[comp.dcom.modems] Zmodem Worked!!

kchiu@carina.unm.edu (Secret) (08/07/90)

	I would liked to thank Jim Graham helping me solving the Zmodem
probelm I had with the Network. The solution is that to turn off Xon/Xoff,
and that to use the rlogin protocol, When I get on my terminal server,
I have to type "Terminal telnet-transparent" and "terminal download" and
after that type "rlogin <System>" to log in to the system. It worked for
Xmodem, Ymodem and Zmodem.
	Again, Thanks, Jim.

grahj@gagme.chi.il.us (jim graham) (08/09/90)

In article <606@gagme.chi.il.us> I wrote some stuff about getting X/Y/Zmodem
to work through a network....but forgot to mention a couple of things....
and my computer at work just reminded me....when a transfer refused to go....

First, if you are going from a dos box to a UN*X machine, you may run into
problems with file name arguments.....  dos seems to think that all filenames
are in UPPERCASE, while UN*X understands both upper and lower case....

So, if you are using something like Zmodem, that takes care of the filenames
anyway, do NOT specify filenames....the 2 sides may just argue forever about
what the filename is, and what is supposed to be sent.

Second, and this is a trial-and-error thing, you may have to add some options
to the rz command when uploading from a dos-box to UN*X (others?) in the case
of binary files (e.g., tars, compressed tars, etc.).  If you try the transfer,
and it doesn't manage to send even the first packet (but the transfer DID
manage to get started.....), you may need to tell the Zmodem receiver 2 things:

   1) this is a binary file (normally it figures this out on its own....but...)
   2) force the sender to escape all Zmodem transfer control chars.

To do this, give rz the ``-be'' options.

This will result in reduced throughput (on a good phone line, at 2400 bps,
normal throughput tends to be about 245 CPS --- with the -be options, it
drops to about 190 CPS).

If anyone has any other info on file transfers through terminal servers,
or through networks in general (X/Y/Zmodem, that is....not ftp, etc), I'd
love to hear about it.  If you don't want to post it to the world, please
just send a reply to me.

Jim Graham
Amoco Corporation
Network Design/Transmission Engineering

Standard disclaimer applies....these opinions are mine, not Amoco's.

caf@omen.UUCP (WA7KGX) (08/11/90)

:
:First, if you are going from a dos box to a UN*X machine, you may run into
:problems with file name arguments.....  dos seems to think that all filenames
:are in UPPERCASE, while UN*X understands both upper and lower case....

The ZMODEM standard specifies that pathnames be sent in lower case unless
the sending operating system supports upper and lower case.  Don't hack
rz, get a good DOs comms program with a good ZMODEM.

:Second, and this is a trial-and-error thing, you may have to add some options
:to the rz command when uploading from a dos-box to UN*X (others?) in the case
:of binary files (e.g., tars, compressed tars, etc.).  If you try the transfer,
:and it doesn't manage to send even the first packet (but the transfer DID
:manage to get started.....), you may need to tell the Zmodem receiver 2 things:
:
:   1) this is a binary file (normally it figures this out on its own....but...)
:   2) force the sender to escape all Zmodem transfer control chars.

A good ZMODEM implementation can handle this at the sending end,
and should default to binary transfer.

:
:To do this, give rz the ``-be'' options.
:
:This will result in reduced throughput (on a good phone line, at 2400 bps,
:normal throughput tends to be about 245 CPS --- with the -be options, it
:drops to about 190 CPS).

The control character escaping can be controlled more closely with
MODEM-90(tm) reducing the overhead.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF

tempest@walleye.uucp (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (09/28/90)

In article <60@omen.UUCP> caf@omen.UUCP (WA7KGX) writes:
>:drops to about 190 CPS).
>
>The control character escaping can be controlled more closely with
>MODEM-90(tm) reducing the overhead.

I thought rz/sz doesn't support MODEM-90.  Chuck, did you release
a new version of it that has the -90 extensions?  If so, what is
the latest version?  Without MODEM-90 a reduction of overhead
won't occur if the UNIX end can't take advantage of it, too.
Yeah, perhaps the PC end can when sending, but not vice versa ==
kludge.

Ken
.............................................................________________.
tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu, tempest@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu,|Kenneth K.F. Lui|
tempest@sutro.sfsu.edu, tempest@wet.UUCP                     |________________|

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (09/29/90)

In article <1990Sep28.073137.2862@ecst.csuchico.edu> tempest@walleye.UUCP (Kenneth K.F. Lui) writes:
>In article <60@omen.UUCP> caf@omen.UUCP (WA7KGX) writes:
>>:drops to about 190 CPS).
>>
>>The control character escaping can be controlled more closely with
>>MODEM-90(tm) reducing the overhead.
>
>I thought rz/sz doesn't support MODEM-90.  Chuck, did you release
>a new version of it that has the -90 extensions?  If so, what is

The current VMS rz/sz in rzsz.tlb supports ZMODEM-90(Tm) extensions,
as does the sz on GEnie (General Electric information service).
The sz on BIX will be upgraded soon.

On Unix systems, Professional-YAM is linked to rz and sz to provide
ZMODEM-90 extensions.  Professional-YAM is available for 386 *nix
systems in executable form, and under source license for other
versions of Unix.

Unix rz/sz with ZMODEM-90 may be made available under license
if there is interest.