[comp.dcom.modems] 2400 baud modems

alden@osupyr.UUCP (01/09/87)

Hello,
  Our computer site just bought a few 2400 baud modems and now
I'm interested in obtaining one.  I was wondering if anyone out
there had any suggestions for an inexpensive one.  In looking
through BYTE, the cheapest one I found is the Qubie modem for
$239.  Has anyone had any experiences with this modem?  BTW, I
have to get an external modem.  Oh yeah, one more thing, Hayes
compatability is not important, but it would be nice if the
modem did have some command set for auto-dialing.

...Thanks,
...Dave Alden
...Ohio State University
...alden%osupyr@cbosgd.UUCP  or  alden%osupyr@osu-eddie.UUCP

elric@csustan.UUCP (Elric of Imrryr) (01/10/87)

[]

Well, I have never used one, but I have heard from about 15 different
people that the US Robotics 2400 baud modems are really good, and
operate trouble free. (One person said they have a few problems
when the phones are noisy.)

	Brad

--
elric	Lunatic Labs @ Csustan {lll-crg,lll-lcc}!csustan!elric
Selling DES information to Iran, thru CIA secret banks.

brian@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Brian Kantor) (01/10/87)

I'm typing this using a USR Courier - whilst I'm waiting for my
Racal-Vadic to arrive.  It has the 243 firmware upgrade.

The 243 revision prom to the USR Courier did improve its performance in
the presence of phone line irregularities - you can now use it on dialup
lines most of the time.

It did NOT cure the problem that the Courier uses the Bell 2400
handshake instead of the v.22bis handshake.  There are a few modems out
there which simply do not accomodate the earlier Bell standard and will
therefore refuse to connect to the Courier.  (We have several Rixon
modems that exhibit this refusal, and the early versions of the Anchor
Lightning 2400 did too.)  Luckily, most current 2400bps modems will
accomodate both the Bell and V.22bis handshake, so you may never see the
problem.

Caveat Emptor.  Test it out.  See if you can get some sort of return
privileges if it isn't what you can use.  Sure is a nice price!

	Brian Kantor	UCSD Office of Academic Computing
			Academic Network Operations Group
			UCSD B-028, La Jolla, CA 92093 USA

myers@andromeda.UUCP (Scott R Myers) (01/10/87)

In article <122@osupyr.UUCP> alden@osupyr.UUCP writes:
>Hello,
>  Our computer site just bought a few 2400 baud modems and now
>I'm interested in obtaining one.  I was wondering if anyone out
>there had any suggestions for an inexpensive one.  In looking
>through BYTE, the cheapest one I found is the Qubie modem for
>$239.  Has anyone had any experiences with this modem?  BTW, I
>have to get an external modem.  Oh yeah, one more thing, Hayes
>compatability is not important, but it would be nice if the
>modem did have some command set for auto-dialing.

I have had experience with a few 2400 baud modems...  I have noticed
that reliable error checking is lost in the cheaper modems but for
the most part it doesn't create a big problem...  Personally I think
Racal-Vadic produces the best modems around but they do get expensive..
Best suggestion to you is get a copy of Computer Shopper put out by

Computer Shopper of Titusville, Inc.
407 S. Washington Ave
Titusville, FL 32796

It usually has very good prices and selection on most computer peripherals

Hope it helped.......

...!topaz!andromeda!myers  ><><><><><  myers@andromeda...

berger@clio.Uiuc.ARPA (01/13/87)

NEC modems are superior, commercial grade products with a 5 year
unlimited warranty.  Although they're more expensive than the
hobby grade modems, NEC makes substantial discounts available
to educational institutions (around 40% off).

GMS@PSUVM.BITNET (01/19/87)

I have been using the US Robotics Courier 2400 for about 6 months now.  I
use it daily, for up to 5 hours at a shot, on local lines and it works like
a charm. On long-distance lines I have had some problems getting a clean
line for 2400 baud, but at 1200 baud it works great.  The led's are nice, the
duplication of a pocket command book on the underside of the modem is
a plus.  Also it is light and easy to carry when I have to travel. The phone
plug is good for vice/data comm when you have to go through a motel
switchboard.  Basically I've been satisfied.

NOTE --> This represents my personal/professional view and is in no way
         an endorsement of any product by my employer!

