[comp.dcom.modems] Xmodem question

harper@oravax.UUCP (Douglas Harper) (09/21/90)

Does anyone know of an implementation of the Xmodem protocol that runs
under BSD Unix on a VAX?  I have Microsoft Works on my PC at home,
and it expects the world to talk Xmodemese.

Any help gratefully accepted.

--
Douglas Harper                     oravax!harper@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu

There are no examples of anything that has no examples.
Therefore, everything has examples.
--

RREED%ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu (09/22/90)

In article <1668@oravax.UUCP>, harper@oravax.UUCP (Douglas Harper) says:

>Does anyone know of an implementation of the Xmodem protocol that runs
>under BSD Unix on a VAX?  I have Microsoft Works on my PC at home,
>and it expects the world to talk Xmodemese.

Just a suggestion, but why don't you pick up on the inexpensive terminal
programs such as Telix or the external protocol package DSZ from Omen
Technologies and use zmodem instead?  Things will go MUCH faster than
xmodem and you could use sz/rz on the Vax which is available all over the
place (should be able to email you a copy if can't find one, let me know).
My experience with zmodem and the Telix communcations package have been
nothing but favorable dealing with Unix based hosts.  I get 239 cps on a
2400 baud connection.

Reginald Reed -- Struggling Computer Science Student -- Does Bo Know Comp Sci??
BITNET=+> rreed@ucf1vm             INTERNET=+> rreed@{ucflan,ucf

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (09/22/90)

In article <1668@oravax.UUCP> harper@oravax.UUCP (Douglas Harper) writes:
>Does anyone know of an implementation of the Xmodem protocol that runs
>under BSD Unix on a VAX?  I have Microsoft Works on my PC at home,
>and it expects the world to talk Xmodemese.
>
>Any help gratefully accepted.

THIS TEXT FILE IS OLD, BUT IT OUGHT TO HELP:
I suppose it is possible that a newer version than xmodem36.shar
might be there at Simtel. Do an ls x* to see.
----------
The source for xmodem came from the Simtel
archives at White Sands Missile Range.
	If you wish to reproduce the source files, do the following:

Get in your local directory where you will want to keep
the source. Then:

  Type ftp 26.2.0.74 and then:

	login: anonymous
	password: guest

	ftp> get pd2:<unix-c.xyzmodem> xmodem36.shar

(The file xmodem36.shar will be got. Then...)

	ftp> bye

xmodem36.shar is a shell archive. Extract the sources by typing

	/bin/sh xmodem36.shar

Then type:

	make

to make the executable module. Move the executable module to wherever
you want it (/usr/local/bin is a good directory for it).

Bob Davis 3/17/89

Bob Davis, UofALA'66   \\ INTERNET : sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
Harris Corporation, ESS \\    UUCP : ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
Advanced Technology Dept.\\ AETHER : K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\ VOICE : (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |
Melbourne, FL 32902        \\  FAX : (407) 729-2537 | FOR MYSELF.  |_________|