[comp.dcom.modems] Are there modems that can do V.29 and V.32? + other questions.

robertb@june.cs.washington.edu (Robert Bedichek) (09/28/90)

I am thinking of buying a T2500, however one site that I call is
planning on getting V.29 9600 baud modems.  I understand that the
T2500 does PEP and V.32.  I was kind of hoping that V.29 was a subset
of V.32.  If this isn't the case, are there modems that can do both?

The CS department here is thinking of buying a bank of V.29 modems.  Is
it reasonable for us to buy a bank of V.29, but not V.32 modems?  Or
should I go try to convince the administrators that V.29 + PEP, or V.32
is almost as inexpensive?

Is it usually the case that T2500's can work at 9600 or better across
the country?  How about from Boston to Japan?

Where is a good place to buy the T2500 (or whatever you recommend)
and what should I expect to pay?

I currently have a pair of USR Courier HST modems that I bought for
$625 apiece, what are used HST's selling for now?  The HST's work fine,
but only with each other at 9600 baud.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can lend,

	Robert Bedichek   robertb@cs.washington.edu

tnixon@hayes.uucp (Toby Nixon) (10/01/90)

In article <13159@june.cs.washington.edu>,
robertb@june.cs.washington.edu (Robert Bedichek) writes:

> I am thinking of buying a T2500, however one site that I call is
> planning on getting V.29 9600 baud modems.  I understand that the
> T2500 does PEP and V.32.  I was kind of hoping that V.29 was a subset
> of V.32.  If this isn't the case, are there modems that can do both?

V.29 is NOT a subset of V.32.  V.32 can do full-duplex 9600bps on
two-wire dial-up phone lines.  V.29 is designed for full-duplex only
on four-wire leased lines, although it can do half-duplex on dialup
lines (it is the 7200/9600 modulation scheme used for Group 3 fax,
for example).

V.29 is rarely used in PC-class modems.  Only Microcom MNP6 modems
use V.29 modulation, but it is "hidden" as a fast-turnaround
ping-pong modulation for error-control (it's not directly accessible
to a synchornous host).  There are several companies that sell V.29
modems for dial-up and leased lines for synchronous mainframe links,
but I don't know of any that have both V.29 and V.32 in the same
modem.

> The CS department here is thinking of buying a bank of V.29 modems.  Is
> it reasonable for us to buy a bank of V.29, but not V.32 modems?  Or
> should I go try to convince the administrators that V.29 + PEP, or V.32
> is almost as inexpensive?

Whether to buy V.29 or V.32 depends on the application.  If you're
going to be using the modems for PCs or terminals calling in for
interactive work, V.29 modems are NOT the way to go.  You can't
generally get V.29 and other PC modulation schemes in the same modem
(although some sites WANT to restrict access to only particular
types of modems as a security measure).  V.32 modems are much more
widely available, are much better for virtually all applications,
and are soon going to be cheaper than V.29 because of higher volume.
You can't get V.29+PEP in the same modem, as far as I know.

Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer     Fax:    +1-404-441-1213  Telex: 6502670805
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc.  Voice:  +1-404-449-8791  CIS:    70271,404
Norcross, Georgia, USA             BBS:    +1-404-446-6336  MCI:       TNIXON
                                   Telemail: T.NIXON/HAYES  AT&T:     !tnixon
UUCP:   ...!uunet!hayes!tnixon     Internet:        hayes!tnixon@uunet.uu.net
MHS:    C=US / AD=ATTMAIL / PN=TOBY_L_NIXON / DD=TNIXON

bruce@ccavax.camb.com (10/03/90)

In article <13159@june.cs.washington.edu>, robertb@june.cs.washington.edu (Robert Bedichek) writes:
> I am thinking of buying a T2500, however one site that I call is
> planning on getting V.29 9600 baud modems.  I understand that the
> T2500 does PEP and V.32.  I was kind of hoping that V.29 was a subset
> of V.32.  If this isn't the case, are there modems that can do both?

IMHO anyone who is buying a V.29 modem is making a sad mistake, unless
it is just for g3 fax.

PEP? sure it is popular, but Telebit came out with the T2500 because
users were clamoring for a modem that would allow them high speed
standards based interoperability with virtually brand globally. If you don't
have lots of PEP only sites to call, you need not even bother getting it.
Additionally, as LARGE users are taking literally HUNDREDS of phone ckts
directly into DSP based modems in just one rack. These are on T1 channels
staying digital the whole way. Telebit is very afraid that PEP may be left
by the wayside. If you can believe rumors, I would suspect they are BEGGING
companies like Primary Access to include PEP as an option. I doubt it will
sell many more modems for Primary Access, but it WILL help keep Telebit's
PEP sales up.

But if you will settle for V.32 + V.42 at about $795 list (noone pays list
for modems...), and that can be upgraded to V.32bis (14.4kb raw speed)
with v.42bis AND includes v.29 g3 fax support with PC s/w for faxing all
for $200. more, you need to try DigiCom Systems Inc (DSI). You will have
to ask them if the v.29 they offer is compatible with what you need.

So there IS a modem that does v.32bis + v.42bis + some sort of v.29.

And No, I have NO connection with DSI.

smartin@torsys02_1.uucp (Stephen Martin) (10/04/90)

In article <32979.270932c6@ccavax.camb.com> bruce@ccavax.camb.com writes:

>> From: bruce@ccavax.camb.com
>> Newsgroups: comp.dcom.modems
>> Date: 3 Oct 90 04:37:26 GMT

>> In article <13159@june.cs.washington.edu>, robertb@june.cs.washington.edu (Robert Bedichek) writes:
>> > I am thinking of buying a T2500, however one site that I call is
>> > planning on getting V.29 9600 baud modems.  I understand that the
>> > T2500 does PEP and V.32.  I was kind of hoping that V.29 was a subset
>> > of V.32.  If this isn't the case, are there modems that can do both?

>> IMHO anyone who is buying a V.29 modem is making a sad mistake, unless
>> it is just for g3 fax.

>> PEP? sure it is popular, but Telebit came out with the T2500 because
>> users were clamoring for a modem that would allow them high speed
>> standards based interoperability with virtually brand globally. If you don't
>> have lots of PEP only sites to call, you need not even bother getting it.
>> Additionally, as LARGE users are taking literally HUNDREDS of phone ckts
>> directly into DSP based modems in just one rack. These are on T1 channels
>> staying digital the whole way. Telebit is very afraid that PEP may be left
>> by the wayside. If you can believe rumors, I would suspect they are BEGGING
>> companies like Primary Access to include PEP as an option. I doubt it will
>> sell many more modems for Primary Access, but it WILL help keep Telebit's
>> PEP sales up.

>> But if you will settle for V.32 + V.42 at about $795 list (noone pays list
>> for modems...), and that can be upgraded to V.32bis (14.4kb raw speed)
>> with v.42bis AND includes v.29 g3 fax support with PC s/w for faxing all
>> for $200. more, you need to try DigiCom Systems Inc (DSI). You will have
>> to ask them if the v.29 they offer is compatible with what you need.

>> So there IS a modem that does v.32bis + v.42bis + some sort of v.29.

>> And No, I have NO connection with DSI.

I have a lousy data race modem that is suppose to do V.29.  Does anyone know
how i could get this to send and receive faxes from a Sun?

--
Stephen Martin               -------    LSI Logic Corporation of Canada, Inc.
Phone: (416) 620-7400     LSI|LOGIC|    Suite 1110, 401 The West Mall,