 Gerry Santoro                                        ******  *
 Microcomputer Information & Support Center        **********    *
 Penn State University                           ******   ****     *
 101 Computer Building                         ********   ****       *
 University Park, PA  16802                   ***************         *
 (814) 863-4356                               ************            *
                                              *********               *
                                               *******     **        *
 GMS @ PSUVM  (bitnet)                           *****     **      *
 ...!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!gms   (uucp)             ****          *
 gms%psuvm.bitnet@wscvm.arpa    (arpa)                *********

dmkdmk@ecsvax.UUCP (David M. Kurtiak) (01/21/87)

In article <9701GMS@PSUVM>, GMS@PSUVM.BITNET writes:

> I have been using the US Robotics Courier 2400 for about 6 months now.  I
> use it daily, for up to 5 hours at a shot, on local lines and it works like
> a charm. On long-distance lines I have had some problems getting a clean
> line for 2400 baud, but at 1200 baud it works great.  The led's are nice, the
> duplication of a pocket command book on the underside of the modem is
> a plus.  Also it is light and easy to carry when I have to travel. The phone
> plug is good for vice/data comm when you have to go through a motel
> switchboard.  Basically I've been satisfied.

I have also heard some nice things about the USR Courier 2400 baud
modem.  One of my major concerns though, is whether or not it has an
automatic fallback if in case the lines are too noisy to support the
fast transmissions.  Does it also support 300 baud calls (originate)?
There are still a few BBSs that I call that only support 300 baud, though
most have 1200.  Are there any problems switching to the slower speeds?
The $189 for the modem just seems too good to be true, but I'd really
like to hear more about it.
---
David M. Kurtiak
UNC - Greensboro
{decvax,philabs,seismo,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!dmkdmk -or-
{allegra}!ulysses!ecsvax!dmkdmk (recommended)
dmkdmk@ecsvax.BITNET

jeffp@phred.UUCP (01/22/87)

In article <2589@ecsvax.UUCP> dmkdmk@ecsvax.UUCP (David M. Kurtiak) writes:
>In article <9701GMS@PSUVM>, GMS@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>> I have been using the US Robotics Courier 2400 for about 6 months now.  I
>> switchboard.  Basically I've been satisfied.

>I have also heard some nice things about the USR Courier 2400 baud
>The $189 for the modem just seems too good to be true, but I'd really
>like to hear more about it.

I just spoke with Softline in Brooklin, NY today.  The $189 was for some board-
based IBM PC modems, and they don't carry them anymore.  The regular stand-alone
Courier 2400 isn't so cheap.

{seismo!nike!uw-beaver, ihnp4!allegra!fluke} !tikal!phred!jeffp {Jeff Parke}
Genie  : JEFFP
DELPHI : JEFFPARKE

pnessutt@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU@nis.UUCP (01/23/87)

I've talked with several people who have used the US Robotics 2400.
I've heard no bad remarks in regards to it's step down ability.  For
$179, its a steal.

If I had a chance to buy another (rather than the Ventel 2400 I
currently have), I'd buy the US Robotics.
--
 Robert A. Monio                              UUCP: ihnp4!meccts!nis!pnessutt
 Systems/Analyst - Technical Services         ATT: (612) 894-9494

pnessutt@nis.UUCP (Robert A. Monio) (01/23/87)

I've talked with several people who have used the US Robotics 2400.
I've heard no bad remarks in regards to it's step down ability.  For
$179, its a steal.

If I had a chance to buy another (rather than the Ventel 2400 I
currently have), I'd buy the US Robotics.

--
 Robert A. Monio                              UUCP: ihnp4!meccts!nis!pnessutt
 Systems/Analyst - Technical Services         ATT: (612) 894-9494
 National Information Systems, Inc.
                      "These Proceedings are Closed!"

rbl@nitrex.UUCP (01/30/87)

We have a number of Concord 224 AD (auto-dial) modems.  They seem to be
as good as any we've tried.

Does anyone have a modemcap entry for this modem for use with UNIX System 5?

Rob Lake
decvax!cwruecmp!nitrex!rbl
ihnp4!{cbosgd,cbatt}!nitrex!rbl
(216)-581-5976

DISCLAIMER:  I know so little about data communications that my opinions
are dangerous!  My employer employs data communications experts who know
a lot more than I do about this subject.  I just use these boxes.

gildea@EDDIE.MIT.EDU@mit-erl.UUCP (02/03/87)

We are about to purchase a new modem and would like to get one that
can do 2400 baud.  Of course, it also has to do 1200 and 300 and auto
dial.  Any recommendations or comments?

Please reply to me directly; I'm not on the list anymore.

Thanks.

 < Stephen

bob@osu-eddie.UUCP (02/06/87)

In article <KPETERSEN.12276515323.BABYL@SIMTEL20.ARPA> pnessutt@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU@nis.UUCP (Robert A. Monio) writes:

>I've talked with several people who have used the US Robotics 2400.
>...For $179, its a steal.

