[comp.dcom.modems] MNP.2 in Software

I.G.Batten@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Ian G Batten) (09/04/90)

Suppose I wanted to implement MNP in software, rather than using a modem
that provides it.  This is ``real work'', so there would be budgets
available.  Who would need to be contacted to arrange any licensing?
Where would I obtain the specification?  Does anyone sell a version?
Has anyone done this already?

ian

tnixon@hayes.uucp (Toby Nixon) (09/07/90)

In article <5_}%4H+@masalla.fulcrum.bt.co.uk>,
I.G.Batten@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Ian G Batten) writes:

> Suppose I wanted to implement MNP in software, rather than using a modem
> that provides it.  This is ``real work'', so there would be budgets
> available.  Who would need to be contacted to arrange any licensing?
> Where would I obtain the specification?  Does anyone sell a version?
> Has anyone done this already?

MNP Classes 1-4 are public, with no licensing required.  They are
documented in CCITT Recommendation V.42 (Annex A).  You may also
want to buy Microcom's documentation for $100 if you want a second
reference (they're located in Norwood, MA).

MNP5 and higher layers are covered by patents and other licensing
restrictions owned by Microcom.

I am aware of at least two companies who have already done MNP2/4/5
in software: MagicSoft in Lombard, IL (MTE) and SoftKlone in
Tallahassee, FL (Mirror III).  Also, I'm aware of a company in
France doing an MNP 2/4/5 software implementation for Macintosh.
Also, Greg Pearson of Microcom, the "father" (original designer) of
MNP, has posted on Compuserve a "sample" implementation of MNP2 in C
(source code); it is in the IBM Communications Forum libraries.

	-- Toby

Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer     Fax:    +1-404-441-1213  Telex: 6502670805
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc.  Voice:  +1-404-449-8791  CIS:    70271,404
Norcross, Georgia, USA             BBS:    +1-404-446-6336  MCI:       TNIXON
                                   Telemail: T.NIXON/HAYES  AT&T:     !tnixon
UUCP:   ...!uunet!hayes!tnixon     Internet:        hayes!tnixon@uunet.uu.net
MHS:    C=US / AD=ATTMAIL / PN=TOBY_L_NIXON / DD=TNIXON

shad04@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Dan Fandrich) (09/08/90)

In article <5_}%4H+@masalla.fulcrum.bt.co.uk> I.G.Batten@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Ian G Batten) writes:
>Suppose I wanted to implement MNP in software, rather than using a modem
>that provides it.  This is ``real work'', so there would be budgets
>available.  Who would need to be contacted to arrange any licensing?
>Where would I obtain the specification?  Does anyone sell a version?
>Has anyone done this already?

I remember seeing somewhere the C source for an MNP 2 implementation.  I
believe it was in the file PD2:<MSDOS2.MODEM>MNP.ARC at SIMTEL20, but I've
never needed it myself, so I can't be sure.

>>> Dan
--
Internet: shad04@ccu.umanitoba.ca   CI$: 72365,306   FidoNet: 1:153/511.1

shawn@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Shawn Shealy) (09/28/90)

In article <1494@hayes.uucp> tnixon@hayes.uucp (Toby Nixon) writes:
>Also, Greg Pearson of Microcom, the "father" (original designer) of
>MNP, has posted on Compuserve a "sample" implementation of MNP2 in C
>(source code); it is in the IBM Communications Forum libraries.

Could someone either:

- email a copy of this source code to me (either implementation)
	(are these sample implementations public domain?)
- let me know how to retrieve one of these files
	(if it is possible for me to do so)
- let me know where I could find out how to retrieve one of these files

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
-shawn