[comp.dcom.modems] Intel V.32

CSP1DWD@OAC.UCLA.EDU (Denis DeLaRoca 825-4580, 213) (09/05/90)

      INTEL INTRODUCES $799 PLUG & PLAY 9600BPS MODEM WITH
      V.32, V.42bis COMPATIBILITY, UP TO 38K THROUGHPUT

      Hillsboro, Ore., August 27, 1990

      Setting a new price/performance standard for V.32 modems,
      Intel Corporation's Personal Computer Enhancement Operation
      (PCEO) today announced a 9600bps V.32 modem that provides
      error-free throughput of up to 38.4Kbps, conforms to
      international modem standards and offers plug-and-play
      convenience.  The 9600EX Modem is available at $799 for IBM
      personal computers and at $819 for Macintosh computers.
      Both versions include free communications software.

      "Exceptional performance and aggressive pricing make the
      9600EX a breakthrough product for the already fast-growing
      9600bps modem market", said Richard Gough, Intel PCEOs
      communications business unit manager.  By providing
      throughput of up to 38.4Kbps, the 9600EX gives users up to
      16 times the performance of a standard 2400bps modem at less
      than three times the cost and it makes high speed modem
      communications easier than ever before.  It going to make a
      lot of people think seriously about retiring their 2400bps
      modems.

      The 9600EX offers full compatibility with international
      modem standards.  It provides CCITT V.32 modulation and uses
      advanced CCITT V.42bis data compression to compress data as
      much as fourfold and produce effective throughput of as much
      as 38.4Kbps.  To ensure accurate data transmissions even
      over noisy lines, the 9600EX supports the V.42 Link Access
      Procedure for Modems (LAP-M) and the widely used Microcom
      Networking Protocol (MNP) Levels 1-5.  For communicating
      with the installed base of older modems, the 9600EX provides
      automatic speed selection and is compatible with standards
      for 9600bps, 4800bps, 2400bps, 1200bps and 300bps modems.

      "The 9600bps world has been plagued by proprietary protocols
      that left users wondering whether their high speed modem
      would be able to communicate with other modems", said Gough.
      By combining advanced data compression and full support for
      international standards with Intel's five-year warranty and
      technical support, the 9600EX offers the maximum in high
      performance and peace of mind.

      The 9600EX installs without jumpers or switches and comes
      configured to take advantage of advanced modem features,
      rather than requiring users to modify the default
      configuration to use any but the simplest features.  Free
      modem software configured for the 9600EX further simplifies
      installation and makes the modem immediately usable.

      The 9600EX comes with free communications software,
      Communications by Crosstalk.  Crosstalk is a division of
      Digital Communications Associates.  Communications by
      Crosstalk is a simplified version of Mk.4, the corporate de
      facto standard for advanced communications software.  The
      9600EX Macintosh option comes with Quick Link II by Smith
      Micro Software Inc., a popular Macintosh communications
      package.

      In addition to free communications software, the 9600EX
      includes coupons for a free membership and $15 in usage time
      on CompuServe and a free membership and one hour of free
      usage time on the Dow Jones News/Retrieval service.

      The 9600EX is an external, full-duplex modem for systems
      with asynchronous communications support, such as the IBM
      PC, XT, AT, PS/2 and compatibles.  The 9600EX Macintosh
      option includes a Macintosh serial cable.  The modems can
      operate as either synchronous or asynchronous devices over
      dial-up or two-wire leased lines, allowing communications
      with PCs, terminals, minicomputers and mainframes.  Support
      for the Hayes AT command set provides broad compatibility
      with communications software packages.

      High speed modems are the fastest growing segment of the
      modem market.  According to Dataquest, the V.32 segment is
      expected to grow at a cumulative rate of 44 percent between
      1989 and 1993, compared to eight percent growth for the
      modem market as a whole.  High speed modems are particularly
      useful in desktop publishing, graphics, accounting and other
      fields where users transfer large files, and for users of
      on-line services, bulletin boards and corporate
      communications networks.

      The 9600EX and 9600EX Macintosh option are available in more
      than 2,000 retail computer stores in the U.S. and Canada
      beginning in September 1990.  The products are covered by
      Intel's five-year warranty, with technical support available
      at (503) 629-7000 and through MCI Mail (INTEL SUPPORT) and
      CompuServe (GO PCEO or 70307,461).

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (09/07/90)

Sigh.  At least it was smaller than IBM's new product announcement.
They both should have been in comp.newprod.

RAF@CU.NIH.GOV ("Roger Fajman") (09/07/90)

> Sigh.  At least it was smaller than IBM's new product announcement.
> They both should have been in comp.newprod.

I'm interested in seeing such announcements here.  They are far more
interesting to me than discussions of Trailblazer S-register settings.
I am seeing this through Info-Modems Digest on the Internet.  Since
I don't have access to Usenet, postings to comp.newprod are of no use
to me.

campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) (09/08/90)

:
:      Hillsboro, Ore., August 27, 1990
:
:      Setting a new price/performance standard for V.32 modems,
:      Intel Corporation's Personal Computer Enhancement Operation
....deleted

I have been using DIGICOM v.32 modems for over a year now with a
$795.00 list price with no difficulties at all.  I don't have the
specifics here (I'm not in my office as I read this), but can
send info to anyone interested.

--
....microsoft--\                    Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-entropy----!thebes!camco!bill 6641 East Mercer Way

das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) (09/16/90)

I'm seriously thinking of buying 2 of these modems.  Does anyone
have any experience with them?  (Mail order is only $550!)

Also, any thoughts on V.42 versus MNP?  Is V.42 going to become the
world standard, or will MNP and others continue to slow the acceptance
of a single standard?

David

CSP1DWD@OAC.UCLA.EDU (Denis DeLaRoca 825-4580, 213) (09/19/90)

David,

As I understand it, from messages over on the IBMCOM sig forum on
Compuserve, there's some degree of variability in performance among
V.32(V.42bis) modems as regards the implementation of V.42bis com-
pression. You need not only a good implementation but also quite a
bit of CPU horsepower, the Intel modem has a 16mhz 80188 processor.

I suspect that one can not go wrong by buying some of the better known
label v.32 modems such as Hayes and Intel, the latter offers a 5 year
warranty and if it doesn't work as advertised they promise to take it
back. I am sure Hayes has a similar warranty. Also, both Hayes and
Intel offer online support on compuserve, a big plus to get you thru
problems and configuration issues.

As for prices, the CDW folks, advertised on PC Mag offer the Ultra
Hayes 9600 modem for $765 cash, while the Intel 9600EX goes for $499
cash.

-- Denis

pizzi@esacs.UUCP (Riccardo Pizzi) (09/19/90)

In article <44844@apple.Apple.COM>, das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) writes:

> I'm seriously thinking of buying 2 of these modems.  Does anyone
> have any experience with them?  (Mail order is only $550!)

Can you please post the address I can ask for these modems??
The price sounds really good.

Thanks

Rick, ITALY
--
Riccardo Pizzi @ ESA Software srl - ITALY
uunet: ....mcsun!i2unix!esacs!pizzi

asp@uunet.UU.NET (Andrew Partan) (09/22/90)

UUNET is selling the Telebit T1500 (V.32, no PEP) for $629-.  Contact
uunet!modems (modems@uunet.uu.net) for more info.
	--asp@uunet.uu.net (Andrew Partan)

das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) (09/22/90)

In article <1209@esacs.UUCP> pizzi@esacs.UUCP (Riccardo Pizzi) writes:
>Can you please post the address I can ask for these modems??
>The price sounds really good.

I got this price from MacConnection.  They take out big ads in most
issues of MacWorld.

David