Where can I order it for that price?
--
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277

fritzson@bigburd.UUCP (02/08/87)

In article <3071@osu-eddie.UUCP> bob@osu-eddie.UUCP (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>In article <KPETERSEN.12276515323.BABYL@SIMTEL20.ARPA> pnessutt@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU@nis.UUCP (Robert A. Monio) writes:
>
>>I've talked with several people who have used the US Robotics 2400.
>>...For $179, its a steal.
>
>Where can I order it for that price?

You can not get the US Robotics 2400 baud external modem for $179. That
price referred to a special sale on the IBM PC internal version of the
modem. The original message is weeks old but the price keeps getting
reposted.

ROODE%BIONET@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU.UUCP (02/08/87)

Both US Robotics Courier 2400E and Multitech CTS 2400-MNP modems seem
to be available for around $435 at discounters.  The MNP error
correction is automatically disabled for interoperation with modems
that do not have it.  Can anyone see any disadvantage to modems that
include this error correction?

authorplaceholder@tiger.UUCP.UUCP (02/08/87)

/* Written  9:10 pm  Jan 22, 1987 by pnessutt@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU@nis.UUCP in tiger.UUCP:comp.dcom.mode */
/* ---------- "2400 baud modems" ---------- */
I've talked with several people who have used the US Robotics 2400.
I've heard no bad remarks in regards to it's step down ability.  For
$179, its a steal.

If I had a chance to buy another (rather than the Ventel 2400 I
currently have), I'd buy the US Robotics.
--
 Robert A. Monio                              UUCP: ihnp4!meccts!nis!pnessutt
 Systems/Analyst - Technical Services         ATT: (612) 894-9494
 National Information Systems, Inc.
/* End of text from tiger.UUCP:comp.dcom.mode */
AT&T also makes a good "tri speed" 2400 bps modem called the 4124 for
about $200.

pnessutt@nis.UUCP (02/09/87)

In article <2235@bigburd.UUCP> fritzson@burdvax.UUCP (Richard Fritzson) writes:
>In article <3071@osu-eddie.UUCP> bob@osu-eddie.UUCP (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>>In article <KPETERSEN.12276515323.BABYL@SIMTEL20.ARPA> pnessutt@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU@nis.UUCP (Robert A. Monio) writes:
>>
>>>I've talked with several people who have used the US Robotics 2400.
>>>...For $179, its a steal.
>>
>>Where can I order it for that price?
>
>You can not get the US Robotics 2400 baud external modem for $179. That
>price referred to a special sale on the IBM PC internal version of the
>modem. The original message is weeks old but the price keeps getting
>reposted.

Thank you.  I've been inudated with messages concerning this.  I was
going to make my own posting, but it seems that someone has gotten to
it before me.

The local firm which was selling the internal 2400 US Robotics has
since raised their prices on the unit.  It was a special only for a
while.  I had responded to someone else who had seen a similar
advertisement for the unit at that price.

I'm sorry if this has caused any problems.  The sale's over, guys.

--
 Robert A. Monio                              UUCP: ihnp4!meccts!nis!pnessutt
 Systems/Analyst - Technical Services         ATT: (612) 894-9494
 National Information Systems, Inc.
                      "These Proceedings are Closed!"

jerry@SEISMO.CSS.GOV@oliveb.UUCP (02/13/87)

Regarding disadvantages for MNP.  I have had two problems with an MNP
equipped modem (Vadic 2400 PA).  The first is that it will NOT talk to
Vadic 3467 modem unless I disable the MNP negotiation.  I suspect this
may relate somehow to the VA3400 protocol that the 3467 supports but
never pinned down the exact cause.

The second problem is the time required for the MNP negotiation.  By
the time the MNP modem has decided that the other modem does not have
MNP and informed me of the fact, I have usually missed the prompt sent
by the other system.  Perhaps the real problem here is all that
verbose output.  There should be some way to turn it off.  My UUCP
software doesn't really care whether MNP was used on a particular
connection.

Are these problems common to other implementations of MNP?

The main reason I got the Vadic 2400 PA is that it supports speed
conversion.  This makes the baudrate supported by the answering modem
transparent to me, greatly simplifying automated connections.

