quickly gaining in worldwide acceptance.

	-- Toby

Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer     Fax:    +1-404-441-1213  Telex: 6502670805
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc.  Voice:  +1-404-449-8791  CIS:    70271,404
Norcross, Georgia, USA             BBS:    +1-404-446-6336  MCI:       TNIXON
                                   Telemail: T.NIXON/HAYES  AT&T:     !tnixon
UUCP:   ...!uunet!hayes!tnixon     Internet:        hayes!tnixon@uunet.uu.net
MHS:    C=US / AD=ATTMAIL / PN=TOBY_L_NIXON / DD=TNIXON

chris@alderan.uucp (Christoph Splittgerber) (09/08/90)

In article <887@stsim.ocs.com> fsb@stsim.ocs.com (Steve Brailsford) writes:

[Text deleted]
>need some advice on what kind to get and what to look for.  I seem to
>see that the V.32 seems to be a general standard for that rate, is this
>true?  Should I bother with any of the other standards that might also
>come with that?  I also hear about a 19.2K modem called Trailblazer,
[Text deleted]

While the V.32 is the more general standard for that rates, the Trailblazers
seem to become (to be) the de facto standard in the uucp-world. The
Trailblazers are quite a bit faster, especially when you transmit
compressed data (e.g. netnews) because the MNP-5 compression (used with V.32)
is quite useless with precompressed data or might even expand it.
If you worry about standards, I think the "Telebit Trailblazer T2500"
is a good solution Steve, because it supports them "all":
PEP, V.32, V.25, V.22bis, V.22, V.21, V.23, Bell-103, Bell-212.

Christoph

m1comm01@spacm1.uucp (Bob Straschewski) (09/17/90)

In article <887@stsim.ocs.com>, fsb@stsim.ocs.com (Steve Brailsford) writes:
> I don't know if this is anything like what is being discussed, I just
> picked up this group, but I am looking into getting a 9600 modem and
> need some advice on what kind to get and what to look for.  I seem to
> see that the V.32 seems to be a general standard for that rate, is this
> true?  Should I bother with any of the other standards that might also
> come with that?  I also hear about a 19.2K modem called Trailblazer,
> or is that some kind of protocol?  I have seen some articles about how
> you can get 19.2K from 9600 V.32bis modems.  Do these modems require
> leased lines, or is an ordinary phone line ok?  Thanks for any help
> you can give me here.
>
> 	Steve Brailsford >>> uunet!oscmd!stsim!fsb
For dialup support from home for our rpogramming staff, we are using
a bunch of MICROCOM 9624Cs.  These babys do "fake" 9600, and work really
well.  Very tough too.

 Bob Ski..................

rah@public.BTR.COM (Richard A Hyde rah@btr.com) (09/18/90)

>In article <887@stsim.ocs.com>, fsb@stsim.ocs.com (Steve Brailsford) writes:
>> I don't know if this is anything like what is being discussed, I just
>> picked up this group, but I am looking into getting a 9600 modem and
>> need some advice on what kind to get and what to look for.  I seem to
>> see that the V.32 seems to be a general standard for that rate, is this
>> true?  Should I bother with any of the other standards that might also
>> come with that?  I also hear about a 19.2K modem called Trailblazer,
>> or is that some kind of protocol?  I have seen some articles about how
>> you can get 19.2K from 9600 V.32bis modems.

I feel that it is very important to select a V.32 COMPLIANT modem if you
are considering purchasing a 9.6 modem.  COMPLIANT means IS, compatible
means is LIKE.  There is a world if difference.  V.32 compliant modems
will talk to other manufacturers V.32 compliant modems.  Compatible modems
will only talk to modems made by the same manufacturer.  The major networks
(commercial ones, anyway) are standardizing on V.32 with various levels of
MNP.  Accunet (whom I don't work for), is installing V.32 MNP 9 modems at
all of their 9.6 nodes.

Modems like the Telebit T2500 (which I like) will communicate with other
V.32 compliant modems at 9600 bps.  They will achieve 19.2 only with other
Telebit modems.  V.42 is supposed to create >9.6 speeds (using compression)
among different manufacturers modems, but it doesn't appear to be reality
quite yet.

I use a Racal-Vadic 9632VP modem which also seems fairly robust, but I under-
stand it has problems in MNP mode.  Multi-Tech Multi modems also seem
clean and easy to operate.  Since I manage a datacom tech support team, this
translates to "few complaints".  You WILL have to read the manual of
whatever modem you decide to buy, and get some help in configuring it to
your needs.  Factory configuration never quite seems to work...

When you buy a modem, drop me a line if you have any questions...

-Rick-

|   Richard Hyde  |  RaH@btr.com  |        I don't need a disclaimer         |