[comp.dcom.modems] multitasking on AT?

BAUGHMANKR@CONRAD.APPSTATE.EDU (09/14/90)

Greetings All:

I have an AT clone and would love to be able to do other tasks on my machine
while downloading large files.

Is this possible short of buying a 386SX?

Are there any software programs that will allow you to download in the
background?

Thanks in advance,

Kinney Baughman

smithju@motcid.UUCP (Justin A. Smith) (09/19/90)

BAUGHMANKR@CONRAD.APPSTATE.EDU writes:

>Is this possible short of buying a 386SX?

yes

>Are there any software programs that will allow you to download in the
>background?

yes

>Thanks in advance,

No problem

>Kinney Baughman

OK, I suppose you would like to know how :-)

I have tried Desqview, it does work on a 286, but you must stop it from swapping
out the comms package. This is not a very good solution as theres not much
memory  left in the base 640K for other applications with desqview and a
comms package running.

However another way that i use is to use PCMIX, its a PD packagethat allows
up to 3 DOS programs to multi task. Its really easy to setup, and i can download
with my 2400 baud modem and not see a reduction in CPS, whils i use DOS in
another window. I only use 2 windows, and get 279K for telix and 180K for DOS.
this is enough to run most utility type programs, e.g. dos commands, shez pkzip
etc. PC-MIX also has a neat screen with bar graphs of each tasks CPU and IO
useage.

I only found one slight problem, that is you can copy files from a directory
being used by another task. i.e. you cant copy a .zip file out of your
download directory in order to view it. as long as you leave your comms package
directories alone you should not have any problem.

This is a great little package, and well worth a look.

P.S. its on my BBS.

Justin Smith

             Justin Smith   SYSOP- Orange Crush BBS  (708) 359-5379
                 24 Hours USRobotics HST14400/MNP5/V.32/V.42bis
Email UUNET smithju@motcid.uu.net  INTERNET motcid!smithju@chg.mcd.mot.com