SPGDCM%UCBCMSA.Berkeley.EDU@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (02/13/87)

We are starting to use 2400 baud modems here and prefer the
error-correcting protocol by a long shot. However there is a logical
"deficiency" of sorts.  If a line got very bad with a regular modem
you might see lots of error characters and say "look here, a bad
line/connection/modem". With the correction going on, however, you'd
see what might look like a degredation in response time, up to perhaps
very severe. This COULD result in incorrect perceptions or conclusions
about services or response time rather than a realization about broken
lines/modems.

Thanks, Doug

berger@clio.UUCP (02/17/87)

Do you really find the error correction helpful?  The 2400 baud modems
I've used are very noise-resistant, much more so than a 212a.

cs411s03@uhccux.UUCP (Scot Rosado) (04/07/88)

I am currently looking for a 2400 baud External Modem.  Could anyone recommend
a reliable brand?  Thus far, I have foun Hayes to be expensive, and the rest
I am uncertain of.  I have heard that modems which support MNP suppress line
noise readily.  I have heard specifically that MNP must be a feature used at
both communication ends.

It seems that people are recommending Practical Periperals 2400, U.S. Robotics
Courrier 2400, and the Multitech 2400.  I really don't know which is good.  Any
insight will be much appreciated.

		Thanks!

		Scot Rosado

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (04/08/88)

I've been using a 2400bps USR Courier 2400 for about 8 months and am
very satisfied with it.  I've had no noise problems with it at all,
and this is even an MNPless modem.  It does Hayes command set things
with a few extensions, and isn't UPPERCASE SPECIFIC, that is, it
believes in lowercase as well.  Mine cost me about $220 last August.

--Karl

peter@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Peter J Diaz de Leon) (07/23/88)

I am looking for opinions (good or bad) regarding the following
2400 baud external modem.

SmarTeam	2400AT
Smartone	2000
Zoom		MX2400
ZuckerBoard	2400
INFOTEL		2400
Packard Bell	PB2400
Avatex		2400

All of the above modems are sold by Midwest Peripherals which advertises
very heavily in Computer Shopper.  Has anyone delt with this company?
If so how were you treated?

			Thanks
			-Peter

P.S.
How about the  INCOMM DATA TURBO 2400?

ARPA: peter@csd4.milw.wisc.edu       USMAIL: Peter J. Diaz de Leon
      peter@uwm-cs.milw.wisc.edu             7411 W. Warnimont Ave.
					     Milwaukee, WI. 53220

UUCP: ihnp4!uwmcsd1!uwm-evax!peter   ICBM:   43 4 58 N / 87 55 52 W
ARPA: peter@csd4.milw.wisc.edu       USMAIL: Peter J. Diaz de Leon
      peter@uwm-cs.milw.wisc.edu             7411 W. Warnimont Ave.
					     Milwaukee, WI. 53220

UUCP: ihnp4!uwmcsd1!uwm-evax!peter   ICBM:   43 4 58 N / 87 55 52 W

dbell@cup.portal.com (07/25/88)

See postings under "modems for sale"...

I've put up a referance to a really inexpensive internal
modem for IBM's:

CompuCom Corp
1275 Palomas Ave
Sunnyvale, CA  94089
(408) 732-4500
(800) ACT-ON-IT

  ... is selling the CCC2400, fully Hayes-compatible, internal,
half-card modem, for $95, plus tax and $3.50 S/H...
This device uses the T.I. chip set, provides auto baud detect,
auto answer/originate (jumper suppressable answer), automatic, adaptive
line compensation, all Hayes 'S' and 'X' registers, etc, etc, etc...

They sell only through a national order desk (as above), manufacture
the modems in California, and drop-ship direct from the factory, in
a day or three.

They also offer a thirty-day unconditional guarantee, so TRY IT!

DABHC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (03/14/89)

I am currently using a 1200 Baud Leading Edge model "L" modem, and I am
interested in upgrading to a 2400 baud modem.  I would appreciate information
about 2400 baud internal modems under $170. The information should be technical
in nature and not of the "my modem is great" type.  Please direct all replies
to me personally as I will compile all the data into a concise report which I
will then proceed to post.
                           Ari Buchler
                        DABHC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

stewartc@amc-gw.amc.com (Stewart Castaldi) (09/27/90)

We are looking for external 2400 baud modems. They will be on-line 24 hours
a day and will be called from various brands of modems.  Therefore
they must be reliable and robust.  From my experience the Hayes 2400
fits this description however the best price I have seen is $350.
I would appreciate any info on other brands of modems that fits the
above description or sources of Hayes modems at cheaper prices.
Please E-mail to me and I will summarize to the net.  Thanks.
--
Stewart Castaldi                          DNS: stewartc@amc.com
Applied Microsystems Corporation	 UUCP: amc-gw!stewartc