[comp.dcom.modems] Serial Line Multiplexers

dave@vlsi-mentor.jpl.nasa.gov (David Hayes) (09/26/90)

I need a device that will allow a user calling in on a modem to select one of
two computers like so:

                         *------ Computer A
modem  ------------o----->
                         *------ Computer B

                  |_______|

(This switch software selectable by user calling in on modem)

Do these exist? How many lines can I have? How much do they cost?

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
----
Dave Hayes  dave@vlsi-mentor.jpl.nasa.gov

vernon@hpcvaac.cv.hp.com (Vernon King) (09/27/90)

What you want is a small data pbx. I have not seen such a creature but I think
one could be made from parts if one had some good technical skills. Below is
a sequence of events that would do the job. If you added a callback type modem
to the system you would add some security to your system if needed.
1.)modem answers, hitting some key would get mini data pbx attention.
2.)sending another character would select which relay to engage to allow
connection to appropriate output port on black box. (be sure to surge protect
the switching process, some serial ports do not like knife edge connectors
switching if thats what you use.)
3.)when done with connection send key stroke sequence to disconnect mini pbx
and reset box for next connection.

Sounds like a good idea for a product to me.

                             Vernon

macklin@garnet.berkeley.edu (Macklin Burnham) (09/27/90)

In article <1990Sep26.004728.28349@vlsi-mentor.jpl.nasa.gov> dave@vlsi-mentor.jpl.nasa.gov (David Hayes) writes:
>I need a device that will allow a user calling in on a modem to select one of
>two computers like so:
>
>                         *------ Computer A
>modem  ------------o----->
>                         *------ Computer B
>
>                  |_______|
>(This switch software selectable by user calling in on modem)
>
>Do these exist? How many lines can I have? How much do they cost?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.

My brand new Black Box catalogue shows exactly what you want, called a
"serial code operated switch", for only $290. They also have 4- and 8-port
versions, for $450 and $650, respectively.
Mack Burnham

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (10/01/90)

>>I need a device that will allow a user calling in on a modem to select one of
>>two computers like so:
>>
>>                         *------ Computer A
>>modem  ------------o----->
>>                         *------ Computer B
>>
>>                  |_______|
>>(This switch software selectable by user calling in on modem)
>>
>My brand new Black Box catalogue shows exactly what you want, called a
>"serial code operated switch", for only $290. They also have 4- and 8-port
>versions, for $450 and $650, respectively.

The big question would be if it handles DTR, CD, etc correctly.  You need
this for a production dial-in setup.

--
Jon Zeeff (NIC handle JZ)	 zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us